Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
As much as we like to shit on our 2018 draft and our first round pick FJ, that was a terrible draft year. It’s difficult to find a player picked after FJ that would make a difference on this team (Sharangovich in the 5th was the only top six/top 4 guy I could find). One could argue that by acquiring Addison and drafting Dewar and McBain, we did better than most.

• Wow
Reactions: Wild11MN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
As much as we like to shit on our 2018 draft and our first round pick FJ, that was a terrible draft year. It’s difficult to find a player picked after FJ that would make a difference on this team (Sharangovich in the 5th was the only top six/top 4 guy I could find). One could argue that by acquiring Addison and drafting Dewar and McBain, we did better than most.
Get out of here with your semi positive outlook. That’s not allowed around these parts!

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Samuelsson (BUF). He's the, big/physical d-man that you'd pair with Spurgeon.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Here is a fun fact on MN's recent drafting. For the 2021 eligible draft year MN has spent a
1st: Lambos (LD)
2nd: Peart (LD)
4th: Masters (RD)
5th (2023): Poink (LD)
5th (2022): Spacek
6th: Benoit (LD)

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yes, and no. Alexander Romanov, Ryan McLeod, Martin Fehervary, Sean Durzi all played more than 100 games.

You also have Jonatan Berggren, Jack Drury, Kirill Marchenko, and Philipp Kurashev. Both Rasmus Sandin and Joe Veleno have played almost 2 full seasons. Sandin was also traded for a first round pick.

This is the make or break year for many 2018 picks.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Here is a fun fact on MN's recent drafting. For the 2021 eligible draft year MN has spent a
1st: Lambos (LD)
2nd: Peart (LD)
4th: Masters (RD)
5th (2023): Poink (LD)
5th (2022): Spacek
6th: Benoit (LD)
And they pretended this year was the first they were targeting positions. Wabit's on to you, Bill!

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
Yes, and no. Alexander Romanov, Ryan McLeod, Martin Fehervary, Sean Durzi all played more than 100 games.

You also have Jonatan Berggren, Jack Drury, Kirill Marchenko, and Philipp Kurashev. Both Rasmus Sandin and Joe Veleno have played almost 2 full seasons. Sandin was also traded for a first round pick.

This is the make or break year for many 2018 picks.
Kind of makes my point, if those are the most impressive guys that were drafted after FJ.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Yes, because a 2nd round pick and a top 10 pick are the same thing.
I would argue that doesn't change the timeline on using bust labels. Not saying you did or anything (I can't keep track of who said what) but I just agreeing with the previously made sentiment that Rossi isn't a bust yet. It just changes upside expectations on said prospect, but when they hit those expectations should be the relatively the same. A top 10 pick should not be expected to make the NHL faster than a 2nd round pick as they usually the same age (I would argue Rossi is given an extra year due to COVID).

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
And we all know that first rounders all progress at the same trajectory
So, why draft in the top 10? Or even top 3 if all first round picks are all the same and may have delayed trajectories? I mean why draft Adam Fantilli when you can have Charles Stramel?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Use 10% of your brain power and you'll find the answer.
I could say the same thing; you expect your top 10 picks to make an impact sooner. Look at the concerns regarding Cooley, Gauthier and them not joining their teams.

If you're expecting the trajectory of a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be the same as a top 10 pick, then there is no use debating.

More so, there were the same questions surrounding guys like Holtz, Podkolzin, Turcotte as Rossi. Rossi gets the benefit of having a LTI to dispel some of the concerns. I think a LOT of fans are waiting to see if another good off-season will elevate Rossi or if he'll start in the AHL again this year with a lot of questions if he can adapt to the NHL. There are certain things that fans and teams look for and both fans and the team is looking at Rossi and wondering if he a) has the speed and b) the strength to stay in the NHL.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
2018 draft picks: more time to see how it shakes out.

2020 draft pick Marco Rossi: bust.
I don't know if "bust" is the right term for Rossi. I think it's highly unlikely he will be a legit 1C, which is what most people want out of a center picked in the top 10. There is also legit concern on if he will be a center at all at the NHL level. With some posters saying he wouldn't perform well as a wing, like Granlund did, there is a lot of concern with him as a player. That concern was likely a driving factor in picking Stramel and Kumpulainen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I could say the same thing; you expect your top 10 picks to make an impact sooner. Look at the concerns regarding Cooley, Gauthier and them not joining their teams.

If you're expecting the trajectory of a 2nd or 3rd round pick to be the same as a top 10 pick, then there is no use debating.

More so, there were the same questions surrounding guys like Holtz, Podkolzin, Turcotte as Rossi. Rossi gets the benefit of having a LTI to dispel some of the concerns. I think a LOT of fans are waiting to see if another good off-season will elevate Rossi or if he'll start in the AHL again this year with a lot of questions if he can adapt to the NHL. There are certain things that fans and teams look for and both fans and the team is looking at Rossi and wondering if he a) has the speed and b) the strength to stay in the NHL.
What else could be a different expectation between a top 3 pick (Fantilli) and a 20+ pick (Stramel)? I wonder...

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Rossi (or better yet my expectations for Rossi) has been dissapointing.... but nobody in their right mind can say a 21 year old kid that suffered through myocardial issues like he did is a bust yet. I still think the kids going to be a stud. Hoping this is the year...

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Rossi (or better yet my expectations for Rossi) has been dissapointing.... but nobody in their right mind can say a 21 year old kid that suffered through myocardial issues like he did is a bust. I still think the kids going to be a stud. Hoping this is the year...
His offseason determination this year seems to mirror the determination Granlund had after his early struggles. Grandlund came back after that pivotal summer a MUCH improved player!

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
His offseason determination this year seems to mirror the determination Granlund had after his early struggles. Grandlund came back after that pivotal summer a MUCH improved player!
Agreed. I'm cautiously excited to see how he does, probably the one thing I'm most looking forward to watching this upcoming season since I'm expecting, at best, another first round exit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad