Speculation: Will Brady Tkachuk sign with Ottawa?

Will Tkachuk eventually sign with Ottawa?

• Total voters

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A prospect like him could opt to re-enter the draft. In his range, he likely wouldn't crack the NHL right away anyway. With the draft as it is, there will likely be a good team in the top 3 who would jump at the chance at bringing in a 20-21 year old completely NHL ready player.

Also, although there is some benefit in ice time and immediate cash to staying with your bad team, being on a bad team will bring you down. Being on a better team will likely mean you get strung along a little more with cheaper bridge deals, but when you look at how things have went across the league, things work out better in the end for young players on better teams.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
He is going to sign in Ottawa. 30% no is an absurd number right now.

If I was going to predict when, I am with the crowd saying he plays at BU this year signs right after the season and burns a year of his ELC.

Brady Tkachuk isn't a player you worry about getting caught up in bad culture. He is a driving force on the ice and changes the way the game is being played. Really unique player, kind of exactly what Ottawa struggled to find last year. He loves the game and loves playing it as hard as humanly possible and making the oppositions life miserable. I don't think Gord Miller was wrong the other night when he pointed to Matthew being a lot less of a pest than Brady which is incredible.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He is going to sign in Ottawa. 30% no is an absurd number right now.

If I was going to predict when, I am with the crowd saying he plays at BU this year signs right after the season and burns a year of his ELC.

Brady Tkachuk isn't a player you worry about getting caught up in bad culture. He is a driving force on the ice and changes the way the game is being played. Really unique player, kind of exactly what Ottawa struggled to find last year. He loves the game and loves playing it as hard as humanly possible and making the oppositions life miserable. I don't think Gord Miller was wrong the other night when he pointed to Matthew being a lot less of a pest than Brady which is incredible.
geez Brady with the physical play and great character, just like Blake Wheeler...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He's an American, from a rich family and has options. I think he doesn't sign with Ottawa. He had the cache (right or wrong) to demand a trade and I see he uses that threat to get out of the Ottawa situation.
I don't think he wants Calgary, he will find his way to another team. In time as UFAs, maybe the brother hook up.
Rich doesn’t mean much when you are more than capable of earning your own money.

If Brady only only wants to give the senators his RFA rights, similar to how it appears trouba would do for the Jets then he has the option to do that. If he makes that known to the sens then after year 6, he likely gets moved like most expect trouba to be in 2019, when he’s a year from ufa.

Plus with his style of play you never know how he will age once he hits 30. He’s not built like lucic, but how many power forward players play well after age 31/32?

Why wait until the year you turn 22 to play in the nhl when you can do it at 19? Everyone still has to do an elc.

If Brady waits until 2021, then he still doesn’t get to be a ufa again until 2027. He would have to do 6 years of rfa since he has a sept birthday, this isn’t a ufa in the year he turns 27.

If he signs now, he would be ufa in 2025.

If he returns to school then he would be ufa in 2026, even if he burns an elc this year since he wouldn’t be on the sens roster for 40 games.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Rich doesn’t mean much when you are more than capable of earning your own money.

Hey, I hope Brady signs as Senator. Just saying if there is one guy that pull off not signing it's Tzachuk. More than anything I think he could use leverage in a trade.
There are have been other first rounders who refused to sign and went back int the draft, and recently the Florida pick, a second rounder didn't sign. So it's not like Brady would be unique in not signing.
It might be costly not to sign, but if you really don't want to be with that club for seven years minimum, not signing with the original draft team is a players only choice.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He will. It’s just the start of his career. The Sens could get a nice haul for the vets they could be trading this year. Those could be really good players who grow with Tkachuk.

Bezer

Aug 30, 2009
Calgary
Nope, back to college and signs with the Flames as a free agent to play with his brother creating the NHLs 2 man axis of evil. The havoc they will reap, as the Sultans of Slewfoots, the Knights of Blowing Knees and the Counts of Concussions. All the while rewarding the Flames faithful with eleventeen Stanley Cups in their careers. Be forewarned HF board moderators...this is prophecy

FATHER! THE SLEEPERS HAVE AWAKENED!!#$#$

JKJK he signs with Ottawa this year without a second thought.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Eichel recruits him and Botterill looks like a genius proving his worth as a steve Yzerman level young gm...hey I can hope...

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Next year probably.

Wouldn't want him in Ottawa this year anyway since the shitshow will screw up his development.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This was good for a laugh.

Oh yeah for sure things are going to be radically different and not in a good way either.

I think we have plenty of time.

Seriously though, things are really pointing towards Melnyk selling. I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts to take over the headlines heading into training camp.

Last edited:

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
He'll sign. If the team goes to pot he can simply demand a trade out. No sense in losing career earnings this early. The flip side is that there may be a better opportunity for him to be in a bigger role. Still, I can't see anyone wanting to stay in Ottawa anymore. It's just a debaucle of momentous proportions now.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
You have to think that Ottawa's management group asked him if he was willing to play there. Right?

I mean if I was a GM interviewing a top draft choice before the draft, that'd be one of my questions.

So I'm going to assume that he will sign with them. Probably not going to sign before camp but maybe after his season at BU ends or next summer? He doesn't need to spend 3 years at BU and he'd be leaving a decent chunk of change hanging. If he wasn't going to sign I think he'd make that clear to the Ottawa management group before the draft.

Reactions: derriko

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
He'll spend one more year in college and then make the jump to the NHL with the Sens.

The Sens are an absolute dumpster fire right now but Melnyk can't hang on like this forever without driving down the value of the team so he'll have to sell.

It sucks that it's likely going to cost them Karlsson but they've got some very nice young pieces to build around moving forward.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Tkachuk will probably sign an entry level contract, but I wouldn't put it past him if he runs after his 3 years are up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad