AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Slovakia also lost, Petrovsky didn't score today against Finland

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
My viewing of him, I came with "jack of all trades, master of none" vibes, let call them JOATs. And these types of prospects tend to fall in the draft as IMO, teams like prospects with at least 1-2 clear skills that are above their draft class. That is because it's easier to develop prospects who have a clear path to the pros. They know exactly what to work on and what type of player they want to be.

Prospects that either have exceptional skill (Rossi), great skaters (Brodin), or have strength/size to work with (Eriksson-Ek) tend to be favoured. Some rise because of a clear size difference because they still have a relatively solid foundation to work off (from 2024 Simashev).

Players that fall into the JOAT category is Hunter Shinkaruk, Curtis Lazar, Jared McCann, Colin White, Barrett Hayton. From last year, probably Yager. Great junior players but posters always ask, why did they fall? Obviously, I'm sure you could go the opposite say there is more 1-trick ponies that fail and even on the JOAT list, McCann has done very well and the clearest example of a player that just a JOAT but continue to add to ALL his skills is Ryan O'Reilly; but its just a trend that I personally see. Could also explain why Shane Wright fell just a few spots.

This is why I'm in love with the Ohgren pick (solid all round core with clear shot and strength attributes to work with) and skeptical of the Stramel pick (some clear 2-3 tools but missing that well-rounded core, all raw stuff) and Heidt. More was excited about Kumpulainen.

So when I watched Heidt, I thought he was above average skill but he wasn't creating space for himself via great control of the puck (see Rossi how he rolls of players after attacking the zone, then slowing down the pace), he was fast but not exceptional fast, and he doesn't have the size to add more muscle nor is that his game. So his a master of none but a good junior player.

NOW, with ALL the said; IMO that is why Heidt fell on draft day, anything after that is up to him. I still had him in the 40s but 40s is lower than most had him ranked. And if you are going to prove doubters wrong, being 1st in the WHL in scoring is a damn good way of doing it. So I'm excited to see him in the next year's prospect tourney and see how much faster and stronger he is. Could be a steal.
You guys can correct me if I am wrong - and I don't have my draft notes or guides readily available. I thought he was referred to as just a PP/secondary assist guy. I took it as there was concern he could play 5 on 5. Even in the exhibition games where his line looked good, he only stood out to me when he was on the PP. I thought Haight was the better play driver 5 on 5.

Anyone comment on Petrovsky's play today?

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
If it's more than one year, it's a pretty massive disappointment not being able to see him play in NA. I think he will develop/thrive in the KHL. If that's what they (Yurov, management, and KHL team) think is the best route, so be it. Hope it won't be a factor on Kaprizov re-signing.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The real question is why does the CHL have such a fundamentally poor brand of hockey?

It's fundamentally varsity high school hockey. The lowest common dominator is 16 year old kids and the hockey is geared towards the players in the 16-18 yo age group. It's a great developmental league for the pre-draft years, and even post-draft for most of it's standard players. It's just the smaller number of very good but not NHL good players it ends up hurting.

I've compared it to low-A or a rookie league in MLB terms in the past. There just isn't the next higher level for the players that should have graduated out of that league so players stagnate when they've become "too good" for the league.

Reactions: Minnesota

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's fundamentally varsity high school hockey. The lowest common dominator is 16 year old kids and the hockey is geared towards the players in the 16-18 yo age group. It's a great developmental league for the pre-draft years, and even post-draft for most of it's standard players. It's just the smaller number of very good but not NHL good players it ends up hurting.

I've compared it to low-A or a rookie league in MLB terms in the past. There just isn't the next higher level for the players that should have graduated out of that league so players stagnate when they've become "too good" for the league.
They would absolutely destroy MNHS teams.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Wabit

May 23, 2016
They would absolutely destroy MNHS teams.

As they should, considering half their roster are kids that are college age and they are drafted from all over the country and not bound by district lines. Hence why it's a better developmental league for pre-draft kids.

It still doesn't change the fact that the league is at varsity high school level fundamentally. They don't have the higher level strategies, systems, game plans, etc.

Put the CHL teams up against a D1 college team and they'll get destroyed too. MNHS (14-18yo), CHL (16-21 yo), College (18-23yo). The age differences are about the same for MNHS to CHL and it would be for CHL to college. The college game compared to MNHS and CHL is much more refined and structured.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Today the vid appeared where Yurov was asked about the extension and it's length and he told that "It is still in the negotiation stage, but I'm sure I'm staying".
Oh, now that’s interesting, if only because it sounds verbatim to Ryan Suter in Nashville lol.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It’s a for profit league with a draft that recruits from all over. Not remotely comparable
I was responding to a poster that directly compared the CHL to Varsity HS teams. Take it up with him.

JFC Guerin, get off your ass! Freddy Gaudreau, Ryan Hartman, Marcus Johansson, and whoever you get to replace Maroon are not going to get anything done. Get Yurov over here, you idiot.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Im cool with Yurov developing in Russia as long as it’s not to preserve our mediocre veteran’s roles. Mojo, Hartman, Foligno, Freddy - none of these guys are above a 4th line role and they should not prevent a possible difference maker from coming over

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Im cool with Yurov developing in Russia as long as it’s not to preserve our mediocre veteran’s roles. Mojo, Hartman, Foligno, Freddy - none of these guys are above a 4th line role and they should not prevent a possible difference maker from coming over
Same here. Mojo is not that big of a problem, at least until GMBG hands over that damn 4x4 NMC.
He's gone after caphell, and is a serviceable 3rd liner for #2M until then.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it's absurd that BG is not doing everything in his power to get Yurov over here ASAP. Next year Zucc will be a year older, and it's not like Marjo should be a 2nd liner, anyway, so there'd be room for Yurov in the top 6. Add in the fact that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Kap to be able to play with a talented Russian ... I mean, he shouldn't pick him because he is Russian, but if he's good, and also happens to be Russian, that's a small bonus.

I could understand it if Marat, or Ohgren, or Bankier, so someone was killing it, but Yurov is, at present, our best forward prospect not in the NHL, and we are a team in need of ELC offensive talent. Seems bloody obvious to me.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I think it's absurd that BG is not doing everything in his power to get Yurov over here ASAP. Next year Zucc will be a year older, and it's not like Marjo should be a 2nd liner, anyway, so there'd be room for Yurov in the top 6. Add in the fact that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Kap to be able to play with a talented Russian ... I mean, he shouldn't pick him because he is Russian, but if he's good, and also happens to be Russian, that's a small bonus.

I could understand it if Marat, or Ohgren, or Bankier, so someone was killing it, but Yurov is, at present, our best forward prospect not in the NHL, and we are a team in need of ELC offensive talent. Seems bloody obvious to me.
I honestly don't know what Guerin has tried, or what else he could try. If you've got ideas, I'd be happy to hear them and be persuaded to change my mind. It's been reported that Guerin's in constant contact with Yurov, so it's not like he's done nothing. Harassing the kid will drive him away, and he can't force him to come over. My hope is that Guerin has made him feel welcome, and that he's got a home here once he's ready. I think he'd make the NHL team right now, but if Yurov himself thinks he needs another year of development to be certain of it, how can you convince him without just gifting him the job?

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I honestly don't know what Guerin has tried, or what else he could try. If you've got ideas, I'd be happy to hear them and be persuaded to change my mind. It's been reported that Guerin's in constant contact with Yurov, so it's not like he's done nothing. Harassing the kid will drive him away, and he can't force him to come over. My hope is that Guerin has made him feel welcome, and that he's got a home here once he's ready. I think he'd make the NHL team right now, but if Yurov himself thinks he needs another year of development to be certain of it, how can you convince him without just gifting him the job?
I'm told that's one of BG's strengths

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I wouldn’t be upset if they gifted him the job honestly. Get Khus and Yurov over here at the same time & let Kaprizov help them get accustomed to a NA lifestyle.

Reactions: 57special

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn’t be upset if they gifted him the job honestly. Get Khus and Yurov over here at the same time & let Kaprizov help them get accustomed to a NA lifestyle.
The bottom line is that he has to get things done. He couldn't get McBain done, who is now taking a regular shift on a decent team. Has size, and plays C. Giving Guerin passes and the benefit of the doubt year after after year because ... why?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
The bottom line is that he has to get things done. He couldn't get McBain done, who is now taking a regular shift on a decent team. Has size, and plays C. Giving Guerin passes and the benefit of the doubt year after after year because ... why?
McBain would definitely be a nice guy to have for the bottom 6 right now. I’m just thankful that Guerin was at least able to get a 2nd out of that situation. Still never understood how McBain came to the conclusion that he wouldn’t crack the lineup here.

I understand why teams don’t want to “rush” prospects, but I can’t think of a better time to introduce ELCs into your lineup than during a flat cap with $15M in dead cap. If Guerin is okay with letting Yurov develop in a men’s league, then why not let him play in a men’s league with one of his country’s best players.

I’d love to see a Kap - Yurov/Khus - Khus/Yurov line.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Have I been doing that? I've given him credit where I've felt it's due, and blame where I've felt it's due, but this doesn't really fit squarely into either of those for me yet. I simply don't know what more he can do besides stay in contact and make sure he knows he's got a place here when he's ready.

Reactions: Circulartheory

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Have I been doing that? I've given him credit where I've felt it's due, and blame where I've felt it's due, but this doesn't really fit squarely into either of those for me yet. I simply don't know what more he can do besides stay in contact and make sure he knows he's got a place here when he's ready.
I think if Yurov felt he’d have a spot on an NHL line next season, he wouldn’t even be considering re-signing in the KHL. Making a guaranteed $950k vs $175k in the AHL is a pretty big difference.

——————————————————

Just for fun, let’s guarantee two spots to Khus & Yurov.

Kap - Khus - Yurov
MoJo - Ek - Boldy
Zucc - Rossi - X
Foligno - Gaudreau - Hartman

Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
Merrill - X

Gus
Wall

$9.9M available in cap with Dewar as the only notable RFA. Add Dewar, Hanifin, and Hunt & I’d be pretty excited to see how that lineup performs next year.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I watched a bit of him, and liked him. Not exciting, and maybe even more than most prospects need to grow into his long body, but he skates and handles the puck decently, and makes smart decisions. Not the type of player that sticks out and makes you go "Wow", for better or worse.

I will be interested to see what he turns into in 3-4 years.

Hmmm.. might take some of that back. Really nice goal from him today. Gained the puck from an active forecheck, showing good speed, then evaded a couple of defenders up high in the O zone before ripping a shot from 35' out. Showed a lot of talent on the goal. Maybe not spectacular, but impressive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad