Why is Jack Hughes on the third line?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He'll be good eventually but he looks like absolute trash right now. He doesn't deserve it.
Trash?.. Here comes the hf hyperbole. OP hasnt watched much hockey if he thinks that Bratt and Gusev 'dont have talent'.

A complete roster overhaul is going to take time for the team to have cohesion. Relax HF, tune into a game the devils are a talented skilled team.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
With the lack of talent on NJ, why is Hughes not playing top 6 minutes? In the games I've watched he looks good out there.

I could understand if he was on a good contending team but he's on New Jersey. If you're not going to play him on top pp and top 6 why not just send him down and let him continue to develop?

0+0, -3 in 3 games. Defensive issues?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That’s a tough transition to make, going from U-18 to the NHL, but it’s a lot tougher when you’re also one of the smallest guys on the ice. He would blow away in a strong breeze. Most of the recent 18 year olds to make the NHL haven’t had to do it at 170lbs.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Imo he probably shouldn't be playing centre this year. Even guys that were no doubt centres like Larkin have started on the wing to get them comfortable in the league first before those added responsibilities. Given Hughes size and current defensive game he would seem to particularly benefit from starting his career on the wing.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
I watched the game tonight and to be honest Hall looks more lost there than Hughes. Maybe they should send Hall or(and) their coach to AHL..
Hall has always looked lost. If he had any offensive awareness he'd be a top 3 player in the league.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I mean, he was the best player on the ice last night for the Devils.

But don't let that distract you from your narrative.
It's kind of funny how whenever Hughes doesn't have 10 giveaways he's the best player for Devils. I was reading Flyers GDT while I watched and they were saying Hughes was terrible that game, shrug.

I guess people still can't look at overall play instead of just homing in on a couple of highlights.

Harmonica1

Nov 16, 2016
He needs to earn the right of first line. He hasn't shown anything yet, although he's NA and that goes a long way for first line, and for Calder.

Reactions: haveandare

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He absolutely was NOT.

That's what you wanted to see, not reality.
He and his linemates were a few of the only statistically positive individuals last night, IIRC in his minimal 5on5 TOI.

Did you watch the game?

Devilsfan118

Jun 11, 2010
NJ
It's kind of funny how whenever Hughes doesn't have 10 giveaways he's the best player for Devils. I was reading Flyers GDT while I watched and they were saying Hughes was terrible that game, shrug.

I guess people still can't look at overall play instead of just homing in on a couple of highlights.

I mean your bottom-tier level of posting shouldn't surprise me - but let me get this straight:

You're gathering your opinions on whether a player had a good game from the rival's GDT?

Everyone knows your agenda here, bud.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Still feel like people are sleeping on NJ.
That's because they just aren't good enough yet. It was an absolutely terrible team last year that added a lot of hyped up names but are they really going to make a huge difference THIS season? Hughes is going to be great but just because he was a #1 pick doesn't mean he's an instant star so it's like adding a middle 6 forward. Gusev also has a lot of hype but the KHL is so different from the NHL so it's hard to tell if it's going to translate. Nigel Dawes still dominates that league at 34. I don't think Gusev is a Panarin type player so it's again like adding a middle 6 forward, at least until he gets used to playing in NA. They added Subban who's coming off the worst season of his career. He's still good but is he elite or even a #1 anymore? They added a bunch of question marks. I think next season they can turn the corner and push for a playoff spot but people thinking this team was going to go from 72 points to ~100 bought into the hype of 3 players way too much.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I mean, he was the best player on the ice last night for the Devils.

But don't let that distract you from your narrative.
But is that really a compliment in a 4-0 loss? The Devils really didn't have much sustained pressure and most of their shots were from the outside and easy saves for Hart without many rebounds or second chances. I didn't think anyone looked very good for them last night.

He did some good things but also made some mistakes but that's how young players tend to be and it's why I always think it's funny that people think 18 year olds are going to turn a team around. I will say, he looks quick even for the NHL, his hands are soft, and he plays with confidence but he needs to get stronger on his feet and on the puck which I'm sure he will with some time.

Devilsfan118

Jun 11, 2010
NJ
But is that really a compliment in a 4-0 loss? The Devils really didn't have much sustained pressure and most of their shots were from the outside and easy saves for Hart without many rebounds or second chances. I didn't think anyone looked very good for them last night.

I mean.. yes, yes it is? This thread isn't about the Devils, it's about dumping on the recent 1st OA. He was fine last night, and he's looked better in every game so far.

Yes, the entire team looked like hot trash last night. But Jack wasn't dragging the team down as a couple of the usual suspects here would like you to believe.

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
With the lack of talent on NJ, why is Hughes not playing top 6 minutes? In the games I've watched he looks good out there.

I could understand if he was on a good contending team but he's on New Jersey. If you're not going to play him on top pp and top 6 why not just send him down and let him continue to develop?
its called development

Devilsfan118

Jun 11, 2010
NJ
its called development
Flooding the thread here a bit with my replies - but this is poor coaching.

There's sheltering/protecting your player, and then there's being afraid to let the kid do his thing out there.

Jack got less ES TOI than two AHL plugs Hynes dressed on the 4th line last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad