Friedman: Wild shopping Fiala?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Where did I say numbers don't matter? You have to take in the context. Expecting Fiala to get better in his mid twenties like Granlund just because Granlund did is very risky.

Expecting a player to get better in his mid 20s like most players do, isn’t as risky.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Fiala scored 0.48 ppg in nashville for three seasons before the trade. That's barely a 40 points per full season.
Granlund scored 0.84ppg in his last three seasons with Wild. That's 68 points per full season.

Not even close to what you said.

Yeah, you should tell the league how good Granlund was for Minny and see if they give us some extra goals this year or last year. Guy has been a complete zilch except for the few games he was tied to Forsberg and Duchene. I hope he turns it around, but if you want to think he is a '70 point' player then by all means pay the man his money based on that. I think this thread is more accurate than most people realize. I think the point he was making was whatever Granlund WAS in Minny is a moot point now, because he hasn't been that so far. Still a relatively short sample size, but I am getting kind of frustrated with the constant "wait until he gets going he is a 70 point player" replies.

If Granlund continues to struggle and we never really get any quality time out of him, while paying a good chunk of money for him then it's absolutely a bad trade for us. We will never trade him as we are contending so we can't salvage any value there. Realistically everybody called this just an absolute terrible trade that Nashville would walk away with, but it just shows you never know how a player will continue on their trajectory. At the end of Granlund's career his time in Nashville might be his least productive time, but that won't change the fact that it happened and we gave up an asset for a lesser asset in the moment....and before you say 'it isn't a lesser asset' I would tell you I think Fiala the way he was playing for Granlund the way he has played has been a downgrade.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Yeah, you should tell the league how good Granlund was for Minny and see if they give us some extra goals this year or last year. Guy has been a complete zilch except for the few games he was tied to Forsberg and Duchene. I hope he turns it around, but if you want to think he is a '70 point' player then by all means pay the man his money based on that. I think this thread is more accurate than most people realize. I think the point he was making was whatever Granlund WAS in Minny is a moot point now, because he hasn't been that so far. Still a relatively short sample size, but I am getting kind of frustrated with the constant 'wait until he gets going he is a 70 point player' replies.

If Granlund continues to struggle and we never really get any quality time out of him, while paying a good chunk of money for him then it's absolutely a bad trade for us. We will never trade him as we are contending so we can't salvage any value there. Realistically everybody called this just an absolute terrible trade that Nashville would walk away with, but it just shows you never know how a player will continue on their trajectory. At the end of Granlund's career his time in Nashville might be his least productive time, but that won't change the fact that it happened and we gave up an asset for a lesser asset in the moment....and before you say 'it isn't a lesser asset' I would tell you I think Fiala the way he was playing for Granlund the way he has played has been a downgrade.
Yeah i don't care. If Nashville can't make use of a player that has outscored their every player before his trade it's your loss.

Reactions: mattihp

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Yeah i don't care. If Nashville can't make use of a player that has outscored their every player before his trade it's your loss.

Yeah. Look at the numbers/advanced stats in the Preds/Hawks game last night. You'll see it's everybody else's fault but Granlund that he is struggling. We should blame the coach for giving him top PP minutes or playing him with those boat anchors Forsberg and Duchene.

Edit: now I see....its the international fanboy thing. I don't get that, but I have seen it enough to know I am not changing any minds.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Wonder if there is anything the Rangers could realistically offer for Fiala? Feel like he'd get his chance to play on the Rangers and develop his game further. Once Kreider is dealt, the top 6 is open to get into. Panarin is the only guy that is 100% getting top minutes. Kakko is a rookie, albeit a very skilled one, Buchnevich is up and down, and the other guys are mainly 3rd line types at best.

If they are looking for prospects, we have the #1 farm in the NHL. We have plenty of D prospects and a few good goalie prospects. Our forward prospect depth isn't high, so I'd say we could offer from our excess on defense and goaltending.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wonder if there is anything the Rangers could realistically offer for Fiala? Feel like he'd get his chance to play on the Rangers and develop his game further. Once Kreider is dealt, the top 6 is open to get into. Panarin is the only guy that is 100% getting top minutes. Kakko is a rookie, albeit a very skilled one, Buchnevich is up and down, and the other guys are mainly 3rd line types at best.

If they are looking for prospects, we have the #1 farm in the NHL. We have plenty of D prospects and a few good goalie prospects. Our forward prospect depth isn't high, so I'd say we could offer from our excess on defense and goaltending.
We're stuffed with defense and trading for goalie prospects seems like a fool's errand. As bad as things are it's still too early to start selling players for picks. When/if we hit that point it'll be guys like Staal, Koivu, Zucker and Brodin going out before Fiala.

In my mind a comparable center is the only thing it makes sense to move him for, which seems unlikely.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We're stuffed with defense and trading for goalie prospects seems like a fool's errand. As bad as things are it's still too early to start selling players for picks. When/if we hit that point it'll be guys like Staal, Koivu, Zucker and Brodin going out before Fiala.

In my mind a comparable center is the only thing it makes sense to move him for, which seems unlikely.

Something has to give on the wings eventually, and I'd much, much rather move on from Fiala than I would from Zucker.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
fiala for Tierney?

just going by the post above that the wild would be looking for a similar age center in return

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
fiala for Tierney?

just going by the post above that the wild would be looking for a similar age center in return

“Comparable center” not “similar age center”

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
fiala for Tierney?

It's not insulting, but I was thinking of someone a few years younger.

Edit: The more I think about this the less I dislike it. I really haven't watched Tierney much, but if he's a 40-50 point center he'd be worth thinking about. Especially if Guerin plans on moving on from Koivu.

I'd like to push the chips in on Fiala figuring things out, but I can also see regretting that decision by this time next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNewEra

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
It's not insulting, but I was thinking of someone a few years younger.

Makes sense Fiala is younger but Ottawas younger centers are on two extremes where I don't know if that would work

“Comparable center” not “similar age center”

Exact same career high in points, Fiala has a slightly higher ppg over his career compared to Tierney but Tierney plays a more important position.

The age reason made sense this is just poor logic

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Nashville is utilizing Granlund terribly. I think part of the reason he produced so well here is because we tailored our offense around him. The powerplay ran through him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Nashville is utilizing Granlund terribly. I think part of the reason he produced so well here is because we tailored our offense around him. The powerplay ran through him.
If the difference between 40-50 point Granlund and 60-70 point Granlund is a team orienting their entire offense around him I'm not sure that I'd fault the team for utilizing him wrong. At least not if they have better options, which the Predators do.

Reactions: Mikka The Grey

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Nashville has Forsberg, Johanson, Arvidsson and Duchene. It's not up to them to tailor the offense around him; it's up to him to find his spot in their offense.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If the difference between 40-50 point Granlund and 60-70 point Granlund is a team orienting their entire offense around him I'm not sure that I'd fault the team for utilizing him wrong. At least not if they have better options, which the Predators do.
I’m not faulting them for it. I’d surely have Duchene running the powerplay over Granlund there, just thought I’d put it out there

Reactions: mattihp

TK

Feb 26, 2019

No, Nashville isn't utilizing him terribly. After the trade last year, Granlund played more PP time than any other forward on the Preds. He had 30 seconds less even strength time per game than Johansen who led all forwards after the trade. Granlund was simply awful last year, period.

This year he has looked much better but that hasnt led to results yet. Before Forsberg was injured Granlund played with him and Duchene and it was by far the best line on the team. Since the Forsberg injury, I don't think Granlund has scored a single point despite playing with Duchene.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm mystified by Granlund's lack of production (that started before he was traded to NSH, btw). He's too young to be in decline, and his IQ and character were never in doubt. I thought that his poor play might've been due to a injury last year, but he had the whole summer to heal. Grasping at straws here, but having a new baby/household/team has distracted him? Doesn't seem to be that type.

BTW, I was always a bit a Granlund sceptic, but he finally won me over in 2016-17.

Fiala...he could be a bust, or he could end up being a legit top 6 forward. He's got the tools, but either he's dumbs as rocks or he is trying too hard.

Reactions: jaeger

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
We're not even getting 40-50 point Granlund either. Over his whole time in Nashville Granlund has been on a 26.5 point pace and is on a 27 point pace this season. Out of his four points this season only one of them, his goal against LA, has come from offense that he generated rather than great plays by Duchene and Forsberg. You can sit and make tons of arguments of why he's underperformed (poor utilization, playing him on the wrong wing, regular life things etc.), but at the end of the day he just hasn't been very good. Since we acquired him last season his points/60 at all strengths is 1.15, which is worse than any of our other forwards that are regularly in our lineup other than Salomaki. If you look at just this season he's slightly improved to a points/60 at all strengths of 1.2, which is only above Watson and Salomaki for players with over 5 GP. That's despite getting to play all but one game with Duchene and pretty good powerplay time (2:34/GP).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00