Why trading Malkin might be beneficial for the Penguins

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Quite a few people have argued this for a few years, with it typically being followed up by people condescendingly saying stuff like "LOL, you dont trade players like Malkin, idiot", etc.

Had they pulled off a major Malkin trade ~3 years ago, they'd probably havr a deeper team, with any picks/prospects acquired in the trade being NHL ready and ready to push Pittsburgh up in the standings, instead of their current state of treading water as a secondary Eastern Conference team.

Easier said than done of course. Who wants to be the GM that traded Malkin for pieces that maybe don't end up to be as good for the team? I don't know if there's a GM in the league that would've traded Malkin 3 years ago. Nobody is going to be thinking well, in 3 years, we'll be deeper because of it. These are guys wanting to keep their job as GM, even though the guy that didn't trade Malkin 3 years ago is now no longer GM of the Penguins.

Moorpheus*

|GERMAN/IDEALISM\
Apr 14, 2015
The biggest problem is that any team acquiring Malkin would be so depleted after making the deal that it just wouldn't make any sense.

What would the Leafs have to give up? JVR + Rielly + Kadri + 1st?

The pieces that got moved vs what we receive would just set us even farther back as an organization.

Malking is in his prime, Leafs have players that still need 2-4 years to come into their prime (if not more), not only that but they are rebuilding, doesn't make any sense for them.

Crosby is 27 and Malkin 28. To trade one of them now for draft picks or young unproven talent ain´t the way to go. They are both in there primes. If none of them have an injurie that will derail them to lesser players than today they have one off the all time greatest center tandems to continue to build around for 7+ years. Both are smart enough players to be good players even when 35.
Even if Fleury had a great year and PO:s, I still think Pittsburgh would be best to part with him. I never have and never will trust him back there. And his worth probably haven´t been higher than know. Then there are some fine tunings left. But if they get Letang back, Hörnqvist plays as he did in the start before the injury, Malkin stays healthy, Crosby stays healthy, and so on: This is a great team and a contender.

And even if I don´t think this trade will happen, of course these trades happens. Gretzky got traded... But the only thing that would worth it for Pittsburgh is one of the likes of Weber/Karlsson/Stamkos coming back. And maybe not even that. And those teams won´t probably wanna part with there player even i Malkin is better, as they are the soul of there team more or less.

Pitt has been underperforming the last few years, no way you can have an A1 dman, 2 of the best players in the game, a solid goaltender and be getting outed so early in the playoffs.

Changing the coach hasn't worked, tweeking smaller pieces hasn't worked (Staal, Neal), time for a big shakeup.

Easier said than done of course. Who wants to be the GM that traded Malkin for pieces that maybe don't end up to be as good for the team? I don't know if there's a GM in the league that would've traded Malkin 3 years ago. Nobody is going to be thinking well, in 3 years, we'll be deeper because of it. These are guys wanting to keep their job as GM, even though the guy that didn't trade Malkin 3 years ago is now no longer GM of the Penguins.

Gretzky got traded, we all know what Malkin is worth. I'm sure out of 29 other teams, everyone is interested, but there would be 5-10 that could put together a substantial offer.

There are many interested offers that could be floated, but the big thing is that as I said above, Pitt has gone flat and small or medium (firing their coach and GM) haven't helped. If you have the caliber of team that Pitts has and the pieces are there, I think the crazier thing is to continually stay put and hope for the best.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Malkin to San Jose for a package around Couture makes a lot of sense to me. Both teams need a shake-up.

Malkin to Edmonton for a package around RNH would also make sense.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Pitt has been underperforming the last few years, no way you can have an A1 dman, 2 of the best players in the game, a solid goaltender and be getting outed so early in the playoffs.

Changing the coach hasn't worked, tweeking smaller pieces hasn't worked (Staal, Neal), time for a big shakeup.

They haven´t been living up to potential. But the few adjustmenst made before this season actually made them a great team. As long as they were healthy. October-november they were looking great. A lot off posters here can say I am one of those who often call Crosby overrated (historically), but he is still the greatest player in the game. And he really never came back to his level of play since the mumps. And that´s just the top off the iceberg. Hornqvist level off play didn´t reach the same level off play that before the injuri. Maatta only played 20 games. Letang was out for the big push. Malkin, a top 5 player at least in the world, is obviosly injuried. In there top 20 point getters only 7 played more than 70 games.

For me, I hope they don´t panic alá Washington a few years back. That team was a year where everything was going right from winning the Cup. So is Pittsburgh. And I´m not even a fan of these Pittsburgh teams (was one of my favourite teams during the Lemieux and then Jagr era...).

The only thing that would panick me as a Penguin is if Letangs injurie is worse than it seems. He is an unique player that means more than many think to both Crosby, Malkin and Peenguins offense. It often starts with him. If so, a solution in the back end is needed. And the closest to hitting the market is Green. And he ain´t what he used to be. The other big guns of the once so "great" UFA class off 2015 is almost all signed.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
BB is the only legit winger Shero drafted during his entire tenure, and injuries have slowed him as you said. Shero obsessed over the blueline and never rounded out his farm with proper fwd depth.

Crosby played the last playoffs with an aging Kunitz and Gibbons as his wingers. This year he started the playoffs with Winnik, and then they switched Kunitz back there. Kunitz can barely handle the puck now and kills the play every time he touches the puck.

Malkin played with every third liner on the team this season before they settled on Comeau and whatever warm body they could give him. He went into the playoffs with a carousel of wingers, which was fitting for how the entire season went.

When the Pens won the cup, Malkin's winger were Talbot and Feds.

So yep, Malkin and Crosby have spent most of their careers playing with third liners and leeches (Kunitz/Neal) disguised as top six wingers. They have never had the benefit of playing with creative wingers that can carry the puck and generate offense on their own.

Hossa is the only legit creative winger either has played with their entire careers. That was for 2.5 months in 2008.

I agree with what you are saying but let's not get carried away. Neal, Kunitz (up to 2013) and even Dupuis are all solid top line players (and yes I'm fully aware Dupuis is not exactly skilled but he is effective enough otherwise). Not great, but solid. And Hossa is not just legit, he is as elite as it gets.

The real problem is that in play-offs they did not play even with those wingers regularly enough ...

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
It's nice that so many PHI, WAS and DET fans are concerned enough about the future of the Pens that they've figured out how to make them better.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
general question.

Do the folks that post here completely ignore significant factors that affect value?

Factors such as:

Injury History. - Malkin has missed between 15-20 games the last 2 years. That average stabilizes at close to 20 if you extend that to the last 6 years.

Geno has missed an average of 19 games per season over the last 6 years. Or 23% of the season.

Cap Consideration - Malkin alone takes up 13.5% of a teams total cap space. Again, this is while playing less than 80% of his teams games

Opportunity Cost - What is it gonna take to acquire a player that will surely throw a teams depth chart out of whack.

No one is going to be doing the Pens any favors. Not insinuating that the Pens will give him up for a song, but no one is going to run knocking on their door offering up four young cheap cost controlled assets just to burden themselves with that contract (9.5 for 7 more years) and no depth.

DD51*

Sid and geno are likely over the peak, having and paying to two declining superstars is a waste of money imo.

The q is: what can the pens get for geno? Not much anymore imo. Not as much as they could if they traded him after the 11-12 season.

That is sad to say. The guys had many injuries the last few years and are not well surrounded on the wings. Changing management and coaching staff did not help. They both need at least one big winger who can score and make space.

DD51*

general question.

Do the folks that post here completely ignore significant factors that affect value?

Factors such as:

Injury History. - Malkin has missed between 15-20 games the last 2 years. That average stabilizes at close to 20 if you extend that to the last 6 years.

Geno has missed an average of 19 games per season over the last 6 years. Or 23% of the season.

Cap Consideration - Malkin alone takes up 13.5% of a teams total cap space. Again, this is while playing less than 80% of his teams games

Opportunity Cost - What is it gonna take to acquire a player that will surely throw a teams depth chart out of whack.

No one is going to be doing the Pens any favors. Not insinuating that the Pens will give him up for a song, but no one is going to run knocking on their door offering up four young cheap cost controlled assets just to burden themselves with that contract (9.5 for 7 more years) and no depth.

We will give you Desharnais and Parenteau for Malkin.... Just kidding.

Who can afford Malkin's contract ? + Giving some good young assets like a very good winger for Crosby ?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I agree with what you are saying but let's not get carried away. Neal, Kunitz (up to 2013) and even Dupuis are all solid top line players (and yes I'm fully aware Dupuis is not exactly skilled but he is effective enough otherwise). Not great, but solid. And Hossa is not just legit, he is as elite as it gets.

The real problem is that in play-offs they did not play even with those wingers regularly enough ...

How am I getting carried away? They have never had the chance to play with creative, highly skilled wingers. There is no way around the truth here.

Dupuis, Kunitz and Neal all have zero creativity. Dupuis and Kunitz are straight line guys that have always handled the puck like a hand grenade and Neal was lazy as sin and let Malkin do most of the work for him. None of the three can/could beat anyone 1-1 or hang onto the puck and create space for Malkin/Crosby.

Hornqvist is a beast and I love his game, but he isn't a creative guy either.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Gretzky got traded, we all know what Malkin is worth. I'm sure out of 29 other teams, everyone is interested, but there would be 5-10 that could put together a substantial offer.

There are many interested offers that could be floated, but the big thing is that as I said above, Pitt has gone flat and small or medium (firing their coach and GM) haven't helped. If you have the caliber of team that Pitts has and the pieces are there, I think the crazier thing is to continually stay put and hope for the best.

If your stating Malkin would get the same return as Gretzky, you are wrong.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Blues would be very interested. 2 clubs that need a shakeup. Pittsburgh needs better quality depth...and STL needs a superstar alongside Tarasenko.

I'd agree with this.

Malkin and Letang for Stastny, a shutdown guy for the blues, and 2 picks?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
That is sad to say. The guys had many injuries the last few years and are not well surrounded on the wings. Changing management and coaching staff did not help. They both need at least one big winger who can score and make space.

that's what Perron is...

now they need to fix the aging bottom 6

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
How am I getting carried away? They have never had the chance to play with creative, highly skilled wingers. There is no way around the truth here.

Dupuis, Kunitz and Neal all have zero creativity. Dupuis and Kunitz are straight line guys that have always handled the puck like a hand grenade and Neal was lazy as sin and let Malkin do most of the work for him. None of the three can/could beat anyone 1-1 or hang onto the puck and create space for Malkin/Crosby.

Hornqvist is a beast and I love his game, but he isn't a creative guy either.

name some wingers that would be good enough creatively for Malkin and Crosby. I'll bet that they are also pretty expensive players and because of Malkin's, Crosby's and Letang's cap hits I don't see pens adding creative wingers for both Malkin and Crosby and without Letang the defense would be pretty bad so if you want great creative wingers for Crosby it won't be easy without trading Geno.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
What was there top 6 that one year?

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Neal Malkin Morrow

Please don't say they haven't had wingers. The pens problem is they've failed to find a dominant top pair and dominant goalie.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
What was there top 6 that one year?

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Neal Malkin Morrow

Please don't say they haven't had wingers. The pens problem is they've failed to find a dominant top pair and dominant goalie.

The top 6 was

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
The top 6 was

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Iginla-Malkin-Neal

and that is absolutely good enough top6 to fight for the Stanley Cup.

it was pens biggest stars who failed on them that year no doubt about it. they had the depth and star power that year to win it all. though pens fans will probably blame everybody except Crosby and Malkin for that failure. Coach, wingers, defence, Fleury etc.

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
It's nice that so many PHI, WAS and DET fans are concerned enough about the future of the Pens that they've figured out how to make them better.

Capitals fan stopping by to say I like what the Pens have done since there cup win please keep doing it:naughty:

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
and that is absolutely good enough top6 to fight for the Stanley Cup.

it was pens biggest stars who failed on them that year no doubt about it. they had the depth and star power that year to win it all. though pens fans will probably blame everybody except Crosby and Malkin for that failure. Coach, wingers, defence, Fleury etc.

Iginla was on his off wing for the first time in his career and completely bombed. Kunitz put up points but wouldn't fight in the corners, and could never create his own shot. Dupuis is not a first line winger. Neal had the same problem as Kunitz. Wingers like Hossa/Sharp/Benn/Paddy Kane/etc can actually create space for themselves when they have the puck. They give the other stars on their team creative freedom because of it. The Penguins' wingers have always been incompetent at this. Aside from 2 months of Hossa, the Penguins have never had a guy that can step up for them offensively when the two stars are stymied.

Horvath Broncos

Aug 21, 2013
Iginla was on his off wing for the first time in his career and completely bombed. Kunitz put up points but wouldn't fight in the corners, and could never create his own shot. Dupuis is not a first line winger. Neal had the same problem as Kunitz. Wingers like Hossa/Sharp/Benn/Paddy Kane/etc can actually create space for themselves when they have the puck. They give the other stars on their team creative freedom because of it. The Penguins' wingers have always been incompetent at this. Aside from 2 months of Hossa, the Penguins have never had a guy that can step up for them offensively when the two stars are stymied.

so it was once again everybody else's fault that Bruins completely shut Pens down? i think that Pens fans just have unreasonable expectations to every player besides Geno and Crosby. Wasn't it that season when Kunitz had his best PPG when Crosby went down and Jussi Jokinen was his center.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Sorry to the people who think this is a good idea for the Penguins but it is a dumb idea.

The problem isn't that Sid and Geno take up too much of the cap, the problem is years of poor management and organizational incompetence. Every team pays their 2 best players a ton of money just like 87 and 71. If they don't it's because their stars are young and cost-controlled on elc's. Free agency takes care of that in time.

The Penguins' problems are as follows:

1.) Obsession with veterans. They are paying Rob Scuderi, Paul Martin, and Ben Lovejoy a bunch to play d when they have a wealth of young, cheap defensemen. They are also paying other over the hill guys like Kunitz, Adams and Dupuis instead of building around youth.

2.) Ray Shero had an irrational fear of drafting forwards in the first and second rounds of the draft. The Penguins have instead tried to support Sid and Geno by acquiring old rentals which has further mortgaged the organization's future.

3.) Just general stupidity, both past regime and current. I talked about Shero already. Well, Bylsma placed Jerome Iginla on his off wing for the first time in his career so he could keep Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis intact even though K-C-D has always been shut down in the playoffs. Now we get Mike Johnston. Johnston kept Kunitz in the top 6 all year even though it was clear that he had no business playing that role. Johnston played Scuderi like a shutdown defenseman all year. What about GMJR? This guy thought Rob Scuderi was making Simon Despres look good and traded him for Ben ****ing Lovejoy. Nuff said.

Now somebody explain to me why the solution to the Pens' issues should not actually address any of the actual issues. Even if you could get a fair return for a player like Malkin, (which you realistically can't in a salary cap league, think about it.), the management making that trade would be the same idiots who have run the organization into the ground while wasting the primes of not 1, but 2 generational talents.

None of that even gets into the fact that Geno has a ntc and would leave the Pens with very little negotiating power. If you think there is any way the Pens trade Geno and become a better team either now or in the future then there are 3 ways to explain how you came to this conclusion. 1.) You haven't thought it through. 2.) You don't understand how a salary cap works. 3.) You have unrealistic expectations for the return the Pens would get.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
so it was once again everybody else's fault that Bruins completely shut Pens down? i think that Pens fans just have unreasonable expectations to every player besides Geno and Crosby. Wasn't it that season when Kunitz had his best PPG when Crosby went down and Jussi Jokinen was his center.

I think you have unrealistic expectations for Sid and Geno. In today's NHL its's impossible for any single player to carry a line, especially in the playoffs. When you look at 2013 things look a lot better on paper than they did in reality. K-C-D was always a good regular season line but got shut down in the post season because when other teams started really keying in on Crosby Kunitz and Dupuis were totally incapable of creating offense or space for themselves. That is not an excuse, it is a fact and anybody who has watched the Pens the last few years would agree. Then you've got Geno's line. You had an old Iginla playing a position he had never played and you had James Neal. Neal is a great goal scorer but he is a pure triggerman and can't create offense or space for himself.

Now look at the Bruins who shut them down. You've got Chara defending one of the lines and Bergeron defending the other. As we all know, these are 2 of the finest defensive players in the game. Their job was easy because all they had to do was worry about Crosby and Malkin. You can cover them closely without any fear of their linemates making you pay by taking advantage of the extra space they may get. It's not a hard concept to understand.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Islanders proposal (don't be too harsh on me)

Lee + Reinhart + Okposo + Bailey

A top 3 winger Okposo
A top 6 winger Bailey
A 6-9 winger with upside Lee
And a great D prospect

Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad