Rumor: Wild will not buy-out Dubnyk, looking to trade him; Greenway may also be moved

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
lol. 4.33mil for a guy coming off a 3.35gaa/.890sv% season? thats a cap dump. negative asset

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I feel like Greenway would have a ton of value to a team like the Leafs, Edmonton, or even Colorado looking to size up their attack.

no interest from the leafs. He will want 1.5-2mil and the leafs arent gonna be paying a 4th liner that much $$$
leafs will likely target someone like simmonds and not have to waste assets to acquire "size"

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Freddie Andersson for Dubynk (half retained)? That would give Dubas over 8.5 million in cap space. And at least a decent backup to Campbell. Wild can take on the Cap space. They get a #1 goalie out of the deal.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
I could see Rangers trading Lemieux for Greenway but I doubt Wild have interest. Rangers landing top pick really changed things

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Let me know when he finds that part of his game.
I remember he fought Getzy and put him on his back, so automatically I assume he's a strong dude. But sounds like he's not that consistent with it.
Can happen with these big dudes I guess.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I remember he fought Getzy and put him on his back, so automatically I assume he's a strong dude. But sounds like he's not that consistent with it.
Can happen with these big dudes I guess.

Early on, looked like he'd be a bull. Not sure where all that went. Last few times I've seen him play, plays like a guy half his size and relatively invisible.

Reactions: Kalv

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Tampa's 1st isn't enough. I'm not sure what else you think San Jose can attach to that albatross to get someone to bite.

If the Sharks are taking back the likes of Dubnyk and Rask then that 1st could be enough but they also have players like Kevin Labanc and prospects like Ryan Merkley that could be involved depending on the particulars. I think you're also overrating how much of an albatross it actually is.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
If the Sharks are taking back the likes of Dubnyk and Rask then that 1st could be enough but they also have players like Kevin Labanc and prospects like Ryan Merkley that could be involved depending on the particulars. I think you're also overrating how much of an albatross it actually is.

Or you know the expansion is next year and no one is taking on that large of a contract. Dubnyk has 1 year & rash has 2 compared to 3 or 4 for Martin.

Just stop. No team maybe Detroit is going to take on that large of a contract. Stop trying to force him on Minnesota he's also 30 years old, & after what happened with Dubnyk; & Minnesota needing to resign Kaprizov and fiala; yeah good luck with a G in his 30's being dumped on wild.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
the Sharks need to retain 50% also.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Or you know the expansion is next year and no one is taking on that large of a contract. Dubnyk has 1 year & rash has 2 compared to 3 or 4 for Martin.

Just stop. No team maybe Detroit is going to take on that large of a contract. Stop trying to force him on Minnesota he's also 30 years old, & after what happened with Dubnyk; & Minnesota needing to resign Kaprizov and fiala; yeah good luck with a G in his 30's being dumped on wild.

It's possible but that's why you have conversations about it. Why don't you try not telling others what to do? I'm allowed to converse with people who engage me. I'm not trying to force him on anyone but keep whining about it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
the Sharks need to retain 50% also.

I'm sure retention is an option to a degree but 50% while also taking Dubnyk and Rask back and giving up a late 1st? Yeah, that's not realistic. If a trade happens, you're likely to get potentially two of the three but not all three.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
The 31st pick in the draft is absolutely not enough to take on 4 years of a $5.75M cap hit. The Wild don't need the cap space this year. So the Sharks taking back Dubnyk really doesn't move the needle. Same with Rask. If we did need cap space we could just buy either of them out. Jones has a .896 SV% over the past two seasons. He's been one of the worst goalies in the league by any metric. So no, I'm not overrating how much of an albatross it is. I'm not saying he can't get back to where he was, but the Wild have no incentive to find out.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I'm sure retention is an option to a degree but 50% while also taking Dubnyk and Rask back and giving up a late 1st? Yeah, that's not realistic. If a trade happens, you're likely to get potentially two of the three but not all three.

Wild aren't buying out rask or Dubnyk this year along with Not having cap issues. Good luck with wild taking on 30 years Martin's contract after what happened with Dubny play going downhill; needing to resign young players; & protecting Kaapo Kahkonen from expansion.

You don't sign, or trade for 30 years old G to large contract in years & money especially with Martin Jones contract going downhill already

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The 31st pick in the draft is absolutely not enough to take on 4 years of a $5.75M cap hit. The Wild don't need the cap space this year. So the Sharks taking back Dubnyk really doesn't move the needle. Same with Rask. If we did need cap space we could just buy either of them out. Jones has a .896 SV% over the past two seasons. He's been one of the worst goalies in the league by any metric. So no, I'm not overrating how much of an albatross it is. I'm not saying he can't get back to where he was, but the Wild have no incentive to find out.

That's also why I didn't just say the late 1st could be involved and that's it. The post you quoted specifically states that Kevin Labanc or Ryan Merkley could be involved depending on what the deal actually is but you don't acknowledge that at all. And while you can say everything about Jones statistically, that doesn't mean that you're still not overrating how much of an albatross it is. 5.75 million is not that much money for a goalie especially if retention is involved and/or taking bad cap hit back is involved, and/or some form of a sweetener. You're probably correct that the late 1st wouldn't be enough but that's why I said other things could be involved. If we removed Rask and Dubnyk from the deal, we could probably throw a legitimate top six player like Labanc on the table to make it work and that would certainly be enough no matter how much bellowing one wants to do. Labanc is a highly valuable asset at this stage so it depends on who's willing to do what.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wild aren't buying out rask or Dubnyk this year along with Not having cap issues. Good luck with wild taking on 30 years Martin's contract after what happened with Dubny play going downhill; needing to resign young players; & protecting Kaapo Kahkonen from expansion.

You don't sign, or trade for 30 years old G to large contract in years & money especially with Martin Jones contract going downhill already

Minnesota taking on Jones for the price of say a Kevin Labanc or Ryan Merkley doesn't prevent them from re-signing young players nor protecting Kahkonen so that doesn't mean anything to this conversation. Your last line doesn't make any sense given what happens practically every year. Plenty of 30 year old goalies get 3-4 year deals around that rate and then turn around and have up and down seasons where they go.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota taking on Jones for the price of say a Kevin Labanc or Ryan Merkley doesn't prevent them from re-signing young players nor protecting Kahkonen so that doesn't mean anything to this conversation. Your last line doesn't make any sense given what happens practically every year. Plenty of 30 year old goalies get 3-4 year deals around that rate and then turn around and have up and down seasons where they go.
The problem with Jones is the term. The main reason to trade Dubnyk is to free up a spot for a more reliable goaltender to play in front of Kahkonen as he gets his footing in the NHL. Taking on 4 years of Jones at any price, with any sweeteners is a problem that Minnesota is unlikely to want.

If Dubnyk has value it's with substantial retention as a cheap, low-commitment backup in a financially uncertain season. He's a fling; Jones is a marriage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad