Confirmed with Link: Wideman traded to EDM for 6th round pick

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Actually. Imagine having less than zero hope in a hockey organization and having to suit up for 82 games giving it your all because you could be on the chopping block come off-season. I am hoping that he is happy in Edmonton because Edmonton is a team with potential.

Im not sure why you keep going on with this. Wideman is not the same player as before; he makes Brendan Bell look like a Norris candidate.

So who cares about Wideman anymore? He was a nice short term player to have but that term has already passed; as it is the case with many players who flirt or flirted with the NHL. Not all players have long NHL careers

Edmonton doesn’t have potential. I’ll take the Sens without any hesitation; if that ownership problem can get fixed, this team will rise very fast

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He should get another deal somewhere ,and he may bounce back into being a decent bottom pairing PMD ...But that is all he will be ever,we wont miss him

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
So who cares about Wideman anymore? He was a nice short term player to have but that term has already passed; as it is the case with many players who flirt or flirted with the NHL. Not all players have long NHL careers

See also Jared Cowen, Patrick Wiercioch.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Edmonton has a chance of making the playoffs, so looks like Europe will have to wait.

He's been a healthy scratch for 5 of the 7 games Edmonton has played since the trade, and the last game he dressed for he only played 6 mins.

I get that you like this guy, but the writing is on the wall for him at this point.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
He's been a healthy scratch for 5 of the 7 games Edmonton has played since the trade, and the last game he dressed for he only played 6 mins.

I get that you like this guy, but the writing is on the wall for him at this point.
Seems like he really doesn't have a chance. and your point is valid. Edmonton was maybe a way for PD to dispose of him. Something to be said for Boucher getting rid of players he does not like.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Wideman isn't really good and the reason he isn't playing is cause he isn't a hitchcock player. Wideman joined the oilers right before they hired Hitch so the old coach probably wanted wideman and hitchcock doesn't seem to want him

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I have a hard time seeing someone giving him a 1-way contract anywhere in the NHL this coming off-season, that's for sure.

His best hope at this point is to put in a ton of work in the offseason, get a 2-way deal or a PTO, and hope to play himself onto a team somewhere.

Alternatively, his style of game is literally perfect for the Swiss League. He could probably extend his career by a decade if he decided to hunker down in a place like Fribourg and just commit to it.

I was surprised Dorion gave him a one year deal for this season.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Wideman isn't really good and the reason he isn't playing is cause he isn't a hitchcock player. Wideman joined the oilers right before they hired Hitch so the old coach probably wanted wideman and hitchcock doesn't seem to want him
Chiarelli is the one that traded for him. And if he knew McLellen was on the hot seat why would he trade for a guy he wanted and then fire him? I think Edmonton wanted him because they could use some help on the backend moving the puck and on the PP but I don’t think Wideman was the right guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad