Speculation: Will Brady Tkachuk sign with Ottawa?

Will Tkachuk eventually sign with Ottawa?

• Total voters

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Sensung is correct. There have been a lot of serious rumblings in Ottawa regarding new ownership over the past 6 months. Fact is, Melynk doesn't have the capital to fund his portion of the Lebreton project, and his partners (the main people in the project) have been pushing for him to get his act together. Right now, the only thing up in the air is whether or not the team sale will be a stake in the team, or selling the complete ownership. It's at the point where it's almost inevitable. Ottawa may have over a million population, but when it comes to scuttlebutt, damned near everything gets across the city faster than small town gossip after the church social.

I don't doubt there is talk to get Melnyk out. It's not that easy though. I can see him out next year. I can't see him out during the season and the Sens retaining all of their UFA. That's what makes it crazy.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
The ownership change will take place this season and Stone, EK and Duchene will be re-signed to usher in the new era in Sens hockey.

Pile on now, but be sure to show up and apologize when this happens.

Enjoy your vacation.

Just curious what makes you so confident that Melnyk will sell?

I truly hope you are right, but everything I’ve seen has said he’s not selling. I’m sure you follow this stuff much closer than I do, though.

For ex - Report: Eugene Melnyk declines offer to sell Senators

To the OP’s question - yes, Tkachuk will absolutely sign in Ottawa. Most likely next season is my guess.

I can’t see any way he stays in school long enough to turn UFA

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Or you know if he doesn't fell ready for the NHL. Thata is absolutely no way he will spend 4 years in collage. The nonsense people will come up with.
He's ready to play in the NHL. His brother was ready at 18 yo and he's ready too (he'll be 19 in October). The real question is; Is he ready to play for that dumpster fire of an organization called the Senators?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I truly hope you are right, but everything I’ve seen has said he’s not selling. I’m sure you follow this stuff much closer than I do, though.

For ex - Report: Eugene Melnyk declines offer to sell Senators

To the OP’s question - yes, Tkachuk will absolutely sign in Ottawa. Most likely next season is my guess.

I can’t see any way he stays in school long enough to turn UFA
I can. 3 more years of college. Get a degree and graduate at the age of 21 AND become a UFA at the same time. Or.... Spend the next 7 years playing for Eugene Melnyk. A degree is starting to look pretty attractive. It's not like he needs the money.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I can. 3 more years of college. Get a degree and graduate at the age of 21 AND become a UFA at the same time. Or.... Spend the next 7 years playing for Eugene Melnyk. A degree is starting to look pretty attractive. It's not like he needs the money.

He may not need money but waiting four more seasons to begin his career his very unlikely especially for someone who some believe is NHL ready. If it was such an obvious decision for him, he would have already announced he would be returning to BU, instead he still isn’t sure if he will sign or wait another year. Imagine thinking he will wait four more years.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

The biggest reason I think sens fans are holding on to hope is how much smoke there has been around this topic. It’s something that’s been on going for a couple of years but reached a new level in November and seems like it isn’t going away anytime soon. As long as their is interested parties there remains a chance. I wouldn’t let Melnyk’s denial put a damper on it either. EIG told Katz the same thing when he was looking to purchase the Oilers. Everything is for sale for the right price.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
He may not need money but waiting four more seasons to begin his career his very unlikely especially for someone who some believe is NHL ready. If it was such an obvious decision for him, he would have already announced he would be returning to BU, instead he still isn’t sure if he will sign or wait another year. Imagine thinking he will wait four more years.

Why is almost everyone saying 4 more years? Brady Tkachuk just finished his freshman season at BU. If he wants to become a UFA, he has 3 seasons left to play in the NCAA.

That said, I believe that he should play his sophomore year at BU this season and have the Sens burn a year off his ELC to join the big team once the BU season is over. Finish his ELC at the same time as he would if he were to sign now and go pro - after the 2020-21 season ends.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada

Why is everyone saying 4 more years? Brady Tkachuk just finished his freshman season at BU. If he wants to become a UFA, he has 3 seasons left to play in the NCAA.

That said, I believe that he should play his sophomore year at BU this season and have the Sens burn a year off his ELC to join the big team once the BU season is over. Finish his ELC at the same time as he would if he were to sign now and go pro - after the 2020-21 season ends.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Why is almost everyone saying 4 more years? Brady Tkachuk just finished his freshman season at BU. If he wants to become a UFA, he has 3 seasons left to play in the NCAA.

Isn’t the rule is four years after a college player is drafted they can become a free agent? Not when they have played four years of college hockey.

Reactions: 2Pair

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Burning a year off his ELC is not the panacea it appears to be.

Playing one game burns off a year, but at the end of your ELC you are not eligible for an offer sheet unless you played at least x games (I believe it's 10, but I might be wrong).

So your negociating power is very limited.

The same thing happened with Krug and the Bruins a few years ago.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

Lol a degree is actually useless unless if you get relevant work experience or actually excel in your courses. So unless if he's getting like a 3.5+ GPA it won't mean shit.

Getting paid millions guaranteed money >>>a degree.

I guarantee you anyone would take it. Tkachuk would be nuts to stay all 4 years unless if he isn't ready.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Isn’t the rule is four years after a college player is drafted they can become a free agent? Not when they have played four years of college hockey.
As per the 2012-2022 CBA..

College Players. (i) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.

Sounds to me like he becomes a UFA on August 16 the year of his college class graduation... which would be 2021... 3 years from now.

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
I assumed the poll was will he sign this summer and picked "no." I do expect him to sign with the Sens eventually though. There is too much money at stake.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
A lot of people ranked him in the top five though. Obviously some people didn't, but he was ranked highly for a reason (and no, it's not just because of NHL readiness). Barrett Hayton was an off the board selection, not Brady Tkachuk. If you want to rag on the pick a few years from now then go ahead, but I'm not going to take you seriously a month after the draft.
I'm wondering how is he using hindsight to make his point. People actually think the 2 month between the draft and start of the season would change anything

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The Sens are being sold.

The new ownership will sign EK, Stone and Duchene, plus add an influx of cash.

Things are going to look radically different in the not too distant future.
Your posts read like a guy with stage four lung cancer telling everyone he’s going to be just fine.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The Sens are being sold.

The new ownership will sign EK, Stone and Duchene, plus add an influx of cash.

Things are going to look radically different in the not too distant future.
Your posts read like a guy with stage four lung cancer telling everyone he’s going to be just fine.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Wahlstrom has an elite shot and much higher hockey IQ than Tkachuk. Tkachuk is faster and more ready, but the point is moot. Boqvist and Dobson all have super high potential and are RHD something the Sens need with Karlsson going to bolt soon.
I watched every game in kamloops at the world juniors showcase.

The only player that you’ve just listed that I’d take over Tkachuk is Dobson.

Tkachuk>>>Wahlstrom and Boqvist

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad