Why trading Malkin might be beneficial for the Penguins

LGP89

Feb 15, 2012
Brb making thread "why trading Malkin might not be beneficial for the Penguins"

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
How about keep Malkin and hope the injury bug takes a vacation.

Pens did reasonably OK against one of the top teams with a decimated blueline and Malkin playing hurt.

They could very well have been in the Cup hunt otherwise.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Blues would be very interested. 2 clubs that need a shakeup. Pittsburgh needs better quality depth...and STL needs a superstar alongside Tarasenko.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think it would be as crazy as Pens fans make it out to be.

Even if they bring in a new, better drafting regime, it will still be four years before they see fruits of their labour. Crosby will be 31. It's the surest way, but also means they have basically zero chance at a Cup until they have enough contributing ELC players.

If they trade Malkin for a several blue chip young players and picks, they have a shot as early as next year with a better coach.

I think Seth Jones, Fiala and maybe Fisher (plus cap space) would make them better as soon as next year. Not as stacked on paper, but more well rounded. Depth is almost more important than star power today. And Pens have so little.

Oleg Petrov

Jun 15, 2008
Blues would be very interested. 2 clubs that need a shakeup. Pittsburgh needs better quality depth...and STL needs a superstar alongside Tarasenko.

Was just coming here to post this.

Would something like:

Bouwmeester
Berglund
Elliott
Jaskin

Work?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They should deal him before ehe loses even more value. He clearly isn't the player he was in 2007-2012 and another bad season will make his value drop. Its best to move him now.

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada
Malkin needs to be traded IMHO. First off Jim Rutherford lied to him saying they were going to take care of him getting a winger, which they didn't. He never got time to develop with Hornqvist before he was jerked off his line and given to Crosby and Perron only started playing with him with 2-3 games left in the season. Perron was only given to him because he wasn't producing with Crosby so it's the same old thing there. Crosby get's the steak and he get's the leftovers. Last year in the playoffs they never tried a line of Kunitz-Malkin-Neal when they couldn't score and this year they could of double shifted Hornqvist and tried a Perron-Malkin-Horqvist trio......... but never did. It was obvious Hornqvist was the best player on the ice for the Pens but wasn't putting up huge points with Sid. I think Geno just has to go for his own sanity. I know he was hurt but that's not an excuse. He looked fine to me the last couple of games but maybe his heart is just not in it it playing second fiddle anymore. He was the teams best player from February 2014 to February 2015 but never has been given #1 center status in that time when he deserved it. I'm pretty sure he has a no movement clause but I'm willing to bet he will waive it. The only place that keeps sticking out in my mind is the St.Louis Blues. They are in the same place as the Pens. Build a good team but can't get out of the first round. I think if those two could click on a deal it might be good for both teams. It might be nice for the Blues to have him tutoring Tarasenko like Gonchar had done for Malkin. That's all I got. I don't know the pieces but I would like to see it done.

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
People suggested this when the Pens were among the top teams in the East and it didn't make sense. The Pens are no longer among the top teams in the East. Whatever plan there was when Shero took over and inherited the prospects from the dark times is gone. It's Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, and a bunch of odds and ends. It very clearly is not working.

Dark times-rise-peak-waning strength-mediocrity and then dark times. It was the pattern for 85-03 and it seems like the pattern for 03-20. 2014 was the last of waning strength, 2015 is the beginning of mediocrity, and the dark times should start by 2018. Maybe we'll win a Cup in 2024.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I just love HFB. So many people think they know exactly how things are going to play out when the true of the matter is that none of us know what will happen. Some of you need to take a reality pill because you have no idea what's going to happen. PITT may not even know what they're wanting to do right now... I wouldn't be surprised if they don't trade him, also wouldn't be surprised if they do. Injuries or not, they have still underachieved in PITT and that is something they are going to take a long look at.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'd bet my car Malkin won't be traded this summer. You lose any trade you make with him involved because no team will pay enough to make losing him worth it.

Banana Sandwiches

Jul 18, 2011
It's asinine that people are suggesting that the Penguins trade one of the best players in the world. Unless they'd be getting a player as good as Malkin back (which they would not) then they'd be crazy to make a trade.

PugFugly

Sep 30, 2008
Was just coming here to post this.

Would something like:

Bouwmeester
Berglund
Elliott
Jaskin

Work?

Don't see Pittsburgh dealing Malkin without at least getting a 2C in return.

I feel as though Backes would need to be included in any deal with St Louis.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

Sid and geno are likely over the peak, having and paying to two declining superstars is a waste of money imo.

The q is: what can the pens get for geno? Not much anymore imo. Not as much as they could if they traded him after the 11-12 season.

Crosby and Malkin aren't passed their prime Pittsburgh have no interest in trading either of them. End of story

SchennSational1022*

Voracek, Sanheim, Read, Grossmann (dump$) both 2015 1sts and a 2nd. Let's do it, intradivision supertrade.

This is actually a joke :laugh:, no player in the league is worth that.

I think that it may be beneficial to them,they have SO many holes in their lineup. He would command a huge ransom, but not liek the above one.

The problem here is he's stated he'd only want to play in MTL or NYR if traded, so that decreases his value a lot.

Mypetrobot

sua sponte
Jun 22, 2013
If and it's a big IF the preds advance without weber and jones steps up.

Do you think Weber for Malkin makes any sense?

Preds get #1 center, pens get #1 defenseman.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Realistically speaking, the pens will want to replace that can hit with several players equalling that cap.

Plekanec (2nd line C) + Galchenyuk (#1C potential) + Beaulieu (top 4) + 1st (2015) + 1st (2016) + prospect

It might seem like a low ball offer, but Pittsburgh gets 3 NHL ready players and a prospect along with two first rounders. No team will get their core for malkin. What good is an elite center if your team will no longer have the pieces to compete for the cup, or possibly even make the playoffs at all.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
This is actually a joke :laugh:, no player in the league is worth that.

I think that it may be beneficial to them,they have SO many holes in their lineup. He would command a huge ransom, but not liek the above one.

The problem here is he's stated he'd only want to play in MTL or NYR if traded, so that decreases his value a lot.

Stepan
Hagelin
Klein
Talbot
1st

Nash-Malkin-Zucc
Kreider-Brassard-Miller/MSL
Fast-Hayes-Buchnevich/MSL
Lindberg-D. Moore - FA/Glass

McD-Girardi
Staal- Boyle
Yandle - Skjei/McIlrath