Why trading Malkin might be beneficial for the Penguins

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's not up to him to decide.

Weber has too much money unvested in his frontloaded contract first years, no?

I'm like 99% sure he has a full no-trade clause so it kind of is up to him to decide. Obviously the team could strongly ask him to waive it, but it doesn't seem like there's any intention to do that.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
You were expecting him to say he wanted out and hated the city? I'm sure he wants to stay.

Seriously, it's incredibly rare to hear a player call out his team (ala Thornton). I'm not a big fan of Malkin's on-ice persona, but he's always said the right things about Pitt. We hear players say these types of things all the time and then they get traded. It's not uncommon at all and that quote literally means nothing.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
I've been saying this for 3 years that malkin should be moved, you can easily get 2 solid 2nd liners and maybe picks n prospects. Why have 2 #1 Cs if you can't surround them with the right guys? Hornqvist was a nice add but you gave up Neal for him, you need hornqvist and Neal for that top 6. Letang is injury prone so his values down and fluery isn't worth his contract so malkin is the logical choice to be moved

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
I've been saying this for 3 years that malkin should be moved, you can easily get 2 solid 2nd liners and maybe picks n prospects. Why have 2 #1 Cs if you can't surround them with the right guys? Hornqvist was a nice add but you gave up Neal for him, you need hornqvist and Neal for that top 6. Letang is injury prone so his values down and fluery isn't worth his contract so malkin is the logical choice to be moved

Penguins don't even have a legitimate 1st line winger, they shouldn't be trading Malkin for two second liners.

Perron/Crosby/Hornqvist
Second-liner/Sutter/Second-liner

That isn't going to scare anyone. Sutter is a 2nd-3rd line tweener at his very best. The scoring depth arguably gets worse actually.

Tampa fan here that offers Stamkos straight up for Malkin

Stamkos for Malkin would be interesting to build around.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets would love to get a guy (superstar) like Malkin. We have prospects, picks.....not much to spare on our current roster.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Why Malkin? Why not Crosby? I dont see any aspect of the game except faceoffs where Sid better.

You need to look again then and the fact of the matter is that Crosby is the face of the Pens and almost certainly will retire as a Penguin much like Mario did.

as to the idea of trading Malkin, I think the Pens will seriously consider trying to make a deal but with the salary cap it's going to need a lot of imagination and maybe taking some salary back as well.

also I think some people are panicking here after a Pens loss where they were missing 3 of their top 4 Dmen and had an injured Malkin

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Tampa fan here that offers Stamkos straight up for Malkin

Stamkos will likely have the larger caphit and is a poor playoff performer. Stamkos has 19 points in 27 games, I only see that decreasing playing with the linemates he'll have on the Pens.

I can't even imagine how much Malkin would dominate playing with Callahan and Killorn

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
I always entertained the idea of trading him.

Not because of the Pens, but because of Malkin. I think he'd perform better when he's truly the #1 guy.

I don't think PIT is going to do it any time soon, but I do think they will toy with the idea in 2 years. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens within the next 4.

But the question then is, would he still be the superstar that he is now? Or will be on the decline?

Evergreen

Pens fans keep saying that Crosby and Malkin have been given third line wingers, but to me the group of Hornqvist, Perron, Kunitz, Dupuis, and Bennett are decent wingers. Kunitz has slowed down this season but has been a bona fide top 6 winger for years. I'll admit Dupuis is both aging and injured, but come on, Hornqvist and Perron are legitimate top six guys, and Bennett would likely be one of not for all his injuries.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers fan here.

I wonder if we could realistically offer something around:

Yakupov (or Eberle) + RNH (Or Draisatil) and then your 1st round pick back.

Then Malkin can say he won cups playing with 2 different Canadian generational phenoms, and the Pens could be set at scoring depth for years.

:D

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Pens fans keep saying that Crosby and Malkin have been given third line wingers, but to me the group of Hornqvist, Perron, Kunitz, Dupuis, and Bennett are decent wingers. Kunitz has slowed down this season but has been a bona fide top 6 winger for years. I'll admit Dupuis is both aging and injured, but come on, Hornqvist and Perron are legitimate top six guys, and Bennett would likely be one of not for all his injuries.

Bennett? You clearly don't watch the pens at all.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Quite a few people have argued this for a few years, with it typically being followed up by people condescendingly saying stuff like "LOL, you dont trade players like Malkin, idiot", etc.

Had they pulled off a major Malkin trade ~3 years ago, they'd probably havr a deeper team, with any picks/prospects acquired in the trade being NHL ready and ready to push Pittsburgh up in the standings, instead of their current state of treading water as a secondary Eastern Conference team.

Evergreen

Bennett? You clearly don't watch the pens at all.

I watch the Pens all the ****ing time. It's pretty hard to escape them on national TV. Also my favorite team is their main rival.

If you read my post properly, I said that Bennett could have been a top 6 guy if it weren't for injuries. The unfortunate reality is that the injuries likely hampered his development to the point where he is not currently a top sixer and possibly won't ever become one. But he was drafted in the hopes that he'd be a top six guy, so the posts about management ignoring the need for wingers is inaccurate.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I watch the Pens all the ****ing time. It's pretty hard to escape them on national TV. Also my favorite team is their main rival.

If you read my post properly, I said that Bennett could have been a top 6 guy if it weren't for injuries. The unfortunate reality is that the injuries likely hampered his development to the point where he is not currently a top sixer and possibly won't ever become one. But he was drafted in the hopes that he'd be a top six guy, so the posts about management ignoring the need for wingers is inaccurate.

You're wrong, they don't have any wingers playing that were drafted by the org. Bennett may be a bust, Kap may be ready next year but he was just drafted.

Other than that not a single winger with even NHL potential in their system.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Malkin should have been traded for a kings package of youth 3 years ago, old wingers in Kunitz and Dupuis should have been replaced with cheaper versions as well. 2 players taking up 30% of your cap is a tough pill to swallow.

And as bad as it was for Pitt just wait to see the nightmare in Chicago next season when Toews and Kane will take up 21m in cap space and will have 13m left to sign 10 players to fill their roster...and I'm not talking 4th liners and 5-6 Dman. expect big changes in the windy city or a very bad team.

Dallas Eakins*

Malkin is a generational talent and from my opinion is better than Crosby. A team cannot really lose a trade when this trade is for such a player. However, like I said, I don't want Malkin on my team :)

Well that unfounded "opinion" people love to toss around is just a blatant lie. Then to get into the fact that Malkin hasn't been particularly relevant in years(don't bother bringing up ppg pace because in my mind playing games actually matter too) Anyone trading for Malkin at this point will be on the receiving end of a fleece.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

BB is the only legit winger Shero drafted during his entire tenure, and injuries have slowed him as you said. Shero obsessed over the blueline and never rounded out his farm with proper fwd depth.

Crosby played the last playoffs with an aging Kunitz and Gibbons as his wingers. This year he started the playoffs with Winnik, and then they switched Kunitz back there. Kunitz can barely handle the puck now and kills the play every time he touches the puck.

Malkin played with every third liner on the team this season before they settled on Comeau and whatever warm body they could give him. He went into the playoffs with a carousel of wingers, which was fitting for how the entire season went.

When the Pens won the cup, Malkin's winger were Talbot and Feds.

So yep, Malkin and Crosby have spent most of their careers playing with third liners and leeches (Kunitz/Neal) disguised as top six wingers. They have never had the benefit of playing with creative wingers that can carry the puck and generate offense on their own.

Hossa is the only legit creative winger either has played with their entire careers. That was for 2.5 months in 2008.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Please tell me how Fleury isn't worth his contract.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
The biggest problem is that any team acquiring Malkin would be so depleted after making the deal that it just wouldn't make any sense.

What would the Leafs have to give up? JVR + Rielly + Kadri + 1st?

The pieces that got moved vs what we receive would just set us even farther back as an organization.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Crosby is 27 and Malkin 28. To trade one of them now for draft picks or young unproven talent ain´t the way to go. They are both in there primes. If none of them have an injurie that will derail them to lesser players than today they have one off the all time greatest center tandems to continue to build around for 7+ years. Both are smart enough players to be good players even when 35.
Even if Fleury had a great year and PO:s, I still think Pittsburgh would be best to part with him. I never have and never will trust him back there. And his worth probably haven´t been higher than know. Then there are some fine tunings left. But if they get Letang back, Hörnqvist plays as he did in the start before the injury, Malkin stays healthy, Crosby stays healthy, and so on: This is a great team and a contender.

And even if I don´t think this trade will happen, of course these trades happens. Gretzky got traded... But the only thing that would worth it for Pittsburgh is one of the likes of Weber/Karlsson/Stamkos coming back. And maybe not even that. And those teams won´t probably wanna part with there player even i Malkin is better, as they are the soul of there team more or less.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad