Prospect Info: Wild Development Camp 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
What I learned from watching the scrimmage is that we apparently have a lot of guys with the last name of Green and White in our development camp. Play-by-play guy was terrible.

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
Exhibition game,not a lot of contact to be expected. Concentrating on guys likely to see play pro this year--some guys in this type of scrimmage could look like 100 bucks, real game cant cut it. After watching 35 plus games last year of AHL kind of get a sense of who can cut it and who cant
Folin is not ready for NHL nor is Keranen(not close), IMO.
Dumba I liked, Phillips looks much quicker and Tuch in about 3 years will be good and Id sign Gubrandson. Gabriels puck skills are not good,he needs a lot of work, some quick small forwards, liked Iafallo and the swiss kid.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Exhibition game,not a lot of contact to be expected. Concentrating on guys likely to see play pro this year--some guys in this type of scrimmage could look like 100 bucks, real game cant cut it. After watching 35 plus games last year of AHL kind of get a sense of who can cut it and who cant
Folin is not ready for NHL nor is Keranen(not close), IMO.
Dumba I liked, Phillips looks much quicker and Tuch in about 3 years will be good and Id sign Gubrandson. Gabriels puck skills are not good,he needs a lot of work, some quick small forwards, liked Iafallo and the swiss kid.

There is not enough structure in these games for it to show who's really ready for NHL. For example players with great physical tools can dominate and you think he is easily NHL player but suddenly looks just lost in a real NHL game. Folin is much closer to NHL than Dumba.

Puckcrazy51

Feb 28, 2014
I agree with your point regarding structure, however respectfully disagree with regard to Dumba,he is not NHL ready nor is Folin, But I think Dumba in spite of his age is closer, his ability to skate is significant.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
There is not enough structure in these games for it to show who's really ready for NHL. For example players with great physical tools can dominate and you think he is easily NHL player but suddenly looks just lost in a real NHL game. Folin is much closer to NHL than Dumba.

I don't think either are NHL ready, and I think defensively speaking Folin may be a bit closer, but Dumba is ahead of him in every other category, ie skating, puck skills, possibly shot, etc.

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
It was really hard to keep track of who is who because the commentating was brutal and the quality of the livestream wasn't very sharp so I'm sure I missed seeing a few things from one person or another but here is what I picked up on the scrimmage.

Dumba looked good aside from a turnover or two. I liked the way he jumped into the play.
Duke potted a couple goals and looked pretty decent overall.
Keranen made a couple nice plays, made a nice pass to Gilmour for a goal.

Didn't really see Folin, Phillips, Gabriel or Tuch aside from his goal. It will be easier to judge these guys when they get their shots with the big club because I can already tell who is who and a new guy playing with them will stick out like a sore thumb.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Maybe i'm just expecting too much from Folin, maybe the praise GMCF gave is clouding my judgement but i think we will see Folin as number 6 defenseman opening game.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Keranen and Gabriel really stood out as forwards.

Phillips disappointed.

Folin was meh...but I'm not going to hold that against him, he wouldn't be the first NHL ready later to coast in one of these...we've seen both Granlund and Coyle both do so...

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Keranen and Gabriel really stood out as forwards.

Phillips disappointed.

Folin was meh...but I'm not going to hold that against him, he wouldn't be the first NHL ready later to coast in one of these...we've seen both Granlund and Coyle both do so...

LOL,think the exact opposite, plus Gardiner and Iafallo were very good plus 50 green,not sure who that was--Phillips(Zach) was 61 green, the ohter Phillips was 70 white,perhaps you got them mixed up

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
LOL,think the exact opposite, plus Gardiner and Iafallo were very good plus 50 green,not sure who that was--Phillips(Zach) was 61 green, the ohter Phillips was 70 white,perhaps you got them mixed up

Sorry, was well aware of which Phillips was which. My friends and I at the scrimmage kept referring to him as the only Phillips that matters, by the end of the scrimmage one of them said "at this rate there isn't one that matters"...

Also...too bad Lucia had to head back to Notre Dame...was hoping to he him play last night.

Last edited:

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Thoughts from the scrimmage:

Overall the pace and skill level was low, even for a prospect scrimmage. Seemed like all the kids were caught between trying to make a team play vs an individual play and ended up coughing up pucks or falling over (or both). I've been to a few of these now and this one ranks pretty low. IMO.

Tuch was one of the few forwards who looked good. Obviously his size helps him as he was barreling over other players, but he seemed to have a good nose for the net. If he keeps developing, he would make a good Coyle 2.0.

Olofsson was the clear standout on defense. He was able to skate with the puck, shake off forecheckers, make quick decisions, make good passes, had good size, just looked great to me.

Belpedio looked like a fourth forward. He was rushing the puck quite a bit. Skilled.

Gabriel reminded me of Gillies. Looked huge with good skating and an awesome shot in warmups, but then when the play started took a big nosedive. I can see how the scouts love him.

Kaponen was not looking good from the blocker side and covering up pucks. Rusty?

Other than that, nobody really stood out. And that includes guys like Dumba, Folin, Phillips, Bussieres, etc.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Thoughts from the scrimmage:

Overall the pace and skill level was low, even for a prospect scrimmage. Seemed like all the kids were caught between trying to make a team play vs an individual play and ended up coughing up pucks or falling over (or both). I've been to a few of these now and this one ranks pretty low. IMO.

Tuch was one of the few forwards who looked good. Obviously his size helps him as he was barreling over other players, but he seemed to have a good nose for the net. If he keeps developing, he would make a good Coyle 2.0.

Olofsson was the clear standout on defense. He was able to skate with the puck, shake off forecheckers, make quick decisions, make good passes, had good size, just looked great to me.

Belpedio looked like a fourth forward. He was rushing the puck quite a bit. Skilled.

Gabriel reminded me of Gillies. Looked huge with good skating and an awesome shot in warmups, but then when

the play started took a big nosedive. I can see how the scouts love him.

Kaponen was not looking good from the blocker side and covering up pucks. Rusty?

Other than that, nobody really stood out. And that includes guys like Dumba, Folin, Phillips, Bussieres,
etc.

It's July and they have been put through workouts all week. So I don't think many were as good as they could be.

Last edited:

AngryManBearPig

Sep 1, 2011
Minnesnowta
Went to both scrimmages. Overall i would say Dumba stood out quite a bit, would i say he played the best no. however, i would say that he has by far the most skill and tools (mainly speed) in our prospect pool but that should be expected from a top pick. He has an incredible ability to lead the rush and then turn around and get back on D. His ceiling is incredible. Could he bust sure. But he could also be great, the more i watch him the more i lean this way. Glad they took that risk....especially with the development of guys like Gustav, Soucy, and the signing of Folin and Gelinas.

The forward group was pretty weak overall. Tuch is a big kid already and is only going to get bigger and be more difficult to handle in front of the net. Buss is a monster on the boards. And is a very physical player as well. Phillips really did not look all that great in either game. Kernan looked lost.

I could go on and on about it. But overall I think the player that stood out the most from an eye point of view was Dumba. The player that played the best overall was Gelinas. He will be a great fit in Iowa. And of the invites....I dont know if I would bother with any of them...especially Gubrandson guy was a turn over machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->