Speculation: Will Brady Tkachuk sign with Ottawa?

Will Tkachuk eventually sign with Ottawa?

• Total voters

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
While we can't predict the future, even in hindsight the Tkachuk pick was questionable with who was still available at the time.

A lot of people ranked him in the top five though. Obviously some people didn't, but he was ranked highly for a reason (and no, it's not just because of NHL readiness). Barrett Hayton was an off the board selection, not Brady Tkachuk. If you want to rag on the pick a few years from now then go ahead, but I'm not going to take you seriously a month after the draft.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah because Hughes, Zadina, Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, and Smith were still available.

And instead of taking the players you thought were better they took the player they thought was better?

What fools!

If only you had tweeted at them before they made the pick so they could have known your preference.

From The Couch

Jan 14, 2014
West PQ
Wahlstrom has an elite shot and much higher hockey IQ than Tkachuk. Tkachuk is faster and more ready, but the point is moot. Boqvist and Dobson all have super high potential and are RHD something the Sens need with Karlsson going to bolt soon.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Super high potential". Are you an NHL scout? Are you a professional at depicting whether or not these kids are going to pan out to their "Super high potential". You can argue everyone drafted in the top 10 has "super high potential". Point being is you don't know shit man and you don't have any control over who 'your' team picks. Mays well get behind the guy they do pick and hope he thrives as a Senator.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Can you clarify what you mean by "Super high potential". Are you an NHL scout? Are you a professional at depicting whether or not these kids are going to pan out to their "Super high potential". You can argue everyone drafted in the top 10 has "super high potential". Point being is you don't know **** man and you don't have any control over who 'your' team picks. Mays well get behind the guy they do pick and hope he thrives as a Senator.
Dobson is a great looking prospect, I wouldn't use the word "superstar" lol

From The Couch

Jan 14, 2014
West PQ
Dobson is a great looking prospect, I wouldn't use the word "superstar" lol

Undoubtedly, I'm not going to argue against that. However, so is Tkachuk. So is anyone in the top-10. I'm just tired of these babies out here complaining about who their team should've drafted when in reality have no impact what so ever on the pick.

Reactions: Bozle

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Undoubtedly, I'm not going to argue against that. However, so is Tkachuk. So is anyone in the top-10. I'm just tired of these babies out here complaining about who their team should've drafted when in reality have no impact what so ever on the pick.
Agreed. Tkachuk was drafted 4th. I don't really care much about where he was projected to go prior to that (as it wasn't some dramatic reach), evidently the Senators liked him. What is important now is how he plays relative to the other talents drafted going forward

Reactions: topshelf15

From The Couch

Jan 14, 2014
West PQ
Agreed. Tkachuk was drafted 4th. I don't really care much about where he was projected to go prior to that (as it wasn't some dramatic reach), evidently the Senators liked him. What is important now is how he plays relative to the other talents drafted going forward

Yes totally.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don't really see why Ottawa would be viewed as a poor destination for a youngster looking to start an NHL career. The opportunity to rise to the top of the pecking order without being stuck behind a bunch of quality established teammates should be somewhat appealing.

member 157595

I think he should stay at BU this year and sign with Ottawa immediately after the end of the season. I think staying in the NCAA after this season would be spinning his wheels and there's no chance he's going to do it when he'd probably have an opportunity to play a Top 6 role in the NHL immediately after BU's season ends.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think he should stay at BU this year and sign with Ottawa immediately after the end of the season. I think staying in the NCAA after this season would be spinning his wheels and there's no chance he's going to do it when he'd probably have an opportunity to play a Top 6 role in the NHL immediately after BU's season ends.

This is probably exactly how it's going to play out.

member 157595

This is probably exactly how it's going to play out.

He's a guy that could play in the NHL now in a bottom 6 role but he still hasn't outgrown his own age group. Let him lead BU and play at the WJC's again, and get on the phone with his agent the second the buzzer sounds on BU's last game this year. I'd be patient with him.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Things are going to be radically different in Ottawa in the not too distant future. Continue to pile on while you can...
5+ years in pro sports is most definitely the distant future. This team won't be good for at least that long, especially after this season, when the Sens will have lost a top 5 overall draft pick for 2019, Turris, Hoffman, Karlsson, Duchene and quite possibly Stone, in a two year span. I'd say Duchene is as good as gone after next year, and Stone is a coin flip to stay after his one year deal.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
I think he'll sign. The money would be too alluring, and anything could happen during the 4 years at college, including some nasty injuries that could affect his future ability and value.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
5+ years in pro sports is most definitely the distant future. This team won't be good for at least that long, especially after this season, when the Sens will have lost a top 5 overall draft pick for 2019, Turris, Hoffman, Karlsson, Duchene and quite possibly Stone, in a two year span. I'd say Duchene is as good as gone after next year, and Stone is a coin flip to stay after his one year deal.
The Sens are being sold.

The new ownership will sign EK, Stone and Duchene, plus add an influx of cash.

Things are going to look radically different in the not too distant future.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Right. And Ottawa is the perfect place to get paid....

I mean, yeah, it kind of is. They have to meet the cap floor, and it looks like they might lose Stone, Duchene, and Karlsson in a year. If Tkachuk pans out he can pretty much back up the Brinks truck, whether or not there are new owners.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I feel an old school guy like Keith will just tell Brady to shut up and sign, if there really is no desire for him to play for Ottawa, which I don’t see being the case.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With Duchene, Stone and Karlsson all UFA next year and most likely leaving the sinking ship, what motivation will Brady have to spend his career in a terrible team?

Option is to get an education and choose the best team to win the Stanley Cup with. He might also want to play with his brother.
And enter the nhl in 21-22 season? Yeah, same logic as Quinn Hughes right?

Brady wants to watch Matt play 5 years in the nhl before he steps into the ice?

Brady physically is ready for the nhl. Really comes down to whether he needs to work on polishing his offensive game more before he goes pro or if he can do that at the Nhl level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad