Why is there an incorrect widespread impression that players don't like Torts

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
If you want to own a home and a decent car, not really. And even then you're basically house poor.

Pretty much need $200K+ to partake in some luxuries.

Ok let's get off the money stuff.

I personally believe he's going to be enshrined in the Hall in Toronto.

And he's been a great coach.

The article above I posted has him as a near lock for the Hall.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If you think Torts is a great coach and C's are going to get you a porsche I'm not sure we live on the same planet, lol.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What people say publicly doesn't refelect how they really feel. I imagine some like him, some don't, which is prob the case with most coaches.

With Tortorella, you know he's gonna have your back as a player when it comes to referees, opposition and media; he will protect his players and take all the heat.

He also demands you play a certain way and play with a certain intensity. Someone like Phil Kessel probably isn't gonna get along and really like playing for him. Skilled guys like that who don't want much to do with defense probably aren't going to like him, as they will see less ice time playing under him.

Reactions: vshun

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
If you think Torts is a great coach and C's are going to get you a porsche I'm not sure we live on the same planet, lol.

I don't think the fact that someone is a good student means that they're going to be a good employee, manager, or entrepreneur.

I had atrocious grades due to life circumstances and now I have a decent job and own a GT350R.

Reactions: Just Linda

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think the fact that someone is a good student means that they're going to be a good employee, manager, or entrepreneur.

I had atrocious grades due to life circumstances and now I have a decent job and own a GT350R.
Yeah but what someone does 10 years later is different than the jobs immediately offered at graduation

Jericho111091

Dec 18, 2014
Paramount Ca
I don't think he's disliked, I feel like he may be similar to Sutter in that he's possibly a bit of a hardass and some players could wind up tuning him out in the room which leads to him having a shelf life. Just speculation though.

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Tortorella has always been confrontational but it's really gotten worse over time. He's gotten more abrasive while today's trend is coaches who communicate much more patiently. His growing narcissist personality issue has become a huge problem.

The game is going in one direction while he is going in the other.

Still, I don't hate him and think he is extremely entertaining and an asset for the league. I really hope he gets another shot.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ok let's get off the money stuff.

I personally believe he's going to be enshrined in the Hall in Toronto.

And he's been a great coach.

The article above I posted has him as a near lock for the Hall.

Torts isn't even close to a near lock for the hall. Hes been to 1 Cup final in his career. Hes not even the best coach in the league right now.

High Fibre Diet

Mar 28, 2021
I'm all confused where this went....is Torts going to Harvard Law School now? FWIW, I think he'd be a good lawyer.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
He seems like the dad who challenges you to beat yourself, and overcome the challenges rather than give up.
I think majority of the players who he has coached will thank him after their pro career is over.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Because they can't handle criticism.

Torts is like that tough professor you have in College. Tough marker. Direct. Lots of homework. You pass the class but barely.

Then...you are working at a 100k per year job in a few years. You realize the impact said professor had on your life.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Guys like Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis have stated they wouldn't have been as good as they were without Tortorella.

Pretty good description that also tells why Torts has a short shelf life: you wouldn't want to stay in college for 8 years taking only classes by that professor

Reactions: DuckyGirard

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I think it's because in the modern world, people tend to look at public figures as if they are characatures of themselves. Early on many people just decided that Torts is some bitter, angry prick and that's just how he acts all of the time. Then it kind of snowballs with the comments and assumptions and before you know it, there is just a public consensus when in fact most people have no idea what these people are really like.

For example, if a player leaves Columbus 50% of hockey fans just assume that it must have been because of Torts, but if a player leaves a different team they wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it must have been because of the coach. I'm sure certain coaches are more or less popular with players, but it may not be the coaches one would expect.

I've heard plenty of interviews with ex Torts players and the vast majority of them speak very highly of him, so I trust their word more than anything else.

Reactions: Norwegianoiler

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Some players like coaches that most fans and many players can't really stand. Even Mike Keenan had players who loved playing for him, despite what Brett Hull has to say on the matter.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
Because they can't handle criticism.

Torts is like that tough professor you have in College. Tough marker. Direct. Lots of homework. You pass the class but barely.
So you give them poor marks to proove a point and in turn making it impossible to get into a masters program.

Breaking a person to fix a person is exactly the narrative people like torts work with.

Then...you are working at a 100k per year job in a few years. You realize the impact said professor had on your life.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Guys like Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis have stated they wouldn't have been as good as they were without Tortorella.

It's stockholm syndrome. It's psyc 101, if you are stuck with a domineering personality you protect your ego by believing you want to be treated like shit.

You're acting as if the alternative to Torts is a soft participation points coach.

There's a whole lot of hard and tough people out there.

There's a big difference between tough love and being tough without love.

He has the blatant personality profile of a malignant narcissist. Just because you fear participation point coaching, it doesn't excuse this guys behaviour.

Guy's ego is too fragile to be someone who can truly adapt to criticism.

If he had a better personality you could believe the toughness pays off but it doesn't, there's a reason he's a franchise hopper.

Torts is a parasite he burns through people and because people buy in they believe the players fail and not him.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
People like to project. If people don't like someone they often can't see why or how other people would like them. Subjective reasoning is what people do best.

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
I think it's because in the modern world, people tend to look at public figures as if they are characatures of themselves. Early on many people just decided that Torts is some bitter, angry prick and that's just how he acts all of the time.

Or it's because it's blatant the guy's a mentality ill narcissist. And I'm not talking about whether or not he's a likeable narcissist. He's a blatant attention seeker, can't take criticism, overrates his abilities and in turn uses bad tactics. His whole stick is burning out squads of players and moving on to the next project. He's good at seeking attention and engaging in smoke and mirror tactics to look more competent than he is.

Crashing someone's ego and building them up is a great way to make someone feel special but it doesn't translate to performance.

People are acting like Torts is the only tough guy. Tough's good but you want that toughtness to come from someone who has control over their emotions.

Then it kind of snowballs with the comments and assumptions and before you know it, there is just a public consensus when in fact most people have no idea what these people are really like.

Torts does absolutely nothing to hide his narcissism. It's out in the open, there's tones of people that may look narcissistic from a distance but torts traits are overt.

He has a weak ego and sells himself on being tough. That contradiction doesn't sell, it's snake oil.

For example, if a player leaves Columbus 50% of hockey fans just assume that it must have been because of Torts, but if a player leaves a different team they wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it must have been because of the coach. I'm sure certain coaches are more or less popular with players, but it may not be the coaches one would expect.

Sure that doesn't change what torts is.

I've heard plenty of interviews with ex Torts players and the vast majority of them speak very highly of him, so I trust their word more than anything else.

Because like has been said he does the crushing and rebuilding of ego crap. It's cultish behaviour.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad