Rumor: Wild will not buy-out Dubnyk, looking to trade him; Greenway may also be moved

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
just because we dont doesnt mean guerin is this dumb when expansion draft is next year and wild need to and will protect Kaapo Kahkonen

I don't think that plays a part in any real trade talk for a goalie. Pretty much everyone on the market has some modified no-trade that doesn't have to be protected for the expansion draft.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
What’s wrong with Greenway?

Probably expectations, at least if you expect him to have cemented a spot in the Wild top six at this point. Huge guy that doesn't always use his size and that is in love with his good but not great skill level. Personally, I think he could eventually develop into a 20 goal/50 point guy but he needs some work.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
What’s wrong with Greenway?
Guerin's beef with him seems to be an issue with commitment. There were a few comments over the last season about him not eating all that well and staying up too late... little stuff, but it probably affected his consistency on the ice, too. There were some games where he'd be a monster, then stretches where he'd go away. His possession stats from game to game said that he was pretty consistent in that respect, but it was hard to notice many nights. Just leaves you wanting more, because it's in there somewhere.

If the Rangers are interested I bet a reunion with Quinn would be good for him.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
He's gotten progressively worse over the past like 4 years. The Wild's d were able to cover for him a bit for a while, but he's done. I'll be shocked if there is a buyet.
Has it been injuries or headspace that have been his downfall? It wasn't that many years ago that he was in vezina conversations.

Reactions: Morrison

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
So he didn’t want to be traded to Buffalo? Not sure how Sabres fans will feel about this. Here’s a guy who probably has zero interest in playing for your team and feels like he got played. Although it sounds like he will report and play, so that’s a good thing.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a player in the league who would want to play for the Sabres right now.. the team is a mess from ownership on down to the players and everyone in between. If/when the team becomes successful again player's might change the way they feel about pkaying for the team. Im pretty sure the fans in buffalo realize this for the most part.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Has it been injuries or headspace that have been his downfall? It wasn't that many years ago that he was in vezina conversations.

Probably a factor of age, injuries, and some of the stuff going on in his personal life lately. I wouldn't count on him to rebound though. He isn't as quick or as sharp as he used to be. And he was never that quick or sharp.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
The fact that you're willing to trade him for Dubnyk tells me that I would not be interested in that.

:laugh:

Kempny was an integral part of the Caps Cup run 2 years ago. He was injured very late last year in that Tampa game, and he hasn't looked the same since. But it will be another season removed from his injury.

The Caps seem to be going into this offseason reworking our defense.. It hasn't looked right at all this year and it probably made Holtby look a lot worse than it should have (although Holtby wasn't great either). But now that Holtby is most likely gone, we need a decent cheap 1b or backup to Samsonov, or at least during Samsonov's first full year as the guy. If Minnesota retained 50%, it could work. We've been looking for a way to move Kempny anyways.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Age most likely. Reaction time has just gone to the crapper. The Wild protect their net better than anyone, but not much you can do if your goalie can't stop wrist shots from the Blue line.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nothing is wrong with Greenway, just that nothing is really right with Greenway either. He's real solid at standing in front of the net and he generally has good puck protection abilities, but his offensive game isn't there, his defensive game is average. He's inconsistent. His size is his best trait.

Guerin's beef with him seems to be an issue with commitment. There were a few comments over the last season about him not eating all that well and staying up too late... little stuff, but it probably affected his consistency on the ice, too. There were some games where he'd be a monster, then stretches where he'd go away. His possession stats from game to game said that he was pretty consistent in that respect, but it was hard to notice many nights. Just leaves you wanting more, because it's in there somewhere.

If the Rangers are interested I bet a reunion with Quinn would be good for him.

Some questions for ya,

Is he at least physical, hard to knock off the puck?
How's his speed/skating for a giant?
Is this a maturity thing as well, you mentioned commitment Bazeek, will he grow up with more structure?
Could he be a 40-45pt guy with more TOI and better C?

This worries me, we have a similar prospect in Noel (20yrs old), both drafted in 2nd round, both 6'6.
Ever since Bjugstad, the size thing scares me off a bit. Long term injuries with their back seems to be their Achilles heel and if their skating isn't up to par, it's way more bust than boom.
Noel will have one game where he looks scary dominant and then 2-3 where he is a ghost, turning pro (AHL) this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad