Why trading Malkin might be beneficial for the Penguins

thenumbersdonotlie*

I would absolutely trade him. It's not working here and with his idiotic contract they would have to take a dumb contract back. I'm thinking

Bolland
Bjugstad
2015 #1

for

Malkin

Honestly, at this point, I would be looking to get back one, good, proven young player and then dumping his insane contract and starting over in another direction.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I would absolutely trade him. It's not working here and with his idiotic contract they would have to take a dumb contract back. I'm thinking

Bolland
Bjugstad
2015 #1

for

Malkin

Honestly, at this point, I would be looking to get back one, good, proven young player and then dumping his insane contract and starting over in another direction.

Well, obviously you'd think so. You're a Rangers fan not a Pens one.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I think there's only 2 teams in the league that have the assets to realistically make a monster like this happen.

Nashville
Edmonton

Frank Gallagher

Guess who's back.
Apr 14, 2009
Pennsylvania
Enough. This won't happen. This shouldn't happen. There is no reasonable way to make something of this magnitude work fairly. This agenda is tired and washed up. No more.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I don't think anyone is saying he is. The question is if trading him could bring in guys to help towards the solution.

And that's the thing. No trade will be a solution barring major overpayment from the other team - and why would any team do that?

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
He has looked completely disinterested since he signed that big deal. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in Russia in a 3-4 years.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Malkin got to be traded this off-season, Pittsburgh and Crosby's talent is being wasted because they got to much money tied up with Malkin. Trade Malkin, get a couple good wingers, a good defenseman and a draft pick back and watch Pittsburgh dramatically improve.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I don't think anyone is saying he is. The question is if trading him could bring in guys to help towards the solution.

Not really, unless someone is going to offer a 1st line winger, high end 2nd line centre +.

hockey4sale

Oct 19, 2014
when you are at the cap, have no picks and play like crap something needs to be done, maybe trading Malkin is that necessary step? the problem with trading superstars though is that it will not bring back nearly as much as many expecting, I still think #1 problem for the Pens is coaching, #2 injuries

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
There's a ton of people you trade before you even think of trading the Penguins. At least, if you are a smart front office (which I'm not convinced the Penguins are...).

Crosby and Malkin, and their cap hits aren't the problem. This season, it should be noted that the problems have been magnified due to injuries to their 4 best puck moving defence. Letang, Matta, Erhoff, and Pouliot. They were stuck with a bunch of 'stay at home' defencemen that couldn't help with the transition game one bit (and it lead to hardly any good odd-man rushes, Crosby and Malkin never getting the puck with speed or space, and goals had to all be ugly like the one they scored last night....it basically completely neutered the skill that the Penguins did have).

But even with those defensemen healthy, the Penguins have some pretty big holes in their lineup, mainly their wing and have bad contracts. Neither Malkin or Crosby's contract are bad ones. They are actually very reasonable. The Penguins cap issues has more to do with paying Kunitz, Dupuis, Scuderi $3.5 million or more each/season on 4 + year deals. It has to do with the Penguins not focusing on drafting young forwards.

Before you even think of getting rid of Malkin, you try to get rid of the actual dead weight on the roster, and use that freed up space to try to build around your superstars, something the Penguins have failed to do throughout Crosby's and Malkin's tenure in Pittsburgh. I expect the Cap to keep rising, meaning the Cap hits of Crosby and Malkin keep getting more affordable, while depth players will be getting more and more expensive. There's just not a trade that will be worth it for Pittsburgh, unless Malkin himself really wants out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad