Confirmed with Link: Wideman traded to EDM for 6th round pick

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Wideman is clearly not the player he was prior injury. That’s why it’s perplexing reading some posts suggesting it was not the best idea to get rid of Wideman? Him and Pyatt were by far the 2 worst players on the team (with Boro being close)

To be able to play at the NHL level you need to be at your best, injuries will affect marginal players more than others in the sense that they don’t have a lot of margin for being NHL level or not. Unless Wideman recovers and bounce back in the near future, he’ll be out of the NHL very soon

Same for Pyatt, he was more efficient the last 2 years but it seems that he fell off a cliff this year. Marginal and depth players don’t have a long shelf life like career NHLers

Last edited:

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Wideman is clearly not the player he was prior injury. That’s why it’s perplexing reading some posts suggesting it was not the best idea to get rid of Wideman? Him and Wideman were by far the 2 worst players on the team (with Boro being close)

To be able to play at the NHL level you need to be at your best, injuries will affect marginal players more than others in the sense that they don’t have a lot of margin for being NHL level or not. Unless Wideman recovers and bounce back in the near future, he’ll be out of the NHL very soon

Same for Pyatt, he was more efficient the last 2 years but it seems that he fell off a cliff this year. Marginal and depth players don’t have a long shelf life like career NHLers
I think any other player with an injury that he suffered would need at least a year of playing to get back to full speed. So I at this point would not lump him in the Boro category. I think Harpurs back issues to be honest at his age are more of a concern. He seems to really struggle out there. Maybe the next games will be better.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
And Sens Twitter losing their minds over the trade. Not bad for a hockey player with one leg!
Love the people who constantly complain about "Sens Twitter", but continue to follow "Sens twitter".

Here are some very similar d-men who were traded in and around the deadline last year and what their return, all three have been arguably worse than Wideman or similar to Wideman and all returned a better draft pick. Tell me now that Dorion couldn't have done better than a 6th round pick NEXT YEAR..

Joe Morrow - 4th round pick (18 games played) 0 points
Brandon Davidson - 3rd round pick (7 games played) 1 point
Jakub Jerabek - 5th round pick (1 game played) 0 points

Last edited:
Reactions: JonnyMacSen

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Love the people who constantly complain about "Sens Twitter", but continue to follow "Sens twitter".

Here are some very similar d-men who were traded in and around the deadline last year and what their return, all three have been arguably worse than Wideman or similar to Wideman and all returned a better draft pick. Tell me now that Dorion couldn't have done better than a 6th round pick NEXT YEAR..

Jerabek was moved for the exact pick we got for Wideman, so he didn't get moved for more.

Reactions: BonkTastic

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Jerabek was moved for the exact pick we got for Wideman, so he didn't get moved for more.
Thank you for helping correct me and aid further in proving my point. Jerabek has played the majority of the season in the AHL, Wideman has not. We should have gotten a better return for Wideman.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

You can't escape Sens Twitter, people retweet the garbage of the girl on 1200 and a bunch of other ambulance chasers.

The difference is all those defencemen have two working legs.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Thank you for helping correct me and aid further in proving my point. Jerabek has played the majority of the season in the AHL, Wideman has not. We should have gotten a better return for Wideman.

Wideman has played like an AHL defender all season though. Peak Wideman certainly returns more than Morrow/Jerabek, ect...but the AHL caliber, one legged version that we have this year went for close to fair value, imo.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Wideman has played like an AHL defender all season though. Peak Wideman certainly returns more than Morrow/Jerabek, ect...but the AHL caliber, one legged version that we have this year went for close to fair value, imo.
Then what was the rush? Why not give Wideman a chance to return to "peak-Wideman" or something close. Again, I don't care that we traded him, the bigger problem is that we traded him when his value was at its lowest. You invested 6 years in an asset and you basically give him away for free.

Reactions: lancepitlick

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Then what was the rush? Why not give Wideman a chance to return to "peak-Wideman" or something close. Again, I don't care that we traded him, the bigger problem is that we traded him when his value was at its lowest. You invested 6 years in an asset and you basically give him away for free.

The rush is that we have 3 RHD and 7 total D better than him and he's gone at the end of the season. The guys that are part of the teams plan need to play. Dorion obviously wanted to open up a spot on the roster and didn't think Wideman's value was going to go up all that much (if at all). If Wideman was moved to give Jaros a full-time spot I would honestly have been okay with waiving the guy, he's been that bad. And the difference between getting a 6th now or a 5th later isn't worth this guy taking minutes away from the kids.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The rush is that we have 3 RHD and 7 total D better than him and he's gone at the end of the season. The guys that are part of the teams plan need to play. Dorion obviously wanted to open up a spot on the roster and didn't think Wideman's value was going to go up all that much (if at all). If Wideman was moved to give Jaros a full-time spot I would honestly have been okay with waiving the guy, he's been that bad. And the difference between getting a 6th now or a 5th later isn't worth this guy taking minutes away from the kids.
We can agree to disagree, this really isn't an argument that deserves this much attention, just pointing out the fact that we should have gotten more.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
We can agree to disagree, this really isn't an argument that deserves this much attention, just pointing out the fact that we should have gotten more.
How much would you give up for:
- a 7th dman who cannot play defense
- has a one way, expiring contract
- had a significant injury and has looked terrible since being back
- has gone on video shit talking his coach

If you'd give up more than a 6th for that, I don't know what to tell you.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, we got a free 6th for 1/6th of Widemans salary (could have let him walk for nothing this summer).

Nothing ground breaking, but definitely better than Wideman at this point in time for the Sens.

A nothing trade that can certainly pay off in spades down the road

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
How much would you give up for:
- a 7th dman who cannot play defense
- has a one way, expiring contract
- had a significant injury and has looked terrible since being back
- has gone on video **** talking his coach

If you'd give up more than a 6th for that, I don't know what to tell you.
I gave you two guys that were traded for more last year at the deadline. I am not 100% sure that they were upcoming UFAs or not but the definitely were 7th dmen that did not provide nearly the amount of offence that Wides provides and their respective GMs were able to get better than a 6th round pick.

Look this is really a minor minor move and I am just pointing out that trading a guy at his lowest value is not necessarily the best decision. I understand if you disagree

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I gave you two guys that were traded for more last year at the deadline. I am not 100% sure that they were upcoming UFAs or not but the definitely were 7th dmen that did not provide nearly the amount of offence that Wides provides and their respective GMs were able to get better than a 6th round pick.

Look this is really a minor minor move and I am just pointing out that trading a guy at his lowest value is not necessarily the best decision. I understand if you disagree

Different situations though. Trade deadline you have a number of teams looking to add depth. In this case Ottawa was trying to unload an 8th defensemen with a rather limited market I’m guessing. Sure you can wait till the trade deadline but you’d have 2 D sitting on most nights and it would further block Wolanin, with the emergence of Lajoie and Jaros it wasn’t ideal to hold on to Wideman.

Reactions: Kekumba

ThreePosts

Jun 21, 2018
Sixth round is our sweet spot and clearly key to the rebuild...I'd rather give up Wides for a 6th than another 5th, so I guess I'm "happy."

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Morrow is a better player than Wideman. Not gonna touch that one.

Davidson was a terrible trade by NYI, I'll grant you that.

As for Jerabek... that is literally the pick that we acquired for Wideman. Jerabek was traded for a conditional 2020 6th that becomes a 5th if Jerabek plays 50 games this season. We received St. Louis' 2020 6th rounder for Wideman. If Jerabek plays 50 games for St. Louis, we get their 5th rounder instead of their 6th.

Maybe we could have gotten a slightly better pick if we held onto the press-box-occupying-asshat Chris Wideman until the deadline, but I doubt it. He had no future with us and all he was doing was taking up a roster spot.

Reactions: BonkTastic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad