Why trading Malkin might be beneficial for the Penguins

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Islanders proposal (don't be too harsh on me)

Lee + Reinhart + Okposo + Bailey

A top 3 winger Okposo
A top 6 winger Bailey
A 6-9 winger with upside Lee
And a great D prospect

Thoughts?

I'm glad you made this proposal. It's a good example of why trading Malkin could never work out well in a salary cap league. Okposo is a fa after next year and will likely sign at a cap hit of 7m + per year considering his production. Malkin is signed at 8.7. Would you rather have Malkin at 8.7 or Okposo at 7+? The other 3 players are nice but the centerpiece of the trade would either cost way too much or sign somewhere else one season down the line. Also the Pens 2nd line center would be Brandon Sutter for the forseeable future.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I'm glad you made this proposal. It's a good example of why trading Malkin could never work out well in a salary cap league. Okposo is a fa after next year and will likely sign at a cap hit of 7m + per year considering his production. Malkin is signed at 8.7. Would you rather have Malkin at 8.7 or Okposo at 7+? The other 3 players are nice but the centerpiece of the trade would either cost way too much or sign somewhere else one season down the line. Also the Pens 2nd line center would be Brandon Sutter for the forseeable future.

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to send a bunch of scrubs. I actually figured this could help both teams. I see your point however.

Last edited:

martz11

Mar 5, 2013
PA
Why trade Malkin now? His value on the market is low right now. The problem is they've wiffed on draft picks at the forward position the last 5 years or so and made some head scratching trades. It's not easy to get out of that hole.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Islanders proposal (don't be too harsh on me)

Lee + Reinhart + Okposo + Bailey

A top 3 winger Okposo
A top 6 winger Bailey
A 6-9 winger with upside Lee
And a great D prospect

Thoughts?

I don't think that is a bad start, but can Lee play 2C? I'm not sure

Center Depth--Assuming Lee is the real deal at 2C, this is nice: Crosby, Lee, Sutter, Lappierre
Top 6 RW depth is solid: Perron, Okposo -- Bottom 6 RW depth not so much
LW depth not so bad either: Baily, Spaling, Comeau

But, salary cap introduces an entirely different angle here...

Okposo will need $7M
Bailey has a $3.5M Caphit
Lee is on an ELC, but what happens when he needs a raise?

For this to work there needs to be an extra $5M in cap space available after these guys contracts are up

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't think that is a bad start, but can Lee play 2C? I'm not sure

Center Depth--Assuming Lee is the real deal at 2C, this is nice: Crosby, Lee, Sutter, Lappierre
Top 6 RW depth is solid: Perron, Okposo -- Bottom 6 RW depth not so much
LW depth not so bad either: Baily, Spaling, Comeau

But, salary cap introduces an entirely different angle here...

Okposo will need $7M
Bailey has a $3.5M Caphit
Lee is on an ELC, but what happens when he needs a raise?

For this to work there needs to be an extra $5M in cap space available after these guys contracts are up

That'll be hard since no many big money players are expiring in 2016.

Martin & Ehroff expire this year and thats it.

Kunitz & Dupuis dont expire until 2018, same with Scuderi.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
so it was once again everybody else's fault that Bruins completely shut Pens down? i think that Pens fans just have unreasonable expectations to every player besides Geno and Crosby. Wasn't it that season when Kunitz had his best PPG when Crosby went down and Jussi Jokinen was his center.

Nope, all of Kunitz's best season have been with Sid.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Malkin to FLA for Bjugstad, Huberdeau and Gudbranson. Pens bite?

RedLeaf099*

Malkin to FLA for Bjugstad, Huberdeau and Gudbranson. Pens bite?

Pens being my secondary team...no i wouldn't bite. I don't think that would be a good trade for Florida either though. You would be like the Pens without Crosby:laugh:

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Whether people want to admit it or not, the Pens need a roster overhaul. Trading Geno for a good #2C, top 6 winger and top 6 d-man could work wonders for them.

Mad Brills*

Overpaying role players is why boston/chicago/pitt are in these situations.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Whether people want to admit it or not, the Pens need a roster overhaul. Trading Geno for a good #2C, top 6 winger and top 6 d-man could work wonders for them.

Top 6 dman? lol thats a funny view of skill set. Why not just get an average second line winger for him to play with?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

I'm thinking that the Bolts should trade Stammer before his contract expires. He's gonna cost too much and they can get some great pieces for him. What do you think?

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
From BUF:
- Bogosian
- Grigorenko
- 2015 STL/NYI 1st
- 2015 BUF 2nd
- Something else?

From PITT:
- Malkin
- Cap dumps

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
It's not crazy, they should have done this a couple of years ago.

But it's a bold move and few in hockey are capable of making bold moves.

And quite frankly, it's a big strike against Malkin that he lacks the inner drive to "be the man" and hasn't forced a trade so he can have his own team where he drives the car so to speak.

That's what sets Malkin back from being an all time great. Happy to be second fiddle so he doesn't need to face the pressure.

A trade with St. Louis is there to be made but teams are afraid to make bold moves and Malkin lacks the drive to have his own team.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
It's not crazy, they should have done this a couple of years ago.

But it's a bold move and few in hockey are capable of making bold moves.

And quite frankly, it's a big strike against Malkin that he lacks the inner drive to "be the man" and hasn't forced a trade so he can have his own team where he drives the car so to speak.

That's what sets Malkin back from being an all time great. Happy to be second fiddle so he doesn't need to face the pressure.

A trade with St. Louis is there to be made but teams are afraid to make bold moves and Malkin lacks the drive to have his own team.

Yet another HF boards psychology expert. Answer me this, why is it that when Crosby was injured i.e..(concussion) Malkin played some of his best hockey and put the team on his shoulders? But your right, Malkin can't face pressure. :shakehead

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

Sid and geno are likely over the peak, having and paying to two declining superstars is a waste of money imo.

The q is: what can the pens get for geno? Not much anymore imo. Not as much as they could if they traded him after the 11-12 season.

No team is getting Malkin for anything less than a 1st round pick + top 6 forward Winger + Top elite prospect. Then even if some team were willing to give that Malkin would have to want to go there having a NTC he could stop any trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad