Rumor: Wild will not buy-out Dubnyk, looking to trade him; Greenway may also be moved

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The problem with Jones is the term. The main reason to trade Dubnyk is to free up a spot for a more reliable goaltender to play in front of Kahkonen as he gets his footing in the NHL. Taking on 4 years of Jones at any price, with any sweeteners is a problem that Minnesota is unlikely to want.

If Dubnyk has value it's with substantial retention as a cheap, low-commitment backup in a financially uncertain season. He's a fling; Jones is a marriage.

For sure the term is the biggest issue with Jones. I feel the best attempt at moving Jones is going to be for a similarly termed forward that Minnesota doesn't really have. The closest is Rask. I don't see the difference between the two being so ginormous as some might try to make it be but it can be done. I don't think the Sharks will move Jones this year because there was some improvement in his play when the coaching changes happened and he started being coached by Nabokov instead of Hedberg so odds are they will feel the best bet is to give him another season under new coaching to see if that slight turnaround can be made into something more consistent.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
For sure the term is the biggest issue with Jones. I feel the best attempt at moving Jones is going to be for a similarly termed forward that Minnesota doesn't really have. The closest is Rask. I don't see the difference between the two being so ginormous as some might try to make it be but it can be done. I don't think the Sharks will move Jones this year because there was some improvement in his play when the coaching changes happened and he started being coached by Nabokov instead of Hedberg so odds are they will feel the best bet is to give him another season under new coaching to see if that slight turnaround can be made into something more consistent.
That deal might be out there, but it's hard. Rask's a good example - his contract sucks, but it's easy to carry an extra forward, healthy scratch them, and only play them in case of injuries. If anything, having that guy be a relatively young center is a plus.

You can't really do that with goalies. Jones might make a serviceable backup somewhere but committing to a backup for 4 years isn't appealing, especially when most teams have goalie prospects that they'd probably want in that role at some point. You can put him in the AHL but even then he's probably taking development time away from a prospect, so you're talking about a $2m+ AHL backup. That's rough.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That deal might be out there, but it's hard. Rask's a good example - his contract sucks, but it's easy to carry an extra forward, healthy scratch them, and only play them in case of injuries. If anything, having that guy be a relatively young center is a plus.

You can't really do that with goalies. Jones might make a serviceable backup somewhere but committing to a backup for 4 years isn't appealing, especially when most teams have goalie prospects that they'd probably want in that role at some point. You can put him in the AHL but even then he's probably taking development time away from a prospect, so you're talking about a $2m+ AHL backup. That's rough.

I feel though if there's some combination of retention, cap return, and sweetener that it should be palatable. Jones may be awful statistically as a starter but a lot of goalies at the backup level were there so if it's a solid enough deal where maybe the Sharks are taking more cap dollars back that it might work for a team. Just depends on what they're looking for. A team like the Wild or Red Wings would probably want a young player or prospect good enough with some retention as well more than a cap swap since they're not seemingly spending to that extent. But it also depends on what their projected turnaround time is going to be. A team starting to rebuild may be okay with a Jones/Merkley package because of Merkley's talent plus the possibility of getting rid of an asset that likely has no trade value otherwise just to clear it out. But we'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up and I don't think the team will do it with the coaching changes and the belief that there was some positives to Jones' game after Nabokov started to coach him. Considering the goaltending that has been moved around previously, I don't see Jones' contract being immovable but it will be difficult.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Parise then gets bought out after 2 years and the Wild are totally screwed.

I guess they could buy him out, but then they'd be carrying 6M, 7M, 7M in dead cap for those three years. A Jones buyout in 2021 or 2022 is much more reasonable.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I guess they could buy him out, but then they'd be carrying 6M, 7M, 7M in dead cap for those three years. A Jones buyout in 2021 or 2022 is much more reasonable.

They wouldn't as long as he's a useful player to them but there's no way Parise waives his NMC.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He already has once

Yeah, for the Islanders as a competing team at the deadline. Doubt he'd do the same for the Sharks when they're at the point they are. He'd probably prefer to stay in Minnesota before going here until they show that they're back to being at a playoff competitive level.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, for the Islanders as a competing team at the deadline. Doubt he'd do the same for the Sharks when they're at the point they are. He'd probably prefer to stay in Minnesota before going here until they show that they're back to being at a playoff competitive level.

Who knows. He may just want to be gone as the team is going through a massive change, and his center options here are Bjugstad, Rask, Johansson.

Will he waive for the Sharks? Maybe, maybe not, but the idea that he flat out won't waive his NMC is dead.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Dubnyk only being owed 2.5 in actual cash could be appealing to the Yotes. Dubnyk and a nice haul of futures for Kuemper?
Dubnyk, Greenway and the Pittsburgh '21 first for Kuemper.

Dubnyk returns to a place he had some success. Greenway gets to play with Keller again, Coyotes get a much needed '21 first. Wild get the prize in a top 5 goalie who increases their chances significantly of getting back into the playoffs.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Dubnyk returns to a place he had some success. Greenway gets to play with Keller again, Coyotes get a much needed '21 first. Wild get the prize in a top 5 goalie who increases their chances significantly of getting back into the playoffs.

No. Kuemper isn't worth that much to this team given the goalie market. Would rather acquire someone without paying the 1st and Greenway.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Dubnyk to Vancouver for Sutter both only have 1 year left on deals and cap within 40k. Sutter obviously not a top 6 centre but helps Wild depth regardless at centre.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dubnyk to Vancouver for Sutter both only have 1 year left on deals and cap within 40k. Sutter obviously not a top 6 centre but helps Wild depth regardless at centre.

There's no reason for Minnesota to do this. Cap hit is negligible, term is the same, but we'd be paying Sutter 2M more in cash than we'd pay Dubnyk to sit in our press box.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I'm not sure I understand the Greenway fascination around here. I'd take him but I don't value him very highly. Maybe around a 2nd rounder at best? He's a real wild-card. Tons of raw ability but doesn't apply himself consistently. Roller coaster player who gets called out an awful lot for such a young guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad