Confirmed with Link: Wideman traded to EDM for 6th round pick

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
They won't be mentoring. They will get the tough assignments while our younger defense can learn from the coaches against less skilled players. Instead of being thrown to the wolves where they develop bad habits.

Maybe Ceci and Boro play and the coach says "ok kids im going to show you exactly what NOT to do, just watch these guys and make sure you do the exact opposite"

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Obviously none but it's up to Dorion to set the price and stick to it

So after Jaros has clearly taken the Job away from Wideman, PD is supposed to sit Wideman, and hope someone offers more than a 6th?

Any astute observer would have seen that Jaros has pushed his way into the top seven, and with Harpur ready to come back as soon as tonight, PD, who has been shopping Wideman around for a while, knew what Wideman would bring back in a trade ...... and it was a 6th round pick.

How would waiting increase that value?

Wideman is an impending UFA, and was going to be moved before the TDL, and the more a team has him for the remainder of the season, the more he would be worth, imo.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It's not like Wideman wasn't a completely disposable asset. I'd rather see if Harpur can turn it around and become "rookie season/playoff run" Harpur than play out the final year of Wideman's deal. I think this move almost guarantees Wolanin finishes the year here too, which will be nice to see.

Wolanin is, at this time, the 8th dman on the depth chart, that is unless you have him ahead of one of the current 7 dmen on the Senators roster.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think Wideman went to management and asked to be traded. I think the writing was on the wall and at that point, what is Chris going to do or say? Saying it was mutual is code for, Chris, we're going in a different direction.
Agreed. Wideman is a UFA & Ottawa has plenty of young defencemen to replace him at slightly cheaper salaries. He has shown that he is a depth defenceman at best with some offence but not enough to usurp anyone else & can only play control minutes. IMO his time was up here with the better younger players coming & it was just a matter of time before he was moved.

I have the exact same opinion of Pyatt & Paajarvi, who are also UFAs & Ottawa has better, younger players coming. It is just a matter of time with them as well & I'm quite sure that as soon as PD gets any bites on those two they will both be gone as well. If no one does want them then I assume they will be allowed to walk at the end of the season & should not be re-signed. IMO it's all part of the rebuild, out with the old & in with the new.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It should be interesting to see what happens with Wolanin since I agree he seems to be at the moment anyway behind Harpur who is on a one way contract & Jaros who while making some mistakes is playing well. IMO it may be next yr when Boro will be in the last yr of his contract whether at some point he is moved & Wolanin brought up as the 7th D. Then again the way Boro is getting hurt all the time he could be coming & going all yr.

IMO Wolanin is slightly better than Lajoie offensively but Lajoie is slightly better defensively, it will be interesting if they keep both these players or trade one in a package to upgrade somewhere else. Ottawa has three very good left shot D although young & inexperienced.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So apparently we have some injuries and actually kinda need wideman lmao. Or any extra d man

We are in serious trouble of being a man short tonight.... dorion is truly something else.

Reactions: Sens

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So apparently we have some injuries and actually kinda need wideman lmao. Or any extra d man

We are in serious trouble of being a man short tonight.... dorion is truly something else.
We are carrying 22 without Wideman, who knew 3 guys would come up lame in practice.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
When he didn't apologize for the uber incident and Colin White did (who said nothing in the video btw) the writing was on the wall.
Glad he is gone. He is a tiny plug. Enjoy Europe next year.

Here’s an exert from this link:
Senators' Chris Wideman, Thomas Chabot issue apologies for Uber video - Sportsnet.ca

“From the bottom of my heart, expressing my apologies to Marty Raymond for my role and for what happened that night,” Wideman told reporters. “What was said was definitely not how we feel about him as a person and as our coach. We were carried away and it was unacceptable. That’s really all I can say about it.”

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
They didn’t all come up lame in practice. They have nagging injuries that the staff knows about lol.

Sometimes you have to make the deal when the deal is offered, not wait a few days and hope Wides doesn't get injured as well.

Guys all have varying degrees of nagging injuries by this point in the season, not being able to go means that something has been tweaked and gotten worse, at least in the short term.

No point trying to manufacture a PD issue. Can you imagine if it turned out the oilers went in a different direction while we held on to Widman 'just in case' three guys went down in practice?

You take the 6th over a single game with a shorter bench in my opinion, and that's knowing the guys would be out.

asw

Mar 16, 2013
Here and There
Opens a spot for Harpur, that's all its doing. We already have 2 black holes on defense with Ceci and Boro, why not add a third.

Jaros is a far better defenceman than Harpur who doesn't use his size, is quite slow and has little hockey sense. He's shown that for a couple of years now. Jaros is relatively fast (according to Boucher he's the second fastest skater on the team), hits people when needed, can make very good outlet passes and has much greater potential than Harpur.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah I'm hoping for a continuation of Jaros and Chabot & Lajoie DeMelo. Those are two young pairings for the future. Ceci and Boro can get shelled all night every night until they are replaced in the lineup. Keep the guys together who will be playing together in hopes that they build chemistry and predictability with each other.

Wolainin will eventually be up, and then it's a matter of who his partner will be, with Boro as 7th until his contract runs out. We can run a top D line and then 2 other top for-ish lines like we do on offence. Get the kids ice time and see how deep we can make this team.

If we're not going tall we need to go wide.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
So after Jaros has clearly taken the Job away from Wideman, PD is supposed to sit Wideman, and hope someone offers more than a 6th?

Any astute observer would have seen that Jaros has pushed his way into the top seven, and with Harpur ready to come back as soon as tonight, PD, who has been shopping Wideman around for a while, knew what Wideman would bring back in a trade ...... and it was a 6th round pick.

How would waiting increase that value?

Wideman is an impending UFA, and was going to be moved before the TDL, and the more a team has him for the remainder of the season, the more he would be worth, imo.
There were other offers one of the sportswriters said but Ottawa did not want to take a salary.

Reactions: Acidrain66

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Jaros is a far better defenceman than Harpur who doesn't use his size, is quite slow and has little hockey sense. He's shown that for a couple of years now. Jaros is relatively fast (according to Boucher he's the second fastest skater on the team), hits people when needed, can make very good outlet passes and has much greater potential than Harpur.
So why did Harpur get a oneway deal? I guess they felt he was going to be a long term project like Ceci?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I would like to have Freddie and Wideman back. especially now.

Just more of the same. He was going to be a UFA and , honestly, he just can't skate. He never recovered and can't keep up. He probably won't for another month or two. Wish him the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad