Prospect Info: Wild Development Camp 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTenderness

¡VIVA EL NIÑO!
Jan 18, 2010
Minnesota
Found an interesting article from yesterday on development camp invite Alex "Not Erik" Gudbranson.

I like his attitude, at least. At 6'3" 225 with a right-handed shot and a mean streak he could turn out to be a decent physical depth d-man for us a few years down the road, if he can play (I have no idea if he can or not). I'm pulling for him to have a good couple days here and earn an invite to the big camp.

“I want to show them that I'm a puck-moving defenceman who's mean and tough,†said Gudbranson, whose aggressive, blue-collar style has made him a Greyhounds fan favourite. “I'm going to be very physical there. I want to open some eyes.â€

Link: Gudbranson weighs hockey options

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
Looking forward to tomorrows scrimmage, taking the day off to go watch. Excited to see Mitchell, Brassart, Dumba in particular as they are likely to end up with us in Des Moines. Happy to see Philips attend, under CBA only has to go to 3 of these camps, kid obviously is committed, only guy to play all 76 games for us last year, says a lot about his character, no nights off !
Folin and Olaffson(excuse spelling) we are sure to be drastically improved, Brussiers improved a lot as season progressed as well !

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Excerpt from Russo's blog on 1st day of dev camp:
I didn’t mention Gabriel as a roster hopeful in the article just because he may start in the minors to get development. But no doubt he could see games next season. “I’m not putting anything by this kid,†assistant GM Brent Flahr said. “He’s probably one of the most determined kids I’ve ever met. He knows he’s probably going to go down and play, but he’ll cause some havoc in exhibition games. He works so hard and he wants to get there. He’s got things to learn. He knows that, but second half you never know.â€

For me that's somewhere between surprising and shocking. Thought we drafted Gabriel a couple rounds too high and expected he would be at least a two year project in Iowa before he even had a shot at the roster.

The Folin - Dumba competition is going to be interesting.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Everyone who watches Gabriel play loves the kid. Everything he's done statistically has been completely forgettable. At some point in time, one or the other has to win out. You can't be amazing and put up mediocre numbers.

Unless he's the kind of player that the old time scouts love who passes the eye test but doesn't actually have a positive impact on the play. But we'll have to see him in the NHL for a while before we can judge that I suppose, because advanced stats aren't available in the minors.

tomthestone*

Excerpt from Russo's blog on 1st day of dev camp:
I didn’t mention Gabriel as a roster hopeful in the article just because he may start in the minors to get development. But no doubt he could see games next season. “I’m not putting anything by this kid,” assistant GM Brent Flahr said. “He’s probably one of the most determined kids I’ve ever met. He knows he’s probably going to go down and play, but he’ll cause some havoc in exhibition games. He works so hard and he wants to get there. He’s got things to learn. He knows that, but second half you never know.”

For me that's somewhere between surprising and shocking. Thought we drafted Gabriel a couple rounds too high and expected he would be at least a two year project in Iowa before he even had a shot at the roster.

The Folin - Dumba competition is going to be interesting.

I think Gabriel has the chance at an accelerated path to the NHL because he's huge and can throw bombs. He need not be as good at hockey (compared to other prospects) to provide value to the big club with those two attributes.

Flahr's comments suggest to me that if Gabriel can bang with NHL fighters, he'll be needed eventually.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
I think Gabriel has the chance at an accelerated path to the NHL because he's huge and can throw bombs. He need not be as good at hockey (compared to other prospects) to provide value to the big club with those two attributes.

Flahr's comments suggest to me that if Gabriel can bang with NHL fighters, he'll be needed eventually.

I've looked at Gabriel's fight card and ... well ... I don't think he's much of a fighter. If we're looking for him to drop the gloves the results (at the NHL level) might not be very good.

I see where he fought Alex Gudbranson twice in the post-season last year in the OHL. Lost em both; one decisively.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/15850
Gudbranson is also participating in our developmental camp.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Everyone who watches Gabriel play loves the kid. Everything he's done statistically has been completely forgettable. At some point in time, one or the other has to win out. You can't be amazing and put up mediocre numbers.

Unless he's the kind of player that the old time scouts love who passes the eye test but doesn't actually have a positive impact on the play. But we'll have to see him in the NHL for a while before we can judge that I suppose, because advanced stats aren't available in the minors.

That's weird. You'd think they'd want those stats for better player evaluation.

tomthestone*

I've looked at Gabriel's fight card and ... well ... I don't think he's much of a fighter. If we're looking for him to drop the gloves the results (at the NHL level) might not be very good.

I see where he fought Alex Gudbranson twice in the post-season last year in the OHL. Lost em both; one decisively.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/15850
Gudbranson is also participating in our developmental camp.

I'm no hockey fight expert, I'm just going off what I've heard of the kid and what he said in his radio interview during the Wild draft special. Either way, Gabriel would obviously be brought up as a physical presence on the fourth line -- not for his skating or stickhandling. Advanced stats don't do a lot of good measuring how well a nasty winger is doing at annoying the other team and taking them off their game.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Gabriel at least at this stage of his career in nowhere near NHL tough--hard worker, but Id take Bulmer 10 out of 10 times.

I do think Yeo will love him thou, jury is out to determine if that is worthy. I prefer skilled guys that are gritty,time will tell.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I'm no hockey fight expert, I'm just going off what I've heard of the kid and what he said in his radio interview during the Wild draft special. Either way, Gabriel would obviously be brought up as a physical presence on the fourth line -- not for his skating or stickhandling. Advanced stats don't do a lot of good measuring how well a nasty winger is doing at annoying the other team and taking them off their game.

Actually, they do. For example, if someone is able to take opposition off their game it would show in "goals against while on ice" or something, or in puck possession categories. While I'm no fancystats expert, I reckon you could see the impact a good pest/grinder has.

tomthestone*

Actually, they do. For example, if someone is able to take opposition off their game it would show in "goals against while on ice" or something, or in puck possession categories. While I'm no fancystats expert, I reckon you could see the impact a good pest/grinder has.

Maybe you could look at a spreadsheet and compare numbers -- or you could go to a game and see if the grinder in question throws his body around and facewashes a guy or three after the whistle. Pests are most effective without the puck. Let the Melvins adjust their glasses deciphering matrixes of stats for bottom-six guys around the league. All that number crunching can't evaluate a bone-crushing hit at a big moment versus lightly bumping a puck-carrier early in a 5-1 loss, or how the bench is affected after the grinder steps up for a teammate.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

extraskater just added as much stats as they could for juniors recently.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Without the Almond signing I'd say Gabriels chances were actually pretty okay. With the Almond signing he and Bulmer are competing with a more polished, more experienced guy that Yeo is familiar with. All depends on how they look in camp, or if they (Bulmer) get injured again. Poor kid.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Maybe you could look at a spreadsheet and compare numbers -- or you could go to a game and see if the grinder in question throws his body around and facewashes a guy or three after the whistle. Pests are most effective without the puck. Let the Melvins adjust their glasses deciphering matrixes of stats for bottom-six guys around the league. All that number crunching can't evaluate a bone-crushing hit at a big moment versus lightly bumping a puck-carrier early in a 5-1 loss, or how the bench is affected after the grinder steps up for a teammate.

Actually, they measure both.

1. Penalties drawn vs penalties taken.

2. Puck possession stats. Hits by definition only occur when the other team has the puck. So if a hit were effective, your team would obtain possession afterwards, and you'd see positive possession numbers overall. Maybe you could look at Corsi-Rel compared to Hits or something like that.

tomthestone*

Actually, they measure both.

1. Penalties drawn vs penalties taken.

2. Puck possession stats. Hits by definition only occur when the other team has the puck. So if a hit were effective, your team would obtain possession afterwards, and you'd see positive possession numbers overall. Maybe you could look at Corsi-Rel compared to Hits or something like that.

Or just watch.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
Anybody know if today's scrimmage is going to be streamed online?

Unlikely, haven't seen anything on twitter about a stream. It was fun listening to Falness do PBP last year though :biglaugh: wish I lived in the area I would totally drive 3 hours for these free scrimmages.

EDIT: I tweeted at the Wild and there will be a stream for the scrim at the X.

EDIT 2: this is posted on wild.com already.... #dummy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->