Why is Oscar Klefbom so underrated?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
In the top 25 defencemen thread people are claiming he is top 10. He is not under rates. He is a #3 guy and would be number 5 on the Flames.

Flames Fans Summer 2015: We have one of the best D in the league! Just added Hamilton! Chicago Blackhawks here we come!

Reality: Finished Below the Oilers in GA

Flames Fans Summer 2016: We have one of the best D in the league! And now have Elliot!

For a team with 4 no.1 D or whatever Flames fans think they have they sure allow a lot of goals. Of course that's all on the (5 different) goalies though. Sure, sure.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
No. But we have 4 better than Klefbom.

You guys must really suck then in many other areas as you've been defensively worse than the Oilers for two straight years and couldn't win a single game against the Ducks.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
Flames Fans Summer 2015: We have one of the best D in the league! Just added Hamilton! Chicago Blackhawks here we come!

Flames Fans Summer 2016: We have one of the best D in the league! And now have Elliot!

For a team with 4 no.1 D or whatever Flames fans think they have they sure allow a lot of goals. Of course that's all on the (5 different) goalies though. Sure, sure.
What about that dynasty PC is creating?Cup talk out of you Oil fans was comical.Now your two big stars are greedy for a big payday.So how many Cups are the Oil going to win now?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What about that dynasty PC is creating?Cup talk out of you Oil fans was comical.Now your two big stars are greedy for a big payday.So how many Cups are the Oil going to win now?

I'll take my chances with our guys over your weak group upfront. Hobbit isn't leading anyone to Cups and your D is largely dependant on a 34 year old which is not an ideal way to build a young team. The cap will rise with time, Mark Giordano won't get younger.

The stats are the stats, the Flames have not finished in the top 10 for GA even in their magical little 2014-15 season.

For a team with 3 or 4 apparent stud D and all the talk we hear every summer on this board about how great Calgary's D is from Calgary fans, they sure allow a lot of goals when the puck actually drops.

The Oilers finished 9th in the league for GA last year, that's higher than the Flames have finished in ages, going back to the era where Kipper was good.

All I'm saying is for a "Dream Team" D that Calgary has, how is it that they are never among the lead leaders in GA? They're always middle of the pack at best.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016
I'll take my chances with our guys over your weak group upfront. Hobbit isn't leading anyone to Cups and your D is largely dependant on a 34 year old which is not an ideal way to build a young team. The cap will rise with time, Mark Giordano won't get younger.

The stats are the stats, the Flames have not finished in the top 10 for GA even in their magical little 2014-15 season.

For a team with 3 or 4 apparent stud D and all the talk we hear every summer on this board about how great Calgary's D is from Calgary fans, they sure allow a lot of goals when the puck actually drops.

The Oilers finished 9th in the league for GA last year, that's higher than the Flames have finished in ages, going back to the era where Kipper was good.

All I'm saying is for a "Dream Team" D that Calgary has, how is it that they are never among the lead leaders in GA? They're always middle of the pack at best.
I hope Leon gets a offersheet,good chance he will.Then the Lottery team has what?A 1 man show haha.You just wait until this upcoming season we will see who has the better team.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Yes Klefbom gift wraps the opposition a goal every 3rd game or so it's his biggest flaw as a player currently.

You might want to check your bias on that one. He has some glaring mistakes every now and then but it's A LOT less frequent than every 3rd game and he has cut down on that every year in the league. It's part of the learning process as a young defenseman. Again, Klefbom has not even played 200 games in the NHL yet.

I find him inconsistent and have never thought of him as a 1st pairing dman.

IMO hes not a top pairing dman but weirdly a tiny bit better than a 2nd pairing.... ya I know, confusing haha

DEFINATELY not a top 10 dman though.

He is the type of dman that could do decent on the top pair on some teams, could be a 2nd pairing on some teams but also a 3rd pairing on some teams.

IMO his salary is perfect. Doesn't deserve more and shouldn't get less.

Basically I am quite content with him

He's absolutely a top-pairing d-man and a very good one at that. Likely a lower end #1D at this point.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I hope Leon gets a offersheet,good chance he will.Then the Lottery team has what?A 1 man show haha.You just wait until this upcoming season we will see who has the better team.

Keep praying for that, it's the only thing left because you can't argue any of the points I made.

Oilers allowed 212 GA last year, Flames have only bettered that once in the last 10-11 years and that was the 09-10 season when Kipper was good, though the Oilers scored way more goals while having that GA (16-17 Oilers scored 247 goals versus 204 for that 09-10 Flames team).

One group is really overrated defensively, while the other is underrated.

Either Cam Talbot is better than Carey Price to keep the Oilers in that GA range or guys like Klefbom are better than a lot of Flames fans will admit.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He is good but I've seen people rank him in their top 25 defenseman but he's just not there yet imo. If anything he's a tad overrated right now. He's still a solid 2D but not quite yet a 1D

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010

The Flames D won't be having Engelland, Wideman, Russell, Jokipakka or Grossmann on it for starters. Thank your lucky stars that Glen Sather wanted to help his old team out by trading them Talbot.

This is off topic now. Klefbom is a good defenseman. close to top 25 at least, not sure if he's in it just yet. Gotta see another season of him.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Keep praying for that, it's the only thing left because you can't argue any of the points I made.

Oilers allowed 212 GA last year, Flames have only bettered that once in the last 10-11 years and that was when Kipprusoff was good.

One group is really overrated, while the other is underrated.

Either Cam Talbot is better than Carey Price to keep the Oilers in that GA range or guys like Klefbom are better than a lot of Flames fans will admit.

He's a good #2, like I've said before, but the reason he gets underrated is because of the amount of fans you have calling him a #1 and a top 10 d-men right now.

Kybb79

Sep 13, 2016

Oilers allowed 212 GA last year, Flames have only bettered that once in the last 10-11 years and that was the 09-10 season when Kipper was good, though the Oilers scored way more goals while having that GA (16-17 Oilers scored 247 goals versus 204 for that 09-10 Flames team).

One group is really overrated defensively, while the other is underrated.

Flames have owned the Oil 10 out of the last 11 years.We had terrible goaltending but your so called dynasty only had a few more wins.Everything Trevling has done since the draft has really been bugging you.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Flames have owned the Oil 10 out of the last 11 years.We had terrible goaltending but your so called dynasty only had a few more wins.Everything Trevling has done since the draft has really been bugging you.

You had terrible goaltending? They're the reason u even made the playoffs. Johnson and Elliott saved your season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a good #2, like I've said before, but the reason he gets underrated is because of the amount of fans you have calling him a #1 and a top 10 d-men right now.

I never said he's top 10. One day, maybe, he's still only like 23. Top 20-25, sure. IMO he's better than anyone on Calgary minus Giordano. Hamilton has more points but isn't as good on the defensive side of things. He has overtaken Brodie IMO.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

We swept you clean 4-0 last season and then you got swept by the same team we took to game 7 in the playoffs. I'm not sure what metric you measure by but most people would say there is a gap here.

I had no problem admitting the Flames were better in 2014-15 and giving them credit for a good season ... but it seems Flames fans sure have a tough time admitting the tables have turned since then.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I never said he's top 10. One day, maybe, he's still only like 23. Top 20-25, sure. IMO he's better than anyone on Calgary minus Giordano. Hamilton has more points but isn't as good on the defensive side of things. He has overtaken Brodie IMO.

I never said YOU called him a top 10 d-man, but many from your fanbase have. Personally I think he's very good, imo he is still behind Brodie & Gio, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pass either one in the coming years.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
Because Larsson is overrated. He should be thanking Klefbom for helping his rep so much and not getting his own credit.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
I never said YOU called him a top 10 d-man, but many from your fanbase have. Personally I think he's very good, imo he is still behind Brodie & Gio, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pass either one in the coming years.

I'd agree with this, but there's some other clowns in this thread that are looking pretty pathetic

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Actually quite the opposite. Flames have no high picks until 2020 and they're prospect pool is just plain awful. Unless you are winning the cup this year (VERY unlikely), you are in a world of hurt for future talent. At least our GM is smart and our talent pool will just keep getting better and better while we move players out for cheaper, younger players. Calgary is relying on reclamation projects to keep the relevant (Smith, Versteeg, Stone, Lack, Hamonic). It'll be funnier if the Flames miss the playoffs this year and their 1st becomes a lottery pick :laugh:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
You might want to check your bias on that one. He has some glaring mistakes every now and then but it's A LOT less frequent than every 3rd game and he has cut down on that every year in the league. It's part of the learning process as a young defenseman. Again, Klefbom has not even played 200 games in the NHL yet.

He's absolutely a top-pairing d-man and a very good one at that. Likely a lower end #1D at this point.

I disagree. Like i said i find him on the cusp on a low top pairing/2nd pairing type. Im sure all Oiler fans will say hes a top pairing(as they should cause they are fans) but i just dont see it. Potentially he could be though

I have nothing against him at all but i just dont see it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad