Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I havent watched Peart much so I dont know what to think tbh,

As far as stat-watching (which is all most of us do since none of us have time to watch everything) sure its a down year but prior to this he was out-producing Faber's NCAA career.

As far as tools I think he's pretty damn smart and he's a hell of a skater. He's not big - goligoski or addison sized but that's big enough to play if paired up with the right guy.

Lambos vs Peart is a tough call for me right now. Lambos is a higher ceiling but I generally prefer the smarter player. Even if thru rote repetition Lambos learns idk that he'll ever have the stick skills or reaction-time of a reliable NHL defenseman.

In my own rankings of Wild prospects I have Lambos significantly higher than Peart bc I want to believe there could be something that could change that could result in him being just smarter in all aspect on the ice. Like just load the kid up on caffeine and smelling salts before the game and suddenly he becomes another unicorn like Faber. Realistically Peart is prob the better player bc maybe he can make it to the NHL as like a better version of Goligosi/Addison.
Honestly, you just never know until they get to the NHL level, or never get there.

My guess is that Lambos would be looking better than he is right now if he was playing at St. Cloud State, but maybe not.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I havent watched Peart much so I dont know what to think tbh,

As far as stat-watching (which is all most of us do since none of us have time to watch everything) sure its a down year but prior to this he was out-producing Faber's NCAA career.

As far as tools I think he's pretty damn smart and he's a hell of a skater. He's not big - goligoski or addison sized but that's big enough to play if paired up with the right guy.

Lambos vs Peart is a tough call for me right now. Lambos is a higher ceiling but I generally prefer the smarter player. Even if thru rote repetition Lambos learns idk that he'll ever have the stick skills or reaction-time of a reliable NHL defenseman.

In my own rankings of Wild prospects I have Lambos significantly higher than Peart bc I want to believe there could be something that could change that could result in him being just smarter in all aspect on the ice. Like just load the kid up on caffeine and smelling salts before the game and suddenly he becomes another unicorn like Faber. Realistically Peart is prob the better player bc maybe he can make it to the NHL as like a better version of Goligosi/Addison.
He looks to me that he has grown a bit in the past 1 1/2 years. Looks to be of average height, about 6'. Certainly more Dumba sized than Addison, who he has at least 2-3" on. Peart has shown better defensive instincts than Lambos so far, but with prospects, you never know what a promotion to the next level will reveal. Didn't faze Faber at all to jump two levels, while guys like Beckman and Swaney have struggled.

I'm firmly on the fence regarding Lambos v Peart, but i was impressed by what I saw of Peart late last year. When i've seen him this year he has also looked very steady, and integral to SCSU's team, but doesn't seem to be involved in the scoring for some reason. I don't know if his coaches have told him that his role is to be more of a defensive stopper, or if he has taken a step backwards offensively this year for some reason. We'll see... he didn't really get going till about this time last year, especially during the stretch run to the post season.

I was impressed by lambos in the rookie camp, when i didn't expect to be. Powerful skater, and looks to be reasonably strong. Some interesting offensive instincts, but, unlike a guy like Addison, is willing to engage in, and win, board battles. The worry with him is that he might be a "Dumba lite", with his risk/reward governor permanently shut off. Too soon to say, though. the first year in the AHL is quite an adjustment for most players.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Goli was pretty dang good in Dallas. The Goli we see in MN is a shell of what he used to be as a player.
Don't forget his PIT years when he won a Cup. He was a very good NHL Dman for years, and will have close to 1100 regular season games under his belt when he retires.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Don't forget his PIT years when he won a Cup. He was a very good NHL Dman for years, and will have close to 1100 regular season games under his belt when he retires.

He won a Cup with PIT, but he was the injury callup guy, not an everyday player. PIT traded him just as he was really come into his own.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watched some of STC v Denver, as I find myself losing interest in the Wild as they are presently constructed. Peart looked ok, though two failed clears by him led to GA's. It could be argued they were pretty unlucky situations. He is a nice skater, and a sound, competent player with ok size, but he doesn't really stick out that much. Very vanilla. I need to see more of a pulse from him, and an ability to drive play, as a 3rd year college player.

Buium was on Denver. He sticks out. Decent or better size and strength, skates like the wind, excellent with the puck. Not sure how good he is defensively, as STC was having a hard time getting hold of the puck. Denver is pretty dominant. Would not be unhappy if we ended up with him in the draft...

Lorenz chipped in with a goal. Nor particularly noticeable otherwise.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
goddamn bankier is so much better than his dumbshit teammates. as poor of a skater as he is, he's now the default zone entry guy on the PP bc he's the only one that thinks fast enough and stick handles well enough.

beckman is back btw, cant catch a pass, cant make a pass, cant have the puck on his stick for more than a couple of seconds.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
goddamn bankier is so much better than his dumbshit teammates. as poor of a skater as he is, he's now the default zone entry guy on the PP bc he's the only one that thinks fast enough and stick handles well enough.

beckman is back btw, cant catch a pass, cant make a pass, cant have the puck on his stick for more than a couple of seconds.
Bankier is the reason to watch Iowa.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Bankier is the reason to watch Iowa.
Yeah. In fairness "goddamn bankier is so much better than his dumbshit teammates" might have been a touch too strong lol.

he's scoring a variety of ways. first one was a snipe (admittedly against a tendy that's prob not great) just outside the slot and a sort of wide angle. The second was jumping on a short rebound net front and punching it home. And its not puck luck or unsustainably high shooting pct. Hes getting a lot of chances - almost had the hat trick on a one timer from a pass behind the net.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
They don't trust him with a shootout yet, nor Beckman, which shows how far his stock has fallen. It was Walker, Luchini, and, surprisingly, Milne. I am hesitant to criticize the choices, because the coaches will have seen them do SO's multiple times in practice, and will have away better idea than we do as to who is the best.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I am out of town so I did not get to see the game last night, nor will I get to see tonight's game. How did Milne look in his return? Love the Bankier goals...

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Watched some of STC v Denver, as I find myself losing interest in the Wild as they are presently constructed. Peart looked ok, though two failed clears by him led to GA's. It could be argued they were pretty unlucky situations. He is a nice skater, and a sound, competent player with ok size, but he doesn't really stick out that much. Very vanilla. I need to see more of a pulse from him, and an ability to drive play, as a 3rd year college player.

Buium was on Denver. He sticks out. Decent or better size and strength, skates like the wind, excellent with the puck. Not sure how good he is defensively, as STC was having a hard time getting hold of the puck. Denver is pretty dominant. Would not be unhappy if we ended up with him in the draft...

Lorenz chipped in with a goal. Nor particularly noticeable otherwise.

Was just watching the clip of the shorthanded goal Lorenz scored on Peart. Didnt watch the game so idk if that counts as one of the two occasions youre mentioning or if those are seperate plays from this one but on this one anyway I hold Peart's play pretty blameless or even good.

SCSU had 4 forwards on for the PP and Peart was holding the corner of the blueline - the pass back to him gets bumped out to center and the forward that was on for a defenseman had already started cheating toward the net (maybe designed for a pass from Peart) and was out of position to contest the loose puck. Peart - from a stop and the wall - does actually catch Carter King of Denver before he gets to the slot but King makes a cut back and tight pass to Lorenz who manages to control and finish with the previously out of position SCSU forward draped on his back. I guess Peart could have noticed the cut back quicker (easy to say in slow motion) and been in a better position to achieve the stick check but im sure in that situation overwhelming priority is to get in front of the guy and a smart decision by King to pull the puck back against Peart's momentum where he couldnt reach. And I mean that's a high-level control and finish by Lorenz there.

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Was just watching the clip of the shorthanded goal Lorenz scored on Peart. Didnt watch the game so idk if that counts as one of the two occasions youre mentioning or if those are seperate plays from this one but on this one anyway I hold Peart's play pretty blameless or even good.

SCSU had 4 forwards on for the PP and Peart was holding the corner of the blueline - the pass back to him gets bumped out to center and the forward that was on for a defenseman had already started cheating toward the net (maybe designed for a pass from Peart) and was out of position to contest the loose puck. Peart - from a stop and the wall - does actually catch Carter King of Denver before he gets to the slot but King makes a cut back and tight pass to Lorenz who manages to control and finish with the previously out of position SCSU forward draped on his back. I guess Peart could have noticed the cut back quicker (easy to say in slow motion) and been in a better position to achieve the stick check but im sure in that situation overwhelming priority is to get in front of the guy and a smart decision by King to pull the puck back against Peart's momentum where he couldnt reach. And I mean that's a high-level control and finish by Lorenz there.
NO, it was two clears that he failed to make, but as i said, they were sort of unlucky. One was a pass that got knocked down mid air by denver which led to a GA, another a clear off the boards that again was held in, leading to a GA.

Peart was by no means bad, but at this point I expect him to be on of the better Dmen in the league, and I wasn't seeing that, though Denver can be overwhelming. Having great skating ability doesn't help you if you aren't using it, and that's part of what i saw.

Reactions: Wonderful Tacos

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Spacek had 6 shots on goal tonight for Iowa. No dice for goals or points.

Milne had a goal and an assist.

Beckman a goal.
Spacek has been more assertive in the offensive zone lately. Actually, more assertive everywhere, although I did see him get walked a few times and outpositioned a few times. There has been an uptick in his play the last week or two.

The team actually looked much better last night - actually had a few lines rolling and some puck possession time.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
7-3. Not watching tonight, just saw boxscore. 7 minutes left. Beckman with third goal in three games, Spacek with two apples, and Lambos with one apple.

Beckman grabs another goal and Milne picks up an assist. 7-4 final.

Last edited:

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Two assists for Healey last night. Now sitting at 18 pts in 19 games. Maybe it makes sense to get him signed after the season. Can't have too many RD in the sytem.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Two assists for Healey last night. Now sitting at 18 pts in 19 games. Maybe it makes sense to get him signed after the season. Can't have too many RD in the sytem.
2nd on his team in scoring, wow. 1st among defenseman, with the next closest d-man being Jamie's son, Mason Langenbrunner, with 4 points. I'm just going to take a wild guess and bet that Healy is running their powerplay.

Looking at that team's roster feels like looking at an NHL game's roster after too long of a time playing Be A GM mode. Mason Langenbrunner, Kyle Aucoin, Marek Hejduk.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
With Rossi and Faber graduating, we drop to 11th - still solid especially consider the graduates are key young players, not just depth guys

• Still need Yurov or Rossi to displace Ek as the ES/PP 1C before I'm comfortable at that position, I see Heidt and Khusnutdinov as wingers in the NHL
  • Maybe Kumpulainen becomes the new Jack McBain type player for us (without the not wanting to play here part)? Easily projectable as a bottom six C, not much upside beyond that
  • Stramel at 6 feels like pure hopium at this point, I'd move him below most of those guys after him
Otherwise seems pretty decent to me? Biggest wildcard is what position Yurov plays in the NHL, and I think that depends as much on Rossi's continued development as it does Yurov's.

Kaprizov-Yurov-Boldy
Heidt-Rossi-?
Ohgren-Ek-Khusnutdinov
?-Kumpulainen-?

or

Kaprizov-Rossi-Boldy
Heidt-Ek-Yurov
Ohgren-?-Khusnutdinov
?-Kumpulainen-?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can see Bankier being a bottom six C, as well, and Dewar should be around for a few more years. Don’t ask me what they are going to do with Gaudreau and Hartman.
I will be fine with Yurov as a wing, as I think JEE and Rossi will do a decent job as top 6 c’s. If he pushes one of the two down to #3C and he plays a top 6 C, then fine and dandy, but I think Rossi will be fine if he is surrounded with some talent. Using him as a defensive 3C is a waste of what he does best, which is figure into scoring.

Reactions: Circulartheory

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
generally agree with what he's got to say here and the players he chose to focus on.

he seems to value intelligence (hockey iq) less than I do tho and ive been reconsidering my extreme preference for high iq guys as i've been watching bankier because he plays with such little pace and its clear how it could prevent him reaching the NHL regardless of how smart he is. I have trouble thinking of NHL forwards that have played that slow - like late-stage Heatley and Vanek I guess?

Still, all things being equal, I prefer to compromise on skating rather intelligence bc i think the former is more improvable and bc half of "playing with pace" is having quick reactions and forming fast and accurate mental models of where the other players are anyway.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2