Why is there an incorrect widespread impression that players don't like Torts

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
Is it due to the press conferences? Do people think that's how he's actually like to his players? I encourage everyone to read the deep dive from the Athletic article with anonymous Blue Jackets interviewed, they all like Torts, just felt it was time for a change. There was a lot more animosity towards the current GM. I think h'es a really good coach (not just his Cup, also his continued success) and think he'd be a good add for any team.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Because they can't handle criticism.

Torts is like that tough professor you have in College. Tough marker. Direct. Lots of homework. You pass the class but barely.

Then...you are working at a 100k per year job in a few years. You realize the impact said professor had on your life.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Guys like Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis have stated they wouldn't have been as good as they were without Tortorella.

Last edited:

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
Maybe because his players and even assistant coaches all ghosted him in the immediate aftermath of Tampa winning the 04 Cup? Direct quote from Torts:

D0ReNiSUYAI0hW7

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Because they can't handle criticism.

Torts is like that tough professor you have in College. Tough marker. Direct. Lots of homework. You pass the class but barely.

Then...you are working at a 100k per year job in a few years. You realize the impact said professor had on your life.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Guys like Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis have stated they wouldn't have been as good as they were without Tortorella.
If you barely pass the class, you're not going to get a 6 figure job. Besides, colleges all practice rampant grade inflation these days. Everybody gets a 4.0.

Reactions: DuckyGirard

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
If you barely pass the class, you're not going to get a 6 figure job. Besides, colleges all practice rampant grade inflation these days. Everybody gets a 4.0.

Grades are meaningless after college. Noone in the professional world cares what mark you got but a good prof recommendation gets you far in the world. Lots of people skim through uni and get 100k jobs, not sure where you get that impression from.

Also, not sure where you get the idea that colleges use grade inflation but w/e

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Grades are meaningless after college. Noone in the professional world cares what mark you got but a good prof recommendation gets you far in the world. Lots of people skim through uni and get 100k jobs, not sure where you get that impression from.

Also, not sure where you get the idea that colleges use grade inflation but w/e
John Tortorella isn't the professor that would write you a good recommendation though

Reactions: DuckyGirard

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
In high profile, competitive industries like investment banking or whatever, you need good grades to get hired out of school.

Specific to those trades yes.

I just mean getting a so so grade in one class doesn't automatically = less money in all jobs.

My uncle is a top attorney and makes 350 k per year. He had a 2.58 GPA out of Harvard.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Specific to those trades yes.

I just mean getting a so so grade in one class doesn't automatically = less money in all jobs.

My uncle is a top attorney and makes 350 k per year. He had a 2.58 GPA out of Harvard.
Harvard Law School doesn't do traditional A/B/C grades.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Harvard Law School doesn't do traditional A/B/C grades.

Which is maybe why my uncle's grades 35 years ago weren't so important.

The point is we've all had people get tough on us. It sucks at the time. But you realize it was needed to be successful.

Tortorella is a HOF coach imo and he's been good for Hockey.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Which is maybe why my uncle's grades 35 years ago weren't so important.

The point is we've all had people get tough on us. It sucks at the time. But you realize it was needed to be successful.

Tortorella is a HOF coach imo and he's been good for Hockey.
Things were quite a bit different for boomers. If you want to get into Harvard Law School these days, you need both a very high GPA and very high LSAT in undergrad.

Once you are in Harvard Law, you can get a $200K biglaw job very easily because the grades are just "High" and "Pass" so even with all "P's" you'd be ok. If you are at another Top 14 with traditional grades, you will get a BigLaw job pretty easily if you are above Median class rank wise, but grades are obviously very important (aka you don't want to "barely pass" which isn't really a thing). If you are not at a Top 14, you will need to rank highly in your class to get a BigLaw job.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
those jobs ideally give you much more than 100k potential
my point is that guy is pretty deluded if he thinks "barely passing" courses is going to lead to six figure jobs at the time of graduation. This isn't like it was when boomers were graduating in the 70s.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Taking the 100k part too literally.

It's still a decent wage.

Point is Torts is a guy who gets the best out of guys.
Maybe for like a season but he overstays his welcome and then his players all hate him and don't play well for him. There is no chance he is a Hall of Fame Coach.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Taking the 100k part too literally.

It's still a decent wage.

Point is Torts is a guy who gets the best out of guys.

If you want to own a home and a decent car, not really. And even then you're basically house poor.

Pretty much need $200K+ to partake in some luxuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad