Confirmed with Link: Wideman traded to EDM for 6th round pick

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I think Boro and Ceci deserve each other.. I'd give Lajoie and Harpur a try.
let boro and ceci get obliterated by other teams top lines... no point in splitting them up and making 2 bad pairs.. whatever pairing ceci is on is going to get killed by top 6 lines... whatever pair boro is on is going to get killed by ANY line. put them together let them make the sacrifice so that other players can play well.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
also I never want to hear about us "showcasing" players... we were trying to trade wideman and he was riding bench lmao... when this coaching staff is overplaying a bad player.. its because they think hes good, not because of some showcase.

Reactions: Alex1234

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Clearing a roster spot for a waiver claim? (Dano)

How many more chances is Dano going to get to prove he's a player at this level?

Kid only got 8 games before the Avs decided he wasn't worth it. Dude's been given away for free twice now in less than 2 months.

He had some good hype coming into the league, but there has been almost no follow-up in his game since then.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
let boro and ceci get obliterated by other teams top lines... no point in splitting them up and making 2 bad pairs.. whatever pairing ceci is on is going to get killed by top 6 lines... whatever pair boro is on is going to get killed by ANY line. put them together let them make the sacrifice so that other players can play well.

The Edmonton Oilers strategy of playing only rookies to great success. I wonder how well it would work for us.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
6th D that can run a 2nd unit PP. Not strong defensively. Skating seems to have slowed some since his massive hamstring injury last year; that could recover; its average. His shot has average velocity; decent accuracy. He can head man the puck well. Puck retrieval is not the best.

Can you take Paajarvi back?
He will be in SEL where he belongs. No heart
Ottawa is playing good considering the bs surrounding the team. Hopefully they get that arena stuff straightened out.
I wonder if you could turn back time, would they help Melnyk that time when he was sick?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The Edmonton Oilers strategy of playing only rookies to great success. I wonder how well it would work for us.
the problem with Edmonton has always been really good young players with absolute shit veterans supporting them lol...

also.. my scenario seems to state we should keep boro and ceci.. not trade them

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ceci and Boro have been dead weight for a lot longer than Wideman.
But Wideman was the deadest of weight. If we get a vote I’ll go with Ceci at the draft and Boro as 7 D behind Wolanin next year. Need to keep him around for his fireside chats.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
If you are going to surround the kids with Boro Ceci or Pyatt...
Would rather play the kids at this point

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If you are going to surround the kids with Boro Ceci or Pyatt...
Would rather play the kids at this point

They won't be mentoring. They will get the tough assignments while our younger defense can learn from the coaches against less skilled players. Instead of being thrown to the wolves where they develop bad habits.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A 6th? Wow Dorion is just plain bad at making trades. Lol

He traded an impending UFA for what the market would offer .............. what would you have him do, hold on to him until someone offered a 5th?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He will be in SEL where he belongs. No heart
Ottawa is playing good considering the bs surrounding the team. Hopefully they get that arena stuff straightened out.
I wonder if you could turn back time, would they help Melnyk that time when he was sick?

FYI the SEL changed to the SHL in 2013

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Good for Wideman and opens up a spot for a young guy or some combo of 2 sharing the spot on an opponent basis. I was glad they re-signed him after he was injured but he's been passed on the depth chart and with so many young D in waiting (video aside) he wasn't going to be here long term so it's time to move on. They might have got a bit more at the deadline but really who knows. A 6th is a bird in the hand....

I expect Wideman to do better in EDM especially if he gets 1st rep pp time so won't look back if it happens.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Hearing his comments to Edmonton media I guess we know who made the trade request.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow real asset management for the second time this season. Seems like Pierre is finally starting to get it. Good trade, Wideman is really going to help Edmonton they literally have no D to run that pp.

Hearing his comments to Edmonton media I guess we know who made the trade request.

He is going to be out of the league next year, so I guess a last ditch effort to save his job in the NHL was a trade request. But he does appear to have a terrible attitude and honestly was brutal this season so I am glad he is gone.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He traded an impending UFA for what the market would offer .............. what would you have him do, hold on to him until someone offered a 5th?
Yep, but we know the big broke guy who pays the bills (or doesn't actually pay the bills) wasn't going to pay to have 8 d-men on the roster.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Opens a spot for Harpur, that's all its doing. We already have 2 black holes on defense with Ceci and Boro, why not add a third.

It's not like Wideman wasn't a completely disposable asset. I'd rather see if Harpur can turn it around and become "rookie season/playoff run" Harpur than play out the final year of Wideman's deal. I think this move almost guarantees Wolanin finishes the year here too, which will be nice to see.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Opens a spot for Harpur, that's all its doing. We already have 2 black holes on defense with Ceci and Boro, why not add a third.
I assume Wideman asked to be traded since he called the move a mutual decision.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I'll be surprised if he is still in the league next season.

I agree. Hitchcock as coach of all people. He won't stick with a small D man, especially when he's asking his forwards, including McDavid to come back in the defensive end. Hitch wants people who hit and can play physical. Ottawa was Wideman's best chance to play, I think he'll be bouncing back up and down with the AHL from here on out. Nothing more than a depth guy now.

Reactions: aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree. Hitchcock as coach of all people. He won't stick with a small D man, especially when he's asking his forwards, including McDavid to come back in the defensive end. Hitch wants people who hit and can play physical. Ottawa was Wideman's best chance to play, I think he'll be bouncing back up and down with the AHL from here on out. Nothing more than a depth guy now.

With all the rule changes and the switch to an all speed game it actually hurt him more than it helped him. He cant pivot and defend against elite speed and was getting beat in the corners and down low by faster players. He actually faired better against big guys I found. I agree he will be out of the league and likely to the KHL next season where I think he would fit in very well to that game. The bigger ice will help him defend as he is pretty solid positionally.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I assume Wideman asked to be traded since he called the move a mutual decision.

I don't think Wideman went to management and asked to be traded. I think the writing was on the wall and at that point, what is Chris going to do or say? Saying it was mutual is code for, Chris, we're going in a different direction.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Pick becomes a 5th if Jerabek plays 50 games for the Blues this season! 49 more games lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad