Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
beggars can’t be choosers. This team desperately needs young legs and offense.

I’d have no qualms with it. It’s not like he’s Voynov or Ribiero or something

Greater than 50/50 one would think. Our depth up front is atrocious.
I think he has to prove he can be relied upon. If he can do that, I’ll lighten up.

Reactions: MNRube

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Definitely a quitter, even if he comes back.
If he had left and stopped developing (ex. Khovanov, Sokolov), I'd understand calling him a quitter. Instead, he simply went to a league that's just as good and continued developing, just in a country where he's more comfortable, and he gets to take a plane instead of a bus.

I'd have done the same, and I never quit on anything, except things that are stupid and I don't like them anymore.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If he had left and stopped developing (ex. Khovanov, Sokolov), I'd understand calling him a quitter. Instead, he simply went to a league that's just as good and continued developing, just in a country where he's more comfortable, and he gets to take a plane instead of a bus.

I'd have done the same, and I never quit on anything, except things that are stupid and I don't like them anymore.

I look at the fact that Guerin and the Wild had to literally give him permission to leave, and they did, and I think, maybe it's not worth getting upset that he went to Russia for a couple years.

He's only a year older than Rossi, it's not like he wasted his entire prime over there and is now crawling back because we're his only path to the NHL. The kid wasn't NHL ready coming out of college so he goes to, frankly, a better team and situation to develop his game.

Reactions: BagHead

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think he has to prove he can be relied upon. If he can do that, I’ll lighten up.

images

• Wow
Reactions: TaLoN

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Russo’s exact words to describe the Firstov situation from a mailbag last summer (LINK):
As for Firstov, we’re told he’s staying in Russia at least another year. The Wild thought maybe the coaching change in Iowa would entice him to come back, but so far no. Who knows if we ever see him again? He essentially quit Iowa in 2021-22.
If Firstov thought playing in the KHL was better, then he should have gone there before the Iowa season started. Instead, he comes off as a guy who folds at the first sign of trouble. Unreliable.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Russo’s exact words to describe the Firstov situation from a mailbag last summer (LINK):

If Firstov thought playing in the KHL was better, then he should have gone there before the Iowa season started. Instead, he comes off as a guy who folds at the first sign of trouble. Unreliable.
Sometimes you don't know a thing/situation is better or worse for you right away. I went to the University of Minnesota, and pursued a degree there. After 3 semesters I "quit" because the U of M sucked for me, where it's been great for other people. Now I'm at the U of a different M and ripping it up there because it's the right fit. It's ok to get out of a situation that is or will be bad for you. Russo's poor word selection does not make Firstov a quitter in the way most people mean quitter.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sometimes you don't know a thing/situation is better or worse for you right away. I went to the University of Minnesota, and pursued a degree there. After 3 semesters I "quit" because the U of M. It's ok to ... be ... a quitter.
:sarcasm:

One of my sons is at the U(engineering) and has complained about the awful profs, and TA's. He gets the odd good one, but in general, he thinks the school is out of touch with what is really going on in the field. Add on to that that the roof caved in on his dorm room during the winter, and that they have the gall to charge him(us) the same as a regular class for a co-op class(which isn't a class, but him doing a report on what he is doing while he works at a job that he got on his own), and a few other things...well it hasn't all been perfect.

What has worked is that he jumped right into a club (Formula - makes IC and EV cars from scratch), met some really smart, good, driven people there. It's a lot of work, but he says thats where he learns the most, by far, and he gets the best teaching. They apparently have a hilariously bad club soccer team that he is part of, and he plays pickup basketball when he can. He also made an effort to meet people right away, which really isn't his thing, but in the rare moments when he isn't studying or trying to get the car(s) to work he finds time to do a few social things.

Bottom line is that if he hadn't joined the right club, at the right time(when they had such good people involved), he would probably not be enjoying his time there, and would've considered transferring.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

One of my sons is at the U(engineering) and has complained about the awful profs, and TA's. He gets the odd good one, but in general, he thinks the school is out of touch with what is really going on in the field. Add on to that that the roof caved in on his dorm room during the winter, and that they have the gall to charge him(us) the same as a regular class for a co-op class(which isn't a class, but him doing a report on what he is doing while he works at a job that he got on his own), and a few other things...well it hasn't all been perfect.

What has worked is that he jumped right into a club (Formula - makes IC and EV cars from scratch), met some really smart, good, driven people there. It's a lot of work, but he says thats where he learns the most, by far, and he gets the best teaching. They apparently have a hilariously bad club soccer team that he is part of, and he plays pickup basketball when he can. He also made an effort to meet people right away, which really isn't his thing, but in the rare moments when he isn't studying or trying to get the car(s) to work he finds time to do a few social things.

Bottom line is that if he hadn't joined the right club, at the right time(when they had such good people involved), he would probably not be enjoying his time there, and would've considered transferring.
Hah, engineering is what I went there for, too. I felt like the classes were too large, the student tutoring and support systems were lackluster at best, and the whole place just felt like a fragmented, difficult place to learn at. I did not find a club to be a part of, though, which probably would have helped as I'd have had friends I could ask questions of. I know of the club your son is a part of, it looks so fun! I hope your son is able to stick with it and make it through. He has my best wishes.

LachWild925

Apr 11, 2023

I’m currently doing something very similar to your son— I’m on co-op right now at Northeastern. No classes just working, and I don’t need to pay for anything; to me that’s outrageous that he needs to pay to work (or the class at least). Is he currently in any other classes alongside work?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I’m currently doing something very similar to your son— I’m on co-op right now at Northeastern. No classes just working, and I don’t need to pay for anything; to me that’s outrageous that he needs to pay to work (or the class at least). Is he currently in any other classes alongside work?
Well, he's back at school, now, but no, all he did was the "Coop class", which was basically nothing run by people who didn't care or know anything about what he was doing. Many schools have the same thing(Purdue and Northeastern are known for their Coops), but usually they only charge a couple of hundred.

If he does a coop again it will be on an unofficial basis, because he doesn't need the extra credits, but at this point he just wants to get his degree and get working. He has already got a lot of opportunities to work during the summer months - his kind of Engineers are in demand right now.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Watched some more of Peart. Very solid, doesn't seem to make mistakes, has a nice firm pass, vg skating, and is positionally sound. Still, i want more from him. He should be jumping up in the play and affecting the game more than he does, yet seems to sit back and be content to be a no event Dman.

I was so high on him after last year's playoff run, but now...pffft...vg college player, but this year i find him underwhelming. Might be another one to add to the pile of LHD in iowa.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Watched some more of Peart. Very solid, doesn't seem to make mistakes, has a nice firm pass, vg skating, and is positionally sound. Still, i want more from him. He should be jumping up in the play and affecting the game more than he does, yet seems to sit back and be content to be a no event Dman.

I was so high on him after last year's playoff run, but now...pffft...vg college player, but this year i find him underwhelming. Might be another one to add to the pile of LHD in iowa.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he goes the Free Agent route. I like his skillset too, but there are a glut of similarly talented LHD around his age languishing in Iowa.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
and, of course, after i whine about his lack of impact, he has two assists in a crucial win.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

At the 1:01:23 mark someone asks about Firstov.

Main follow up points:
-Russo said that it's in the works for Firstov to go play for Iowa the rest of the season.
-Likely brought to camp next year to try and make the Wild
-Guerin has not promised Firstov anything
-Wild tried to bring him back last summer to no avail
-They are working to get him the "proper immigration paperwork" to get him here
-Russo asserted (again) that the Wild were not happy when he left Iowa previously

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Rieger Lorenz hadn't really stood out much for me previously, but he has had a very good sophomore campaign so far: 14 goals, 26 points for the Pioneers. Very nice progression for a kid who is turning 20 later this month.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rieger Lorenz hadn't really stood out much for me previously, but he has had a very good sophomore campaign so far: 14 goals, 26 points for the Pioneers. Very nice progression for a kid who is turning 20 later this month.
I can see him being a 4th liner for the Wild in the future. Duhaime replacement.

Reactions: MNRube

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
2 games left and 3 goals to go to reach 70 for Heidt's linemate, Zac Funk. Think he'll make it?

For those curious, in the last decade of play in the WHL, only Connor Bedard and Jayden Halbgewachs have scored 70 or more goals. Real mixed company, that.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
2 games left and 3 goals to go to reach 70 for Heidt's linemate, Zac Funk. Think he'll make it?

For those curious, in the last decade of play in the WHL, only Connor Bedard and Jayden Halbgewachs have scored 70 or more goals. Real mixed company, that.

I was convinced you made him up but nope, a real guy. The slight caveat of course is that Jayden did it in his last CHL season, turning 21 at the end of it.

As a side note, that 17-18 Moose Jaw Warriors team is also an absolute gem when it comes to hockey names. Aside from good Mr. Halbgewachs, we also have notables such as Kale Clague, Branden Klatt, Daemon Hunt, Spencer Bast, Luka Burzan, Tate Popple, Jett Woo, and my personal favourite Jaxan Kaluski. Honestly, you could tell me half the team are EA NHL regens, and I wouldn't bat an eye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad