Why is Oscar Klefbom so underrated?

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
Flames have owned the Oil 10 out of the last 11 years.We had terrible goaltending but your so called dynasty only had a few more wins.Everything Trevling has done since the draft has really been bugging you.

I have a little trivia question for you.

Can you tell me what the Oilers record is against the Flames in the last 11 years?

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I'd agree with this, but there's some other clowns in this thread that are looking pretty pathetic

There's clowns on both sides that do nothing but troll, both teams are good, Alberta is going to be a pain in the ass to travel to again and the BOA is shaping up to be filled with exciting games for the foreseeable future and hopefully a couple playoff series as well. ;)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Actually quite the opposite. Flames have no high picks until 2020 and they're prospect pool is just plain awful. Unless you are winning the cup this year (VERY unlikely), you are in a world of hurt for future talent. At least our GM is smart and our talent pool will just keep getting better and better while we move players out for cheaper, younger players. Calgary is relying on reclamation projects to keep the relevant (Smith, Versteeg, Stone, Lack, Hamonic). It'll be funnier if the Flames miss the playoffs this year and their 1st becomes a lottery pick :laugh:

So, being wrong on all accounts here; does it help you sleep at night at all? Or anything?
The Flames prospect pool is, not even joking, heavily, heavily more impressive than Edmonton's; and that's including a guy like Pouljujarvi who without questions is the best prospect of either two teams.

Tell me, like use E for Edmonton or C for Calgary; not looking for excuses or 'cherry picking' but simply straight AHL-next-gen-NHL'er level:

1) AHL All-Rookie team member:
2) AHL U-22 #1 Ranked Dman:
3) Top 5 goalie prospect in the entire league:
4) AHL team that made playoffs:
5) AHL team who's top 5 scorers had 3 U-22 players drafted by their respective team:

As for Klefbom. He's a decent top pairing guy who'll give you steady minutes more than anything. I wouldn't say underrated, because Edmonton fans sure like to remind the rest of the league that GAR is GOD is that he's the best Dman in the league. The same stat that said benched players acquired at the deadline were the best pickups of the deadline.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
1. He doesn't have eye opening PP point totals
2. He doesn't have a lot of hits or PIMs that gets fans excited
3. Fans want to believe Larsson is elite and carrying Klefbom instead of the other way around.

It's neither. They are both extremely good and complement each other perfectly.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
I know less than nothing about GAR.....but am I to understand that Edmonton has three of the top 6 players in the league?

I figured they would have done better?

Any chart that has Oscar above Sid....well....seems to ring a bit hollow.

This is a classic example of "advanced stats" being a pseudo science.

Oilyveins97*

Jun 11, 2017
Manitoba
I know less than nothing about GAR.....but am I to understand that Edmonton has three of the top 6 players in the league?

I figured they would have done better?

Any chart that has Oscar above Sid....well....seems to ring a bit hollow.

This is a classic example of "advanced stats" being a pseudo science.

Support the claim you made in the first paragraph

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Flames Fans Summer 2015: We have one of the best D in the league! Just added Hamilton! Chicago Blackhawks here we come!

Reality: Finished Below the Oilers in GA

Flames Fans Summer 2016: We have one of the best D in the league! And now have Elliot!

Reality: Finished Below the Oilers in GA

For a team with 4 no.1 D or whatever Flames fans think they have they sure allow a lot of goals. Of course that's all on the (5 different) goalies though. Sure, sure.

Nothing says "solid goaltending" like using 5 goalies in 2 years...

Are you seriously trying to argue that using 5 goalies means that their netminders couldn't possibly be the problem?

Safarite

Jan 19, 2016
He's not underrated. In fact, all I hear from Oilers fans on this site is how great he is.

Most people know that he's a good defensemen. Top 10 though? Oh, the irony of this OP...

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He's not underrated. In fact, all I hear from Oilers fans on this site is how great he is.

Most people know that he's a good defensemen. Top 10 though? Oh, the irony of this OP...

+1..

if anything he is overrated on HfOil. Glad to have him on the team though..
Between him and Larsson we have good a top pairing even if neither is considered a top 2 Dman by others.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
Pretty sure with the Oilers trending skyward, he will likely put up #1 defender kind of stats. Think he'll be widely considered a #1 by end of next year, probably top 15.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Are you seriously trying to argue that using 5 goalies means that their netminders couldn't possibly be the problem?
Hillar and Elliot both had good numbers in Anaheim and Elliot had great numbers in ST.Louis maybe going thru 5 goaltenders maybe show hey maybe it's the defence. Because you have good offensive numbers as a dman and you assemble 4 on one team does not make your defence great . Do you think 4 Mike Greens or Widemans on your team is going to help your goalie :laugh: Because that has been flames D last 4 years and finishing dead last in goals against in 15/16 is proof positive.

Last edited:

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Hillar and Elliot both had good numbers in Anaheim and Elliot had great numbers in ST.Louis maybe going thru 5 goaltenders maybe show hey maybe it's the defence. Because you have good offensive numbers as a dman and you assemble 4 on one team does not make your defence great . Do you think 4 Mike Greens or Widemans on your team is going to help your goalie :laugh: Because that has been flames D last 4 years and finishing dead last in goals against in 15/16 is proof positive.

Elliott never played for Anaheim. Hiller did well his first season with CGY then completely fell apart and was the worst goalie in the league in 15/16.

?????

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Klefbom would be a 3rd pair in Calgary.

We've heard this before. Somehow Calgary always lets in more goals though. Weird.

Anyways, Klefbom is a #1 defenceman. He's definitely not top 10, but he hasn't even played 200 games yet. Scary to think how good he could be when he hits his peak.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Flames have owned the Oil 10 out of the last 11 years.We had terrible goaltending but your so called dynasty only had a few more wins.Everything Trevling has done since the draft has really been bugging you.

What, really? Trade for an average 35 year old goalie, sign an average prospect, and mortgage the future for a declining #3 defenceman?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

If five straight goalies have failed - ones that were good elsewhere - maaaaybe it's not the goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad