Why is there an incorrect widespread impression that players don't like Torts

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
F bombs are never heard in hockey locker rooms except by the assholes. Right?

The demeanor of those two speechs are very different IMO. Torts actually sounds motivational while Boudreau doesn't. I remember when that Boudreau scene first came out and was amazed no player just started laughing at him.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
If you want to own a home and a decent car, not really. And even then you're basically house poor.

Pretty much need $200K+ to partake in some luxuries.
I’m a teacher in one of the 20 biggest metro areas in the USA. I don’t make anywhere near $100k and neither does my wife yet we live in a nice house, have nice cars, I play hockey, my son plays travel hockey, lacrosse and baseball. We aren’t anywhere near being poor and we can take part in luxuries. The myths that get spread on the interwebs!

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Torts has his favorites and he's ruthless to those that aren't. He plays his guys to death and lets others ride the pine. He isn't the most polite or politically correct. However for those he plays they love him.

Reactions: DuckyGirard

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He seems like a selfish prick and his act has worn thin.

"Seems like" being the operative phrase. This is another thread of HF talking out of it's posterior. Torts has his flaws but he's a proven winner who ends up getting buy in from most players. I say most, because no one person gets along with everyone and that goes for coaches and pro athletes. There also seems to be some weird misconception that players and coaches or even players and players need to be buddies or blood brothers. That's not the case at all. They need to be on the same page working towards a common goal-that's it. If you don't buy into the team's goals and the team's culture you are an outlier and need to go. That's it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Torts has his favorites and he's ruthless to those that aren't. He plays his guys to death and lets others ride the pine. He isn't the most polite or politically correct. However for those he plays they love him.

....so does every coach, whether they have a mug like Torts or a seemingly disarming smile like Paul Maurice.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Because social media has made it easier for spoiled primadonna players to spread their crying so now somebody sees or reads about something and it spreads like a wild fire. It's hard to shake any misconceptions in today's society.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Or it's because it's blatant the guy's a mentality ill narcissist. And I'm not talking about whether or not he's a likeable narcissist. He's a blatant attention seeker, can't take criticism, overrates his abilities and in turn uses bad tactics. His whole stick is burning out squads of players and moving on to the next project. He's good at seeking attention and engaging in smoke and mirror tactics to look more competent than he is.

Crashing someone's ego and building them up is a great way to make someone feel special but it doesn't translate to performance.

People are acting like Torts is the only tough guy. Tough's good but you want that toughtness to come from someone who has control over their emotions.

Torts does absolutely nothing to hide his narcissism. It's out in the open, there's tones of people that may look narcissistic from a distance but torts traits are overt.

He has a weak ego and sells himself on being tough. That contradiction doesn't sell, it's snake oil.

Sure that doesn't change what torts is.

Because like has been said he does the crushing and rebuilding of ego crap. It's cultish behaviour.

Don't hold back, tell me how you really feel.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
If you barely pass the class, you're not going to get a 6 figure job. Besides, colleges all practice rampant grade inflation these days. Everybody gets a 4.0.
Where do you get the impression that colleges "all practice rampant grade inflation?"

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This thread needs to get back on track.

Some guys have talked well of Torts. Kesler and Prust are guys that come to the top of my mind that liked him

I think you have a better chance of getting along with him if you're a grinder type of player than a skilled artist.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Torts is like any other coach, IMO. Some players love him, other players don't. I'm sure the '04 Tampa team he rode them super hard and while they all probably don't like it, you can't argue with the results. And it's amazing how rapidly their play deteriorated after he moved on to the Rangers. Used to always be that Head Coaches knew that the players were going to hate them, and that's why they had assistant coaches to act as a buffer. That the "kinder/gentler" generation hasn't taken to Torts as much as the previous era isn't surprising and that the press eggs him on, just to get more clicks on their web sites, is not unexpected. It's that the fan can't see through all crying and belly-aching and understand that it's just his style to expect maximum attention and effort from his players and that he will hold you accountable, just like he is always held accountable in the press.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I’m a teacher in one of the 20 biggest metro areas in the USA. I don’t make anywhere near $100k and neither does my wife yet we live in a nice house, have nice cars, I play hockey, my son plays travel hockey, lacrosse and baseball. We aren’t anywhere near being poor and we can take part in luxuries. The myths that get spread on the interwebs!

Sounds like anecdotal drivel. What place? How old are you both? How much support did you have from your family (when it comes to down payments, etc.)? Did you graduate with any student loans?

Everybody's situation is different but to say that on average housing is affordable and you can have a nice house, nice cars, take vacations, save for retirement, and support your kids' activities on "nowhere near $100K" per person, and do it all while living in a top 20 metro area, is totally dishonest.

It's like those LinkedIn humble brag posts, where it's look at me, I'm a millennial and look how successful I am, without disclosing that their parents paid for their schooling, gifted them a car, paid for their wedding, made the down payment on the home, etc.

For perspective, the "average" home in Toronto has a selling price of $1.1M. If you make $100,000 per year before tax, the max mortgage you can qualify for is $500,000. Meaning even if you have a down payment ready of $300,000, the most expensive home you can buy is one selling for $800,000 or less. You'll have a monthly payment of $2,300 for the next 25 years and that's assuming rates don't go up.

An average 30% tax rate leaves you $3,500 per month on food, clothes, vehicle, fuel, insurance, maintenance, utilities, property taxes, and other bills.

So making $100K per year is technically below average. The young person coming out of school right now, or even a few years out, has the odds stacked heavily against them. Which is why I said $100K annual salary is nothing, even more so with the heavy inflation we had over the past year.

Now you may be satisfied with the above, but you can't say it's "nice" when it's literally below the average.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
This thread needs to get back on track.

Some guys have talked well of Torts. Kesler and Prust are guys that come to the top of my mind that liked him

I think you have a better chance of getting along with him if you're a grinder type of player than a skilled artist.

Kesler is a piece of shit human being so I guess it makes sense. Mike Keenan also had his fans.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Kesler is a piece of shit human being so I guess it makes sense. Mike Keenan also had his fans.

Those are just a couple names that popped into my head but I do know there are alot of other guys out there who consider him tough but fair at the very least.

I dont know Kesler personally, so I can't speak to what kind of person he is, but if we use that as a metric, we get a contradiction because Sean avery does not have good things to say about Torts, and avery seems to have the jerk label around here.

HeavyHammer

Go Bolts!
Feb 26, 2012
Torts isn't even close to a near lock for the hall. Hes been to 1 Cup final in his career. Hes not even the best coach in the league right now.

I think he's pretty damn close to a lock. He has 2 Jack Adams and likely retires in the top 10 all time in wins.

Barry Trotz also only has 1 cup final in his career and he's an obvious HHOF lock.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Sounds like anecdotal drivel. What place? How old are you both? How much support did you have from your family (when it comes to down payments, etc.)? Did you graduate with any student loans?

Everybody's situation is different but to say that on average housing is affordable and you can have a nice house, nice cars, take vacations, save for retirement, and support your kids' activities on "nowhere near $100K" per person, and do it all while living in a top 20 metro area, is totally dishonest.

It's like those LinkedIn humble brag posts, where it's look at me, I'm a millennial and look how successful I am, without disclosing that their parents paid for their schooling, gifted them a car, paid for their wedding, made the down payment on the home, etc.

For perspective, the "average" home in Toronto has a selling price of $1.1M. If you make $100,000 per year before tax, the max mortgage you can qualify for is $500,000. Meaning even if you have a down payment ready of $300,000, the most expensive home you can buy is one selling for $800,000 or less. You'll have a monthly payment of $2,300 for the next 25 years and that's assuming rates don't go up.

An average 30% tax rate leaves you $3,500 per month on food, clothes, vehicle, fuel, insurance, maintenance, utilities, property taxes, and other bills.

So making $100K per year is technically below average. The young person coming out of school right now, or even a few years out, has the odds stacked heavily against them. Which is why I said $100K annual salary is nothing, even more so with the heavy inflation we had over the past year.

Now you may be satisfied with the above, but you can't say it's "nice" when it's literally below the average.
I love how you rant on about minute details I didn’t post, but then focus on just Toronto. Especially considering I mentioned being in a top 20 metro area in the USA. You also put many words in my mouth and ask about things that have nothing to do with my situation. No, we don’t have help from family, yes we do have student loans.
The only drivel around here comes from the people who can’t figure out how to live comfortably on less than a $100k salary. This is now two threads where I have been attacked for telling the truth, by someone who is not discussing in anything close to good faith.

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
I love how you rant on about minute details I didn’t post, but then focus on just Toronto. Especially considering I mentioned being in a top 20 metro area in the USA. You also put many words in my mouth and ask about things that have nothing to do with my situation. No, we don’t have help from family, yes we do have student loans.
The only drivel around here comes from the people who can’t figure out how to live comfortably on less than a $100k salary. This is now two threads where I have been attacked for telling the truth, by someone who is not discussing in anything close to good faith.

Again, what location? All you've provided is a general story. How about you provide some math?

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Again, what location? All you've provided is a general story. How about you provide some math?
Do you need my address, perhaps my pay stubs? It’s not tough to figure out and it’s cute how you guys who claim teachers are rich make sure to ignore stuff that doesn’t fit your opinion.

I’ll do the same thing I did to the other “person” who did this to me…enjoy getting in the last word, I’m done with you.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
You never talked to the guy, you don't even know the guy and you have have don't even talked to anyone that knows him. And you are calling him this?

This is what cancel culture looks like.
This has absolutely nothing to do with "cancel culture", he's a public figure and stories of his demeanor have made their way into the public sphere.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Things were quite a bit different for boomers. If you want to get into Harvard Law School these days, you need both a very high GPA and very high LSAT in undergrad.

Once you are in Harvard Law, you can get a $200K biglaw job very easily because the grades are just "High" and "Pass" so even with all "P's" you'd be ok. If you are at another Top 14 with traditional grades, you will get a BigLaw job pretty easily if you are above Median class rank wise, but grades are obviously very important (aka you don't want to "barely pass" which isn't really a thing). If you are not at a Top 14, you will need to rank highly in your class to get a BigLaw job.
If you’re not at a top 14 most big corporate law offices won’t even consider you, regardless of your grades

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Really? I have two kids that play hockey, and no family funds to rely on (now or later). My wife and I make a lot more than $100k per year each, and we can't afford luxury cars (I drive a KIA) and nice vacations. But good for you.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
If you’re not at a top 14 most big corporate law offices won’t even consider you, regardless of your grades
They'll consider people at other schools that have good grades. Roughly, half of, let's call it v100 firms new hires at T14 and the rest tend to be people from good grades from other schools.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's not difficult to view Tort's career...and observe the cloud of drama, destruction, chaos, and players jumping ship, that appears to follow him in time, everywhere he goes. Combine that with what we as fans see of his abrasive personality, and overcompensating hardass persona publicly, plus piecing in snippets of what we hear from "inside the building" with these organizations as he's on the way out...It paints a pretty darn clear picture.

Obviously he's got his "lead dogs", the guys he really likes and leans on, and respond to his leadership style. Those guys are going to be vocal supporters. But a handful of vocal "positive" experiences coming to light doesn't mean there isn't an iceberg of negative experiences under the surface.

The problem is...everything about him, points to him being the type of "boss" who treats people with disrespect and condescension to constantly reassert their position "in charge". The type who comes with the rigid narcissistic hierarchical mentality of "break them down, and rebuild them in my own image". The "my way, or the highway" inflexibility that is genuinely unpleasant to encounter, and highly ineffective in making the most of actual abilities of those under them, if they don't fit into that confined scope of "My Way". It's a dinosaur mode of thinking.

The reality is, different people learn, and perform better under very different types of motivation. Good leadership requires flexibility and understanding what makes different people tick. That's the real reason coaches are generally shifting toward an outwardly "softer" and more "pliable" style. Because it's more effective across a broad section of different personalities. Not because players today are just a bunch of mentally weak snowflakes who need "coddling". And that doesn't mean those "softer" coaches are incapable of bringing the heat when it's needed, or for players who respond specifically to that type of motivation. It just outwardly doesn't show that way, because those types of coaches also tend to be perceptive enough to realize that being outwardly prickly and antagonistic toward the media and fans...isn't the way to get the most out of that relationship either.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Really? I have two kids that play hockey, and no family funds to rely on (now or later). My wife and I make a lot more than $100k per year each, and we can't afford luxury cars (I drive a KIA) and nice vacations. But good for you.
Where did I say anything about luxury cars? I didn’t and as has been discussed, it does depend on where you live. The cost of living in Naperville, Illinois is going to be a lot different than Broadview, Illinois.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad