Will Crosby ever win another Art Ross?

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
Did you know Lemieux made players around him better too during those years. Warren Young, Terry Ruskowski, Rob Brown. His teams also competed for playoff spots too. They didn’t regress. Let me know when McDavid gets there.
Young, yes. Ruskowski, no, he was a 70 point guy with the Blackhawks, 63 with the Pens is not noticeably better.

He gets partial credit on Rob Brown, but the major catalyst for the whole team was the addition of Paul Coffey. Lemieux's numbers exploded when Coffey was added in Nov 1987. The Pens scored 74 PP goals the year before Coffey arrived, then 110 and 119 his first two seasons there.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
No because he has started to do what LeBron James has been doing in Cleveland for years: he goes through the motions in the regular season, the team finishes wherever it finishes as long as they make the playoffs, they look like this may be the year where they are finally vulnerable and then, BOOM, he flips the switch. I think last night proved that

Which is the luxury that Crosby has due to playing with a talented and deep roster. He doesn't have to carry the team. McDavid is largely the one trick pony...if he takes a night off, they lose.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He's great over small sample sizes like playoffs and shortened seasons though. At this point in his career his claim to fame is the Conn Smythe, an award he can ride to with a great team supporting him and questionable votes. He's not Art Ross material anymore, too difficult for him, the individual competition is just too good.

What a load of shit. Small samples my ass. Over the biggest sample of all last year, all games played, he was #1 in points,#1 in goals and #1 in PPG.

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Which is the luxury that Crosby has due to playing with a talented and deep roster. He doesn't have to carry the team. McDavid is largely the one trick pony...if he takes a night off, they lose.

I think he would have stepped up if he really needed. He certainly did that last year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sure he's not having his typical Crosby season this year but he's only 30 years old. Other players have won the Art Ross at an older age than he is. Moreover, Crosby has shown us to never count him out.

Does he win another Art Ross before his career is over?
I'm sure he's much more interested in Conn Smyths and Cups.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I want to say his time has probably passed and its time for the new era of Art Ross winners.

But he's Sidney f***ing Crosby so I'd be dumb to outright say no.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He could do it but the competition will be very tough with McDavid, Matthews, Kucherov etc in there

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Young, yes. Ruskowski, no, he was a 70 point guy with the Blackhawks, 63 with the Pens is not noticeably better.

He gets partial credit on Rob Brown, but the major catalyst for the whole team was the addition of Paul Coffey. Lemieux's numbers exploded when Coffey was added in Nov 1987. The Pens scored 74 PP goals the year before Coffey arrived, then 110 and 119 his first two seasons there.

Partial credit on a journeyman who scored 49 goals on his wing??

Reactions: NOLAPensFan

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
He could do it but the competition will be very tough with McDavid, Matthews, Kucherov etc in there
:laugh:

Truth be told, Kucherov will fall back down to earth next season. They all do. Henrik Sedin, Kane, Benn, Tavares, etc. They all have 1 or 2 elite seasons in them and then they slide right back into the rest of the pack. What makes Crosby so great is that he's always right there at or near the top.

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
:laugh:

Truth be told, Kucherov will fall back down to earth next season. They all do. Henrik Sedin, Kane, Benn, Tavares, etc. They all have 1 or 2 elite seasons in them and then they slide right back into the rest of the pack. What makes Crosby so great is that he's always right there at or near the top.

While I agree with your comment about Crosby, I think you're mistaken about Kucherov. The guy is elite, and whether or not he wins the Art Ross next year, he will continue be elite for the next while.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
He's to busy winning Conn Smyths to care about Art Rosses
This!
Crosby could care less about scoring titles or anything regular season, cup rings are the only thing important for him now, anyone who thinks he's not the best player in the world should watch him play when it matters the most

Reactions: robes1

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
As long as he’s around, he’ll have a chance at the Art Ross. You can never count him out.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
This!
Crosby could care less about scoring titles or anything regular season, cup rings are the only thing important for him now, anyone who thinks he's not the best player in the world should watch him play when it matters the most

If he doesn't care about the RS why doesn't he just sit out?

bumrusherer

Nov 17, 2007
If he wants to help his team win then that means he cares.
Theres a difference in engagement during the RS and the playoffs. What a player will do in the postseason to help his team, he might not do in game 43 of the RS.
When you are younger, there is less of a difference.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
If he doesn't care about the RS why doesn't he just sit out?

I would think even the most hardcore OV fans would be able to see by now that regular season accomplishments, and efforts to achieve them in meaningless games or, in Crosby's case, would only be meaningful if achieved on the road to the most meaningful achievement of all, the Cup, only have so much value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad