Why is there an incorrect widespread impression that players don't like Torts

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I'm amused at how many people immediately think "asshole boss = good boss", if you're a hardass with a purpose that's one thing, but when you just start being an asshole for the sake of being so, it becomes more about your ego and temperment than anything in search of a greater purpose. I'm not saying Torts is clueless when it comes to tactics and the like, but too often it seems like he crosses into the second line which is why so many have an issue with him.

I'm more amused at how many people think they actually have any clue what Torts is really like and that they should share that ill-informed opinion in every single Torts thread that crops up.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
A lot of players don't like Torts.

What are they gonna say? "Yeah, that guy was the f***in worst, hope he has a bad day."

Players don't give hot takes to the media like that.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm more amused at how many people think they actually have any clue what Torts is really like and that they should share that ill-informed opinion in every single Torts thread that crops up.
Again, not sure why people are so defensive of him other than I guess just immediately falling for the bluster. This isn't some completely unknown figure. He's been around forever and we hear enough stories of him to get a general sense for how he is perceived by others.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Again, not sure why people are so defensive of him other than I guess just immediately falling for the bluster. This isn't some completely unknown figure. He's been around forever and we hear enough stories of him to get a general sense for how he is perceived by others.

Except to you and all the posters here, he is. Like I said, amusing.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
If you think Torts is a great coach and C's are going to get you a porsche I'm not sure we live on the same planet, lol.

You have completely ignored the point of the post and went down a rabbit hole but....i f***ed around a lot in college and was far from the top of the class.

I make substantially more than the average income for my area. I could go to the Porsche dealer right now and leave with a new car. I started working for my current employer, one of the 10 largest banks in the country, 6ish years after graduating had basically no direct experience in the field. They didnt even check to see if I went to the school shown on my resume let alone care about the grades I received.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You have completely ignored the point of the post and went down a rabbit hole but....i f***ed around a lot in college and was far from the top of the class.

I make substantially more than the average income for my area. I could go to the Porsche dealer right now and leave with a new car. I started working for my current employer, one of the 10 largest banks in the country, 6ish years after graduating had basically no direct experience in the field. They didnt even check to see if I went to the school shown on my resume let alone care about the grades I received.

Bolded the key detail here.

Some of you guys took my post way too personally, I am not doubting any of your current or potential successes based on what marks you received in school. I apologize if I came across as dismissive of whatever work you all have done since coming out of school. My only relevant point was about the job you will get immediately hired out of school.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
He's "unknown" to us much in the same way as Barack Obama and Donald Trump are and many people likely have opinions on them.

If there was a monthly thread about one of those 2 where the same crew of posters popped in and dropped a load of crap, it'd be even more annoying.

So talk to me about Torts then. If we were having a conversation about Obama or Trump we'd likely be referring to real things they've done and said and policy decisions they've made, instead of just "he's an egomaniacal asshole" armchair psychologist type BS that gets dropped in every Torts thread.

Got a couple videos of Torts angry on the bench? What else?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If there was a monthly thread about one of those 2 where the same crew of posters popped in and dropped a load of crap, it'd be even more annoying.

So talk to me about Torts then. If we were having a conversation about Obama or Trump we'd likely be referring to real things they've done and said and policy decisions they've made, instead of just "he's an egomaniacal asshole" armchair psychologist type BS that gets dropped in every Torts thread.

Got a couple videos of Torts angry on the bench? What else?
Huh? Where else have I popped in and "dropped a load of crap" on Torts. Again, I have no idea why you are so defensive of Torts when he literally appeared #1 on the survey of coaches most players would least like to play for. These are facts, not made up opinions. We have posters that say silly things like "I'm ready to go coach" when they obviously have never played for Torts or dealt with him on a day-to-day basis, and yet you exclusively focus on people that are critical of him?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Huh? Where else have I popped in and "dropped a load of crap" on Torts. Again, I have no idea why you are so defensive of Torts when he literally appeared #1 on the survey of coaches most players would least like to play for. These are facts, not made up opinions. We have posters that say silly things like "I'm ready to go coach" when they obviously have never played for Torts or dealt with him on a day-to-day basis, and yet you exclusively focus on people that are critical of him?

"but when you just start being an asshole for the sake of being so, it becomes more about your ego" ...

So 30% of surveyed players in an anonymous poll don't want to play for a coach that makes them work hard = he's an ego-driven asshole? OK then

And I had to make up the bold because I, just like every other poster here, doesn't actually know why.

You're confused about why I'm defending him, whereas I'm confused about why you're attacking him.

Every time I ask someone why they think he's an asshole, I get like 2-3 regurgitated youtube vids/examples. Just thought I'd ask, even though it's always a waste of time - but killing time at the end of the work day is worth it I guess?

Meanwhile it's unbelievably easy to find evidence to the contrary. On that note, carry on with the poo-pooing but I encourage you to google the man and actually look for the good stuff.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
"but when you just start being an asshole for the sake of being so, it becomes more about your ego" ...

So 30% of surveyed players in an anonymous poll don't want to play for a coach that makes them work hard = he's an ego-driven asshole? OK then

And I had to make up the bold because I, just like every other poster here, doesn't actually know why.

You're confused about why I'm defending him, whereas I'm confused about why you're attacking him.

Every time I ask someone why they think he's an asshole, I get like 2-3 regurgitated youtube vids/examples. Just thought I'd ask, even though it's always a waste of time - but killing time at the end of the work day is worth it I guess?

Meanwhile it's unbelievably easy to find evidence to the contrary. On that note, carry on with the poo-pooing but I encourage you to google the man and actually look for the good stuff.
:laugh: so anyone that doesn't like Torts style just doesn't want to "work hard". Now who is the one forming wild judgments about people that they have never met?

He is an asshole because he alienates certain people and does things to feed his own ego. Remember when he put the Sedins on the PK and benched Laine? Those are things not done for the better of the team, in fact they do quite the opposite, they are done to "prove a point" that he's the big boss man.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
:laugh: so anyone that doesn't like Torts style just doesn't want to "work hard". Now who is the one forming wild judgments about people that they have never met?

He is an asshole because he alienates certain people and does things to feed his own ego. Remember when he put the Sedins on the PK and benched Laine? Those are things not done for the better of the team, in fact they do quite the opposite, they are done to "prove a point" that he's the big boss man.

I very specifically bolded that part of my post and said that I made it up, because I don't know actually know - just like you don't know.

Making tough coaching decisions makes him an asshole?

You got nothing, just like the rest. Probably just projecting. My work day is over so this is now nothing more than an actual waste of my time. G'day.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I very specifically bolded that part of my post and said that I made it up, because I don't know actually know - just like you don't know.

Making tough coaching decisions makes him an asshole?

You got nothing, just like the rest. Probably just projecting. My work day is over so this is now nothing more than an actual waste of my time. G'day.
Ok, I don't know the hostility, you don't know me (especially since I, unlike Torts, am not a public figure and you already falsely stated that I have been in "multiple threads" spreading crap about Torts) and therefore don't know what I know or don't know and are probably just projecting.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
His treatment of Luongo and the winter classic game was pure bush league. One of those guys gave a lot to Vancouver and is a future HOF inductee and the other guy is Torts. Complete shit show with the Canucks.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Torts admitted that he didn’t put in the effort in Vancouver. He knew the core was stale and he didn’t even bother with the roster he had. Guy was cashing in the cheques at that point.

He’s this generations Mike Keenan, he’s good for the short term but he wears out his welcome so fast.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
A lot of players don't like Torts.

What are they gonna say? "Yeah, that guy was the f***in worst, hope he has a bad day."

Players don't give hot takes to the media like that.

Agree. Hell will froze before a hockey player would publicly criticize his teammates or coach.

Anyone who has watched a single Torts interview, knows this is definitely not one of those cow nerved guys that everyone gets along with.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Because they can't handle criticism.

Torts is like that tough professor you have in College. Tough marker. Direct. Lots of homework. You pass the class but barely.

Then...you are working at a 100k per year job in a few years. You realize the impact said professor had on your life.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Guys like Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis have stated they wouldn't have been as good as they were without Tortorella.

More recently, Nick Foligno also expressed gratitude toward Torts’ coaching style and demeanor.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Because they can't handle criticism.

Torts is like that tough professor you have in College. Tough marker. Direct. Lots of homework. You pass the class but barely.

Then...you are working at a 100k per year job in a few years. You realize the impact said professor had on your life.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Guys like Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis have stated they wouldn't have been as good as they were without Tortorella.
That was 20 years ago. Coaches like Tortorella become more rigid and less effective over time. The same thing happened with Mike Keenan.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Because they regularly do anonymous player polls on who guys hate playing for and he's at or toward the top of the list on them. Wouldn't call that a mistaken impression.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The media puts out a false narrative about him. I've ready more than a few stories about how great of a person he is and he is also a fantastic coach. Players do indeed love to play for him. He gets the best out of them.

I mean, Panarin/Bob/Duchene didnt skip town because he was the coach. there were personal + financial reasons.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
We can look at The Athletic's anonymous player poll taken two years ago:

elglwjenzbj21.png

That doesn't answer the question of whether they like him but on average they don't want to play for him.
Did the Athletic actually misspell coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad