Rumor: Wild will not buy-out Dubnyk, looking to trade him; Greenway may also be moved

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com

In his podcast, Mike Russo touches on a few things

-says that Eric Staal was asked for his list of teams he couldn't be traded to, Staal tried to game the list by listing teams who were previously interested in him in the past (Boston etc.) and was shocked when he was moved to Buffalo
-says that it was believed the Wild would try to buy-out Devan Dubnyk this offseason as GM Bill Guerin previously mentioned his disappointment in the team's goaltending, but that a buy-out is no longer in their plans. He says that means the team may believe that they could trade Dubnyk. (Not from the podcast, but I read today that Montreal was in on Dubnyk before acquiring Jake Allen).
-when an email talks about Jordan Greenway being untouchable, Russo says he never said that was Greenway was untouchable, rather that he was actually very "touchable". Says that he thinks Greenway will likely be dangled this offseason, as Guerin noted at season's end, his displeasure with Greenway's play this season.

Also talks quite a bit about Mathew Dumba. Definitely worth a listen.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Interesting to see what Guerin does with the Wild goaltending if he does manage to move Dubnyk. I can't imagine he'd want to pay a lot for a short term option (which most trade options are right now), but I think he'd have trouble getting a UFA to sign there.

I would have thought Allen made sense as a trade target, but he's no longer an option.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Has dubies play dropped enough where he's considered a dump? Is it a result of the defensive system in front of him, or has he lost something? Worth a flyer on a potential reclamation or has he Cory schnider'ed?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's worth pointing out that Dubnyk is an attractive trade candidate because he only makes $2.5 million. Even though he's coming off a horrid year, he has value as a 1B goalie just because of how little money he makes. There are teams who want a better 1B goalie who will be happy to trade for Dubnyk considering how little real money he's making.

I'm not exactly sure who fits that, though. Maybe Arizona trades both Raanta and Kuemper for value and then throws a late pick at Minnesota for Dubnyk? Ottawa maybe?

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So he didn’t want to be traded to Buffalo? Not sure how Sabres fans will feel about this. Here’s a guy who probably has zero interest in playing for your team and feels like he got played. Although it sounds like he will report and play, so that’s a good thing.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
What’s wrong with Greenway?
Nothing is wrong with Greenway, just that nothing is really right with Greenway either. He's real solid at standing in front of the net and he generally has good puck protection abilities, but his offensive game isn't there, his defensive game is average. He's inconsistent. His size is his best trait.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

In his podcast, Mike Russo touches on a few things

-says that Eric Staal was asked for his list of teams he couldn't be traded to, Staal tried to game the list by listing teams who were previously interested in him in the past (Boston etc.) and was shocked when he was moved to Buffalo

Also talks quite a bit about Mathew Dumba. Definitely worth a listen.

I’m just spit balling here....

My gut feeling is another trade will occur with buffalo. But it only happens after Dumba is traded.

Like after Dumba is traded then Montour goes to Minnesota. Then the return appears to be leaning to Minnesota’s favor.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Bond

May 10, 2012
Nothing is wrong with Greenway, just that nothing is really right with Greenway either. He's real solid at standing in front of the net and he generally has good puck protection abilities, but his offensive game isn't there, his defensive game is average. He's inconsistent. His size is his best trait.
Sounds like Jankowski

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Has dubies play dropped enough where he's considered a dump? Is it a result of the defensive system in front of him, or has he lost something? Worth a flyer on a potential reclamation or has he Cory schnider'ed?

He's gotten progressively worse over the past like 4 years. The Wild's d were able to cover for him a bit for a while, but he's done. I'll be shocked if there is a buyet.

Reactions: axlrose87

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Greenway for Rowney? I know the Wild are looking for a Center, but not sure if he's good enough to interest them.

I won't speak for Guerin, but it's a no from me.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
What exactly would Minnesota be looking for in a Dubynk trade?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's worth pointing out that Dubnyk is an attractive trade candidate because he only makes $2.5 million. Even though he's coming off a horrid year, he has value as a 1B goalie just because of how little money he makes. There are teams who want a better 1B goalie who will be happy to trade for Dubnyk considering how little real money he's making.

I'm not exactly sure who fits that, though. Maybe Arizona trades both Raanta and Kuemper for value and then throws a late pick at Minnesota for Dubnyk? Ottawa maybe?

1 should be no where near Dubnyk's positional status at this point. 3B. Probably a good ECHL backup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->