Why trading Malkin might be beneficial for the Penguins

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
If both Pittsburgh and St.Louis get taken out early in the playoffs then they could make good trading partners. I imagine they would want Malkin out in the western conference but I don't know what players would be involved.

Tarasenko would for sure be involved, but would much rather keep Malkin then deal him. We got too much **** on our roster, get rid of them first or else we lose Malkin while still have the same **** on our roster.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Can you honestly tell me that the lineup you posted is as strong with Couture and Nieto on the 2nd line than Malkin and whoever? It isn't even close. That package is nothing, Tierney's probably a good 3rd liner in the future , the 1st is 15th at best, Nieto is nice but not a top 6 winger yet, Couture is the only significant piece that is being given up.

And would the Sharks be any better by trading that package? Maybe a bit now, but even that's up in the air. Long term, the Sharks would be worse. So that's why I'm iffy. Nieto is a guy than can play in the top 6 now, but is more of a complementary type right now. Couture can carry a 1st line. Tierney doesn't hold much trade value, but if he were in your organization, you'd value him similar to Despres, I think. A 1st is a 1st. If you don't like it, fine, but it's not as though the Sharks are making out like bandits, when it's debatable whether they actually win that trade or not. I just posted it for the sake of discussion. If I were really serious about a proposal, I'd create a new thread.

Last edited:

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I've thought the Penguins should've traded Malkin years ago when he was a CLEAR top 3 forward. They could get almost anyone in the league, or a great combo package in return. Having 2 great #1 guys with watered down wingers is a detriment to the team.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I think Sid is the better player, but if I had to trade one, I think you could get a lot more for Sid than Geno. And since it's not a huge drop off from Sid to Geno, I would go with the more value package that I think Sid would bring.

But I wouldn't want to trade either, but the above is the direction I would go if hand was forced to trade one of them.

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I've thought the Penguins should've traded Malkin years ago when he was a CLEAR top 3 forward. They could get almost anyone in the league, or a great combo package in return. Having 2 great #1 guys with watered down wingers is a detriment to the team.

Horrible coaching and injuries have been the detriment to this team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Yes, his value has plummeted since 2012. (Not saying he's like 15th in trade value but not a much as it used to be)

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

...and why would you want to trade a clear top three forward? Interesting.

Here's a scoop: the Pens have poor depth on the wings because they drafted poorly and mismanaged assets. The fact the have 71 and 87 has nothing to do with it.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
Tarasenko would for sure be involved, but would much rather keep Malkin then deal him. We got too much **** on our roster, get rid of them first or else we lose Malkin while still have the same **** on our roster.

I don't see Blues giving up Tarasenko for Malkin. Sure Geno is better, but Tarasenko is younger, cheaper and has about the same amount of points as Geno. I also believe that Malkin has had his best seasons already and starting to decline whereas Tarasenko most likely is just hitting his peak. Malkin is worth Tarasenko+ but I see no point for the Blues to give up Tarasenko even to get player like Malkin.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
A winger and a shutdown 2C? Really?

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm a GM with this task I'm asking for an elite, #1 defenseman. Weber, Suter, Doughty, Pietrangelo, someone that good

Halpysback*

They're much much better off trading Crosby, Malkin has consistently looked a level above Sid in the playoffs and Crosby is valued higher around the league for some reason.

Get Staal back, then do Malkin-Staal with a pile of Crosby assets.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
They're much much better off trading Crosby, Malkin has consistently looked a level above Sid in the playoffs and Crosby is valued higher around the league for some reason.

Get Staal back, then do Malkin-Staal with a pile of Crosby assets.
Crosby is valued higher around the league because he's the best player in the world.

penguins2946*

I have yet to see an argument that can't easily be refuted on why the Pens should trade Malkin.

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
If I were running the blues I'd offer Backes, Ott(salary dump) and three 1st round picks for Malkin straight up.

Schwartz Malkin Tarasenko
Steen Stasny Oshie
Berglund Lehtera Jaskin

journeyman79

May 29, 2009
If I were running the blues I'd offer Backes, Ott(salary dump) and three 1st round picks for Malkin straight up.

Schwartz Malkin Tarasenko
Steen Stasny Oshie
Berglund Lehtera Jaskin

I'm thinking more along the lines of Backes, Schwartz and a 1st

I think the Blues and the Pens would make great trading partners. We've got Stastny to replace Backes, who I think is a type of player Pittsburgh desperately needs.

Schwartz is right there too as a hard nosed leader type with great offensive skill.

Throw in a 1st and maybe a decent d-man prospect and I think that'd be a deal.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You would think a team with the two best players in the world would be better than all the other teams that don't have the two best players in the world.

penguins2946*

You would think a team with the two best players in the world would be better than all the other teams that don't have the two best players in the world.

You'd be wrong because 2 players don't make a team. There are 20 players on a team. This isn't basketball.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund + Zucker + Pominville for Malkin. All top sixers. Zucker would be perfect for Sid... Speedster with a shot and grit.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
nononononotheoffice.gif

Just no.

Malkin trade discussions have been constant on HF since forever. It's not happening. The discussion is not worth having either.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I have yet to see an argument that can't easily be refuted on why the Pens should trade Malkin.

because it's ridiculous.

There's a reason why CHI locks up Toews, Kane, Hossa, Keith - because the Versteegs of the world are replaceable. Malkin is NOT replaceable. If they deal him, they lose, no matter how much "depth" they get back. A lot of teams have depth, few teams have superstars.

I heard Hitchcock on Toronto radio last week, talking about the Blues and how great they played vs. CHI last year. He said it was their best hockey of the year and they couldn't beat them. He said, CHI's best/elite players were better than the STL ones, they were the difference makers. The players who are harder to stop, despite how well you plan/coach and what systems you implement. For context, he was asked about Tarasenko, in that he is starting to see him in that conversation of impact players, how many big goals he's starting to score and how STL needs that.

And the Pens have TWO of them, both (arguably) better than what CHI, LA have.

Don't let the current lower-than-superstar-level-PPG stats lead to a terrible hockey decision. Fans would do it. Most hockey people wouldn't.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Here you go...

To Detroit:
- Malkin

To Pittsburgh:
- Tatar
- Sheahan
- Mantha
- 2015 1st Round Pick

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well Pittsburgh's season is over. Elliotte Friedman was saying that the Penguins should have a honest conversation about moving Malkin or Crosby. I think you move Malkin but I think I'm going to be right here. Malkin just isn't as useful as he can be when he's getting 2nd line minutes. You can use that cap space + assets for depth on forward and defence which is crucial for winning.

Kunitz, Crosby, Hornqvist, Perron, _____, ______, Spaling, Sutter, Dupuis, Winnik, Lapierre, Comeau. You can use the cap space to get a 2nd line C and a LW. Martin, Letang, Maatta, Lovejoy, Scuderi, ________, Cole. I think that group can win a cup, sign a couple of big pieces, and get pieces from Malkin. You'll have plenty of cap space as well.

Church of Toews*

because it's ridiculous.

And the Pens have TWO of them, both (arguably) better than what CHI, LA have.

I don't know the 4 cups to the penguins 1 says otherwise i would take Toews Kane Hossa Keith and Kopitar Doughty Carter Williams over the chocking duo that is Crosby-Malkin any day of the week the first 2 groups have risen when pressure mounts and the last group is living in their past successes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad