Prospect Info: Wild Development Camp 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So....does anyone have anything on todays scrimmage?

Anything? Was no one from HF Wild there to watch?

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Kurtis Gabriel wasn't drafted to score goals, or to play a top 6 role, he was drafted to play a certain role on this team that the management wanted filled and felt he would be a guy who could do that.

There will be guys who were picked after him who will have a better career than him, guys we could have chosen but thats beyond the point. He was picked for a reason and no you won't see him score, you won't see him goon it up with massive fights, that isn't who he is. He is going to go and play balls to the wall the whole game, he'll be scrappy, he'll agitate, he'll do the dirty work so our top 6 guys won't have to.

His contribution will never be on a score sheet, it will be his team mates who go will notice it. For the last time, he has a role to play as envisioned by the guys who drafted him. Whether or not we should have picked Fasching or who ever over him is pointless, we picked him for a reason and passed on everyone else for a reason at that spot, don't sit here and wait for him to blossom into a scoring winger, or look for big stats, he won't give that to you.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Didn't realize it was at Braemar( which will be the Wild's practice facility in upcoming years).

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Yeah apparently gelinas looked good. We may actually have a solid defense corps. Brodin, scandy, spurg, Dumba, olofsson, folin, gelinas. Lot of young guys that could be here a while.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Yeah apparently gelinas looked good. We may actually have a solid defense corps. Brodin, scandy, spurg, Dumba, olofsson, folin, gelinas. Lot of young guys that could be here a while.

That's what I was thinking. Looking at the camp roster that blue line looks pretty darn good. Olofsson, Dumba, Folin, Faith, Gelinas, Soucy, and so on.

Forward lines leave a bit to be desired, especially at the higher end, but eh.

Still think Duke will be the gem that stands out in a few years from this draft.

Decided to read the first write up.

Dude needs to read through his stuff before posting it. Or if he does, get a solid editor or something because clearly there is something not clicking. Almost every single paragraph has at least one grammatical error, missing word(s), or writing decisions that left me shaking my head. Sports writing in general just doesn't pay enough attention to the actual writing. Russo makes plenty of mistakes too but his aren't nearly as glaring as this Tony Dean guy. Unless this is a one-off bad writing job, he needs to work on his stuff.
Phillips on the other hand is a player that is stuck in prospect limbo a bit at this point. Being a former first round pick a huge point producer in his juniors career, maybe Phillips wont crack an NHL roster unless he prove capable of playing bottom six minutes?
Keranen actually showed some frustration and played a bit of physically punishing hockey which was an interest development and reinforced a bit what we heard on him. Keranen maybe had bad day but certainly the word for Michael Russo earlier today that he was open to playing for the 'Baby Wild' gives him a more realistic shot to play in North America this fall.
The most impressive in this group in my opinion was 2013 2nd round selection Gustav Olofsson who used is big frame to eliminate opponents opportunity and separate them from the puck often
The defenseman invitee group included Alex Gudbranson who is the brother of Florida top prospect Eric who was selected 3rd overall in 2010. Alex is 19 years old and has gon undrafted to this point. Hunter Warner is an Eden Prairie kid who has been playing for Waterloo of the USHL. Warner was looking to make a name for himself today lining up opponents and delivering punishing body checks including a center ice hit on Bartschy that caused hum to miss a shift or two shaking the cobwebs out.

So many run-on sentences and simple mess ups that should be easily fixed with just a single review.

Anyway, I'll stop so this subject stays on topic. The write-up achieved its goal in trying to explain who had good days and who did not, but the format left a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
My thoughts on scrimmage, drove up with a couple of buddies, we pretty well agreed on these guys,having said that its on July,so lots can change.
Brassart was good. Nice size and decent skater, Des Moines bound, Brussiers same, skating looks better than last year, Finnish guy was just OK, Ollafsonwas very good,not NHLready but has potential,Phillips best player on ice nice to see him playing center for a change, Folin not far from being NHL ready, Lucia is bigger than I thought was OK, Gabriel same big and decent skater not the type of gamehe is going to excel in, really liked Dumba. Just my 2 cents.

El Nino 22

May 3, 2014
Minnesota
Holy **** did any one see the hit on Brooks Bertsch by Hunter Warner? Anyways later on today I'll post my opinions on some of the prospects.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I really don't see Phillips doing a heck of a lot. Pieces of that trade, outside Coyle, didn't amount to much. Phillips, I don't see him playing in the NHL. Setoguchi turned into a few games from Matt Moulson. Basically Burns for Coyle.

tomthestone*

I really don't see Phillips doing a heck of a lot. Pieces of that trade, outside Coyle, didn't amount to much. Phillips, I don't see him playing in the NHL. Setoguchi turned into a few games from Matt Moulson. Basically Burns for Coyle.

Plus, as you say, anything Phillips might provide at the NHL level would now be considered a bonus. I'll take that haul all day considering GMCF only parted with one year of Brent Burns -- before he was sure to ditch in favor of more money and a better short-term solution via free agency. The Moulson move was a solid gamble at the time, regardless of how the playoffs turned out.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

Ya Coyle was the biggest factor in that trade.

Billy Mays Here*

The HockeyBuzz writer is wrong though in saying they'll be playing at the Xcel on Monday under the new scoreboard. I recently spoke on the phone with a Wild employee last week about meeting to discuss future job opportunities (he graduated from Hamline last year where I attend now) and he told me the new scoreboard won't be going in til' around mid-August.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Plus, as you say, anything Phillips might provide at the NHL level would now be considered a bonus. I'll take that haul all day considering GMCF only parted with one year of Brent Burns -- before he was sure to ditch in favor of more money and a better short-term solution via free agency. The Moulson move was a solid gamble at the time, regardless of how the playoffs turned out.

Disagree! The kid had a Wild tattoo. I honstly think he'd have given us a more than fair shot at re-signing him to the same deal or better than he gave San Jose.

I do agree with the Moulson deal. It was a fair deal for a guy who had scored 30+ goals the last 2 seasons. He just didn't work that well here, unfortunately.

As for Phillips, Jarick, I think he's got room to grow. Don't get me wrong, I was actually chanting "Saad" and "Rattie" that draft, but Phillips was not a bad conciliation prize. That said, I was also chanting, and quote my friends on this, "Trouba" and "Forsberg" over their "Dumba" that day. So who knows?

Foxlockbox

:laugh: is my period
Mar 22, 2011
Finland
Disagree! The kid had a Wild tattoo. I honstly think he'd have given us a more than fair shot at re-signing him to the same deal or better than he gave San Jose.

I do agree with the Moulson deal. It was a fair deal for a guy who had scored 30+ goals the last 2 seasons. He just didn't work that well here, unfortunately.

As for Phillips, Jarick, I think he's got room to grow. Don't get me wrong, I was actually chanting "Saad" and "Rattie" that draft, but Phillips was not a bad conciliation prize. That said, I was also chanting, and quote my friends on this, "Trouba" and "Forsberg" over their "Dumba" that day. So who knows?

Jesus what if we would have gone for Saad though...

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
IIRC Saad slid pretty bad due to a perceived lack of worth ethic. Also I think Saad went to a perfect situation in Chicago, but yeah it be nice to have him now.

Quicy

Jun 24, 2012
IIRC Saad slid pretty bad due to a perceived lack of worth ethic. Also I think Saad went to a perfect situation in Chicago, but yeah it be nice to have him now.

Chicago passed on him 3 times before selecting him, so I don't think they expected him to turn out like he did either.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'll take that haul all day considering GMCF only parted with one year of Brent Burns -- before he was sure to ditch in favor of more money and a better short-term solution via free agency.

We don't know the terms for what Burns wanted. If we only got Coyle back for Burns, that is a terrible trade on Minnesota's end. We traded a highly mobile, physical defenseman that had top 3 potential (and still does) for a 3rd line grinder. That's like trading Brodin for Brandon Saad. I don't think anyone would do that trade. I was all for the trade (and still partly am, provided that Phillips develops but given Minnesota's latest track record, that looks kind of doubtful) but looking back, it's one of those trades that you wake up the next morning and go, what the hell did I do?

The Moulson move was a solid gamble at the time, regardless of how the playoffs turned out.

Moulson was fine - it wasn't a bad trade. Wasn't a great trade. But man Buffalo sure wrecked it. There are winners. And then were winners. And Buffalo won that trade by and far.

youvegotit

Dec 10, 2011
We don't know the terms for what Burns wanted. If we only got Coyle back for Burns, that is a terrible trade on Minnesota's end. We traded a highly mobile, physical defenseman that had top 3 potential (and still does) for a 3rd line grinder. That's like trading Brodin for Brandon Saad. I don't think anyone would do that trade. I was all for the trade (and still partly am, provided that Phillips develops but given Minnesota's latest track record, that looks kind of doubtful) but looking back, it's one of those trades that you wake up the next morning and go, what the hell did I do?

Moulson was fine - it wasn't a bad trade. Wasn't a great trade. But man Buffalo sure wrecked it. There are winners. And then were winners. And Buffalo won that trade by and far.

We got a couple years of Seto (which allowed a prospect to develop in the ahl instead of the NHL) and Seto helped us get Moulson who helped us make the playoffs this year. Most importantly Burns salary may have prevented us from signing Praise and Suter which cannot be overlooked...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We don't know the terms for what Burns wanted. If we only got Coyle back for Burns, that is a terrible trade on Minnesota's end. We traded a highly mobile, physical defenseman that had top 3 potential (and still does) for a 3rd line grinder. That's like trading Brodin for Brandon Saad. I don't think anyone would do that trade. I was all for the trade (and still partly am, provided that Phillips develops but given Minnesota's latest track record, that looks kind of doubtful) but looking back, it's one of those trades that you wake up the next morning and go, what the hell did

Coyle's potential is much higher than a 3rd line grinder.

tomthestone*

We got a couple years of Seto (which allowed a prospect to develop in the ahl instead of the NHL) and Seto helped us get Moulson who helped us make the playoffs this year. Most importantly Burns salary may have prevented us from signing Praise and Suter which cannot be overlooked...

Thank you. And regardless of term and figure, there was a good enough chance Burns was going to bolt somewhere closer to contending for a Cup that holding him through his UFA year would've been way too risky.

Even leaving Parise out of it, Suter doesn't end up here if Burns gets re-signed. That trade with SJ was a big-time move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad