Friedman: Wild shopping Fiala?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Oilers could use him next to Nuge on the 2nd line. What would it cost to get him tho?
Only player I’d be interested in is broberg. I’d even add Donato to make it happen. Adding Donato and Fiala definately improve the offensive depth of the oilers.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
By all accounts Leipold won't accept Guerin taking futures and trusted Fenton's eye for talent, so unless Guerin can get a similar aged player who looks to be a top-2 center I can't see him dealing Fiala. Any team that would give up a trending/established top-2 center under 25 for Fiala at this point would be as insane as Fenton, if not more, so I would be shocked if Fiala is dealt. Its the same issue with the whole team, more or less. No team wants to give up what the Wild need with what the Wild can afford to move, can't blame them. Leipold wanted a shake-up and got it from Fenton, 3 good players for 3 not so good players, that's what happens when you force trades and likely a big reason why Fletcher never made one.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
By all accounts Leipold won't accept Guerin taking futures and trusted Fenton's eye for talent, so unless Guerin can get a similar aged player who looks to be a top-2 center I can't see him dealing Fiala. Any team that would give up a trending/established top-2 center under 25 for Fiala at this point would be as insane as Fenton, if not more, so I would be shocked if Fiala is dealt. Its the same issue with the whole team, more or less. No team wants to give up what the Wild need with what the Wild can afford to move, can't blame them. Leipold wanted a shake-up and got it from Fenton, 3 good players for 3 not so good players, that's what happens when you force trades and likely a big reason why Fletcher never made one.
Which accounts?

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
How would Fiala for futures be any more of a "rebuild" move than Granlund for Fiala? If Leipold was going to step in and block a trade that would've been the one.
Fiala was an established NHLer(Donato joined the Wild right away as well if you want to use him as an example too), Granlund was part of a core that couldn't win a playoff series. Should I have rephrased to Leipold won't accept draft picks rather than futures?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He needs to go somewhere that can both hold him accountable and give him minutes to develop his game. He's 23 now. He's either going to get "it" real soon or his NHL career will be over soon.
The more I watch him play, the more he reminds me of Yakupov. Skilled enough to do whatever he wants on the ice, but brainless enough to hardly ever accomplish anything of substance.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fiala was an established NHLer(Donato joined the Wild right away as well if you want to use him as an example too), Granlund was part of a core that couldn't win a playoff series. Should I have rephrased to Leipold won't accept draft picks rather than futures?
I just question the narrative that Leipold is accepting or rejecting anything. He let Fenton make a series of trades that were obviously going to make the Wild less immediately competitive. Why allow that but draw the line at selling a forward for futures when we're probably going to have to do that regardless before next year?

This is really a whole other discussion though and I don't mean to derail the thread with it. I was mostly wondering if you'd come across some report that I'd missed.

Reactions: TaLoN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How would Fiala for futures be any more of a "rebuild" move than Granlund for Fiala? If Leipold was going to step in and block a trade that would've been the one.

There’s a very clear difference between Fiala and a prospect like, let’s use Veleno as an example, or a pick. It’s a very, very clear difference.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There’s a very clear difference between Fiala and a prospect like, let’s use Veleno as an example, or a pick. It’s a very, very clear difference.
I get that, but I don't think it's enough to hang the "Leipold won't allow it" hat on.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I get that, but I don't think it's enough to hang the "Leipold won't allow it" hat on.
Agreed I have seen no evidence presented that shows CL steps in to stop any move other than preventing Fenton from firing a high paid coach with another year on his deal that is getting paid even if fired.

That makes sense for an owner to intervene on. Nothing supports his intervening on trades.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's kinda funny that the Fiala-Granlund trade ended up a lose-lose trade.

That's a little bit too early to say. If i had to guess, Granny will play his best hockey as a Predator in the 2nd half this year.

Guy is way too competitive and talented to struggle for over a calendar year without any major injuries. He'll also be aware how one 2nd half can change the narrative on him in contract year easily.

Forsberg-Duchene-Granny had some nice chemistry going early on, but Forsberg got hurt.

Preds feel a little different this year, more fresh and deeper up front. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go on another finals run while Granny plays his part in it.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Oilers would be willing to give the Wild a Granlund back for Fiala :naughty:

Daemar

Sep 13, 2011
Edmonton
Only player I’d be interested in is broberg. I’d even add Donato to make it happen. Adding Donato and Fiala definately improve the offensive depth of the oilers.

No way Broberg is traded. Interested in adding more overpaid Dmen or 4th line grinders? We have lots of either of those sadly...

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com

Nobody is giving up a top 2 center for Fiala. Centers have way more value than wingers, especially a winger with one point in 8 games. He's gonna need to be put in a position to succeed and produce to increase his value.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Idk why anyone would do this. Gherkin should focus on getting rid of bad contracts.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
That's a little bit too early to say. If i had to guess, Granny will play his best hockey as a Predator in the 2nd half this year.

Guy is way too competitive and talented to struggle for over a calendar year without any major injuries. He'll also be aware how one 2nd half can change the narrative on him in contract year easily.

Forsberg-Duchene-Granny had some nice chemistry going early on, but Forsberg got hurt.

Preds feel a little different this year, more fresh and deeper up front. Wouldn't be surprised to see them go on another finals run while Granny plays his part in it.

I am really hoping this is the case. Still a small sample size compared to his bigger production picture, so at some point you think a regression to the mean is coming...especially with the situation he has been put in.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Wasn't Fiala the one who broke his leg? He was looking like a stud before that, but he doesn't seem to be the same after that broken leg.

He had his best season following that injury so I don't think it's related to the broken leg. Last season was a big disappointment from him for us, but he still was at least producing at a half a point pace and showed some flashes that he may be good. Now he just seems to be nosediving but I'm not sure it has anything to do with his injury history.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He had his best season following that injury so I don't think it's related to the broken leg. Last season was a big disappointment from him for us, but he still was at least producing at a half a point pace and showed some flashes that he may be good. Now he just seems to be nosediving but I'm not sure it has anything to do with his injury history.
His nose dive started in mid January in Nashville and just hasn't stopped. He's got no real offensive instinct to go with all his skill.

Example, last night on the rush, he was trying to beat a guy one on one, the defender had the inside position, Fiala tries muscling past as he's crossing the blue line, it's clear that's not going to work pretty early... instead of peeling off to create something with the extra space he made and use his linemates, he continues into a zero scoring chance position and turns it over.

I mean, even slamming on the breaks alone would have been a better move at that speed at that point. That would have shed the defender and given him a clear passing lane at the least, if not opened a clean shot. I've seen Gaborik make fools of defenders doing that very thing, allowing him to unleash that lethal wrist shot he had.

Fiala just likes banging his head against walls repeatedly.

Last edited:
Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad