Post-Game Talk: Wild beat Leafs 4-3 in shootout

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Joey Anderson didn't look very good in his early shifts and from that point Keefe kept him off the ice. Too bad, I was hoping for more from him. Is there another option from the Marlies? Seney seems to be a very energetic little player. Maybe he's a better choice.

To be honest, I didn't even know he played. He only got 3:50ish of ice time.

Ho-Sang is probably NHL caliber but idk if we could send him back down if we sign him. I'm guessing they just ride it out since Mikheyev is coming back soon. It might be early with Steeves, but he has been impressive.

Reactions: fahad203

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I thought it was a good game to watch.

Thought the Leafs battled back and that's all you can hope for on the road. I really thought that the game could have got away from them, but they kept with it.

The defense knows how bad it played and I don't think there's anything else to say. They clean up that mess and they'll look better.

Agree with everyone saying that Holl hasn't looked good for a stretch here. When he was at his best last year, I felt like he was carrying the puck a lot more. He seems to be fighting even handling the puck at this point.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Really fun game to watch (saw most of the second, third and OT) from a fan's standpoint, but I have a feeling that Keith will want to tone that right down before their next game.

Refs definitely had a say on the outcome here unfortunately ....

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
great teams hate shit players playin, and better players sittin...

Great comeback, but the experiment with a soon to be broke echler, has to end...

Great teams are finely tuned, u dress a goof, instead of a better player..

Well u see your best goaltender running for the best contract...

I am watching Hell like a hawk, he is close, to echl now..

He made his ncaa dough, but dubes, sit this shit pile down and dress sandins best friend.

Incredible effort by the team to tough out a victory with shit pile in our lineup...

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Dubas, Shanahan, Keefe got away with this imbecilic insert and substitution, but...

Sit this bum down...

Took him a year, to get a haircut, its time for him to be displayed in a lower league...

Reactions: Oscar Peterson

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
How was he even allowed to stay in the game after jumping off the bench for a fight? The guy is a menace.
The refs pick and choose what they call, even blatant ones. Was what Foligno did tonight much different the what we saw David Clarkson do years ago? This seems like about as easy of a call as delay of game. The officials somehow miss that call and him Tony Jaa'ing our goalie. Why is it that the media can't interview these guys? There's zero accountability. I'd love to hear the explanation on both non-calls. Again, why is it all of us are held accountable in our jobs, and these guys are allowed to go on their merry way.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Bit of a nonsensical game. Very odd bounces leading to the Minney goals. Very hard work for the Leafs to get them back.

Officiating was as bad as we have seen this season. Running the goalie should be automatic... I thought it was. Foligno hopefully gets fed his teeth on Feb 24 in Toronto.

Holl is soooo bad. How could he go from decent to horrible in the span of 30 games? Muzzin isn't much better. Liked everyone elses effort, they played an honest game and lost in something that should not exist.

Mar 26, 2010
The reffing in this game was a disgrace. They couldn’t have tried harder even if they wanted to to hand Minnesota that game.

Lost in the skills comp. Sucks to lose but at least we got a point with everything against us.
That was the most 1 sided reffing against the Leafs I have seen this season, it was brutal. That being said, the Leafs played like garbage from the first face off. Campbell was not great either tonight.

Also, anytime the Leafs go to a shoot out, it is a guaranteed loss. They lose every time. Hopefully this loss does not derail the winning ways and start a big losing streak. I do expect them to get blown out by Winnipeg next game though.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The refs pick and choose what they call, even blatant ones. Was what Foligno did tonight much different the what we saw David Clarkson do years ago? This seems like about as easy of a call as delay of game. The officials somehow miss that call and him Tony Jaa'ing our goalie. Why is it that the media can't interview these guys? There's zero accountability. I'd love to hear the explanation on both non-calls. Again, why is it all of us are held accountable in our jobs, and these guys are allowed to go on their merry way.

Time and again these refs feel like it’s part of their job portfolio to manage the flow of a game and seemingly the outcome as well. I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t have an off ice “eye in the sky” who would be able to make these assessments as the overseer. If a guy on the ice misses a call, no problem. Someone high up with access to the broadcast talking points and missed calls can easily straighten things out.

Better yet, have both an in game referee manager in the press box and two team officials with the ability to voice concerns in real time.

Mar 26, 2010
Bit of a nonsensical game. Very odd bounces leading to the Minney goals. Very hard work for the Leafs to get them back.

Officiating was as bad as we have seen this season. Running the goalie should be automatic... I thought it was. Foligno hopefully gets fed his teeth on Feb 24 in Toronto.
Yup, want to see Simmonds KO him. That is complete BS…running Jack like that and direct contact was the head! How is Foligno not getting suspended? WTF. It is going to have to be addressed next game vs the Wild.

Last edited:
Reactions: wingman75

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Team is playing well, good come back to at least get a point. Leafs could have went quietly but didn't.

Loved the Wayne fight, Matthews gets reversed hit and Bunting and Simmonds are having none of it. Wished someone would have cleaned Foligno clock for running Campbell like that.

Reactions: 34

Mar 26, 2010
Team is playing well, good come back to at least get a point. Leafs could have went quietly but didn't.

Loved the Wayne fight, Matthews gets reversed hit and Bunting and Simmonds are having none of it. Wished someone would have cleaned Foligno clock for running Campbell like that.
Foligno better be ready when he comes to Toronto in feb. the boys won’t forget what he did.

Reactions: glue

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
We definitely miss Marner. It's not surprising, because we pay him 11M, but without Marner our depth takes a huge hit.

Proud of the boys for fighting back from a 3-0 deficit but thought the team played poorly overall. Great game from Spezza and I thought Matthews played very well too.

The Wild looked really good. I saw them live in Seattle earlier this season and they definitely didn't look quite this good.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
I laugh at the pinheads who said Jack had a bad game. HUH? All 3 Minny goals were BS luck. Perfect rebound bounce off a post...another shanked off Holls skate...and the 3rd off the f***in' ref. But dude held the fort after all that only to lose the skills competition. Anybody who thinks he wasn't our best player (next to Vintage)? Give yer head a shake FFS.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Time and again these refs feel like it’s part of their job portfolio to manage the flow of a game and seemingly the outcome as well. I just don’t understand why they wouldn’t have an off ice “eye in the sky” who would be able to make these assessments as the overseer. If a guy on the ice misses a call, no problem. Someone high up with access to the broadcast talking points and missed calls can easily straighten things out.

Better yet, have both an in game referee manager in the press box and two team officials with the ability to voice concerns in real time.

I'd say it feels like it's their job because it likely is. League wants it this way unfortunately, if they wanted the game to be called fairly and by the book it would've happened already. "Keep the games close" is definitely a goal of the refs. This parity above all else is ruining this league. The cap, points system, and reffing, all in cahoots to keep games and seasons as artificially close as possible. The only part of the game that isn't formatted like this is the stupid divisional playoff format. Leafs have suffered it in the past but the most egregious has to be Columbus being forced to face Pittsburgh in the 1st round when each team was ranked 4th and 2nd overall in the league in 2017. Hell in 2016 3rd overall St. Louis had to face 5th overall Chicago, and that same year 7th place Florida as a reward for winning the Atlantic got to face the 10th place Islanders, while the 12th place Lightning got to square off against the 15th place Red Wings. Extremely normal and fair playoff system.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pi

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I’d say the two challenging games we had this week went well. We dominated the first one and tied the second (shootout doesn’t count). The Leafs look really solid right now

On to Winnipeg, they’re rested and we’re playing a B2B on the road so it’ll be a tough one.

Reactions: hoglund

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Good opponent, played a solid game, slightly outplayed Minny but calls and bounces went against us. It happens. Got a point at least, on to the next!

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Hard to be too upset about this one.

Wild getting all the puck luck in the world to take the lead.

Leafs not giving up and battling back to get the point, despite the best efforts of the refs.

Shootouts are still dumb.

Go Leafs Go!
I kinda consider this one a win. Brutal puck luck early, brutal refs, yet they stayed the course. If Mitchie is out tonite. Maybe try Spez with 34. Spez is awesome. Gotta get me a 19.

Reactions: bikemike66

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Great effort to come back and get a point in this one after being down 3-0. Sucks to lose a game we probably deserved to win but at least a point is better than nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad