Why is Jack Hughes on the third line?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Gusev gets completely caved in every shift he takes, it's brutal. Scoring 2 goals is nice and all, but when he's getting dominated every shift he's contributing to losing, not winning. Hopefully Gusev turns things around here as the season goes on, because otherwise he'll be back in the KHL sooner rather than later.

The reason why he's "getting dominated" is that he's had 69 percent (!) defensive zone starts. Minding that, his numbers are better than those of other forwards in the team with the exception of Coleman and Palmieri. By the way, his D-zone starts are much because of the extreme sheltering Hughes is receiving.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Lando (who I wanted the Oilers to draft) was physically ready at 18. Also if you told some fans that Hughes or Kakko they’d only score 50 points in their rookie season they’d be livid. There is an expectation to hit 70-80 like Kane, Matthews, etc.
Honestly a lot of us would be very happy if Kakko hits 40-45. But then again this is unfamiliar territory for NYR fans...better to be cautious.

Reactions: Berserk and voxel

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
Hughes will be fine. He doesn’t have that miles ahead hockey IQ of some 1oa’s, where they seamlessly come in and are a threat, but he’s got lots of talent and will put it all together soon.

Gusev on the other hand might be the worst skill hockey player I’ve ever seen. That dude is completely lost right now, and needs some help fast.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hughes will be fine. He doesn’t have that miles ahead hockey IQ of some 1oa’s, where they seamlessly come in and are a threat, but he’s got lots of talent and will put it all together soon.

Gusev on the other hand might be the worst skill hockey player I’ve ever seen. That dude is completely lost right now, and needs some help fast.

Ya I agree Hughes will eventually be fine. He isn't ready for the NHL quite yet but he will stick it out and have a very quiet season stat wise but I have no worry about him. I wouldn't even be opposed to him getting in some AHL time...

Also, I agree about Gusev....I got ridiculed like crazy on here for being dumbfounded at the contract NJ gave him before he even played an NHL game lol. I hope he gets rolling asap

Reactions: wetcoast

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yikes, you give yourself away here. For one, he's only played 13:54 with Gusev and 5on5, and 45:25 without him. They haven't been linemates since the 2nd game of the season against Buffalo. Gusev has not been good, he's been downright awful outside of his 2 goals. 31 CF% (worst on the team), 32.84 SF% (worst on the team), 24.11 xGF% (worst on the team), 15.79 HDCF% (worst on the team), etc. Gusev gets completely caved in every shift he takes, it's brutal. Scoring 2 goals is nice and all, but when he's getting dominated every shift he's contributing to losing, not winning. Hopefully Gusev turns things around here as the season goes on, because otherwise he'll be back in the KHL sooner rather than later.

Hughes in games 3, 4, and 5 has been much better than in the first 2. Still needs to get better in the faceoff circle of course, but most 18 year old rookies are terrible there. In the last 3 games at 5on5, Hughes is 2nd in CF% at 64.91, 2nd in SF% at 67.74, 2nd in xGF% at 73.34, etc. His line has been completely controlling the game while on the ice, and if it keeps up the points are going to come, because no one plays that well and doesn't start scoring.

Everyone knows he needs to get stronger and needs to be better in the defensive end, this isn't controversial or even a profound insight. Hopefully they keep Zacha on his wing, who is very good defensively and a huge body to grind out in the corner, which will cover some of that up while Hughes develops. Of course this has pretty much all been covered in this thread already, so...

Your team sucks and here you are ranting against a guy in his first year in the league with 2 goals in 5 games because it was said that he's started well. I don't need your advanced stats. The sample is way too small. He's done well enough. You are here trying to make all the excuses that exist for a player with 0 points, but 2 points isn't good enough.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Gusev was never supposed to be a possession driver, his small size and weak stride just don't allow that. He is, however, a very skillful player which he has already shown so his terrible possession numbers might have something to do with his usage (like playing him with some no-name rookie center) rather than him because he is everything any smart human being would have thought he is. There would be a problem if he wasn't scoring but he currently has over 20% of the team's goals so..

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Your team sucks and here you are ranting against a guy in his first year in the league with 2 goals in 5 games because it was said that he's started well. I don't need your advanced stats. The sample is way too small. He's done well enough. You are here trying to make all the excuses that exist for a player with 0 points, but 2 points isn't good enough.
I am not "ranting" against Gusev, I was calling you out for your obvious ignorance despite being in here acting like you have been following the Devils this year. "I don't need your advanced stats" is also an argument from personal incredulity, which is hardly surprising considering the source.

Thanks for pointing out that the Devils suck as well, I had no idea!

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I am not "ranting" against Gusev, I was calling you out for your obvious ignorance despite being in here acting like you have been following the Devils this year. "I don't need your advanced stats" is also an argument from personal incredulity, which is hardly surprising considering the source.

Thanks for pointing out that the Devils suck as well, I had no idea!
You'll have to forgive PB. Opining on hockey he clearly hasn't watched is sort of his gig.

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
Wouldn't call him the problem on the devils, but he sure as shit isn't doing anything to help.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
1) middle six lines are much less pressure, which is better for his mental development
2) ...also play fewer minutes, since nearly all young players are not used to the super-long 82 game NHL schedule
3) they have plenty of vets to put in the top six
4) they're not trying to win anything right now so there's no need to rush
5) this is standard procedure for most top picks who are not generational-level, which is probably 90% of top five picks...either play them in the minors or give them a limited role on the big club
6) he can still be sent down later

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I've watched a few games on CI

He is small. Gets pushed off along the boards. He will get there. Needs some experience and beefing up.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Ya I agree Hughes will eventually be fine. He isn't ready for the NHL quite yet but he will stick it out and have a very quiet season stat wise but I have no worry about him. I wouldn't even be opposed to him getting in some AHL time...

Also, I agree about Gusev....I got ridiculed like crazy on here for being dumbfounded at the contract NJ gave him before he even played an NHL game lol. I hope he gets rolling asap

Yep. I also got piled on by HF for suggesting Vegas may not have lost this trade, and that it’s way too early and far from a guarantee Gusev ends up anything great.

It was like in some posters minds there was a 0% chance Gusev doesn’t end up at least a 60pt player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad