Why is Oscar Klefbom so underrated?

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Waitttttttt you think Larsson is better then Klefbom? You are a Oilers fan? You watched the games?

What in the hell.

Larsson is definitely better defensively. They play different games and just so happen to compliment each other very well. They're both comparably valuable to the Oilers.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
this was his first season in the nhl....that and idk I've been hearing how klefbom is a number 2/3, he maybe now but before that no.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
The better question is why he is so overrated.

He is a #2 defenseman being heralded as Jesus Christ in the flesh.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I find him inconsistent and have never thought of him as a 1st pairing dman.

IMO hes not a top pairing dman but weirdly a tiny bit better than a 2nd pairing.... ya I know, confusing haha

DEFINATELY not a top 10 dman though.

He is the type of dman that could do decent on the top pair on some teams, could be a 2nd pairing on some teams but also a 3rd pairing on some teams.

IMO his salary is perfect. Doesn't deserve more and shouldn't get less.

Basically I am quite content with him

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Is he underrated though? I think most knowledgeable hockey people would tell you he's a good #2 with plenty of potential.
However, you're grossly overrating him by saying he's a top 10 defenseman. You're not doing him any favors on this board with statements like that.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Klefbom would be a 3rd pair in Calgary.

Right now yes he is below Gio & Brodie but in a couple years he could be ahead of Gio, maybe even both.

As for this thread, I feel Klefbom gets underrated because of how Oiler fans overrate him, if that makes any sense. I think right now he's a good #2, who can grow into a great #2/low-end #1, which I hope he does not, because it'll make the Oilers tougher to play against.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Because he's an Oiler and a segment of that board has bought into the "they got McDavid, but no D!" argument from 2 years ago and need to hold onto that badly.

If this was a player on Chicago or Minnesota or Toronto (lol) putting up these numbers at the same age and playing those types of minutes in the playoffs, he would have way, way more hype and be touted as one of the best young D in the league.

Which he is.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Overrate? Stats seem to support it though.

He is underrated on these boards.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2216409

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2208057

Both polls he should win every single vote.

Every single vote? Lol. But no you're not overrating him at all. Everyone else is underrating him. Jesus.

"Stats" seem to support it coming from the guy who linked one whole graph, which by the way shows Jordan Staal on the same level as Karlsson.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Right now yes he is below Gio & Brodie but in a couple years he could be ahead of Gio, maybe even both.

As for this thread, I feel Klefbom gets underrated because of how Oiler fans overrate him, if that makes any sense. I think right now he's a good #2, who can grow into a great #2/low-end #1, which I hope he does not, because it'll make the Oilers tougher to play against.

it totally does... every outspoken teams fans on this site has a player like this that fans love to think is an underrated top player in the league and it annoys other fans which results in them saying hes overrated.... Another example of that behaviour is Jake Gardiner on Leafs and also Tanev on Canucks unfortunately.. and many many more.

I am just using those names as examples from reading through all different threads. By no means am I saying those above names are underrated/overrated

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Klefbom is good but he is overrated due to the solid play of Talbot.That man was the main reason they made the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Klefbom is good but he is overrated due to the solid play of Talbot.That man was the main reason they made the playoffs.

So nice, we have one of the best goalies in the league then. Can't have it both ways.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
In the top 25 defencemen thread people are claiming he is top 10. He is not under rates. He is a #3 guy and would be number 5 on the Flames.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
"_____ is elite and if you don't agree you hate the Oilers"

Ok, I was exaggerating, but he is NOT a top-10 defenseman.
No you're not, this isn't the first time I've seen him called a top-10 defenseman. He's actually a popular player on the Rangers board.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad