Why is Jack Hughes on the third line?

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
He will be alright.

What is going on with norris winner subban though?
giphy.gif

Reactions: NinjaKick

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
He will be alright.

What is going on with norris winner subban though?

You mean the catalyst for sucking? I genuinely respect him for what he does for his fans and children at the hospital up in Montreal, but he's a sideshow and is instilling terrible habits and a big reason for this level of play NJ is showing.

I don't know how the hell you go out and get a known distraction and lockerroom disturber, when you have an 18 year old talent like Hughes coming in to the franchise. It's like they want to taint him. I blame Subban more than I blame Hynes. Hell, I am one of the biggest naysayers of the KHL's level of play and said Gusev wouldn't be anything special, and I don't even blame him. It's Subban. There's a reason he was so cheap to acquire.

Reactions: Victor Z

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Because he simply not NHL ready... Should send him to the AHL.

He's been fine, creating plenty of chances every game. He could easily have 4-5 points if he had any puck luck. Heck, he got robbed of a goal this afternoon by a stick and two posts.

He's carrying a PDO of like .900 right now, pretty sure that's unsustainable.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Devils fans, if you had to give an answer right now, which 1st overall would you rather keep on your team and build around, Hischier or Hughes?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
You gotta wonder if they should send him to the Steelheads.

a couple more games before his contract officially kicks in, so there’s time to improve, but boy....

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He's been put into a difficult situation due to the history of #1 picks who have all for the longest of times before him been ready for the NHL from the get go. Clearly he is physically still a boy, so we should not be surprised that he cannot yet play efficiently on the level required in the NHL. As I see it, the Rangers should probably send him down to mature for a bit because playing him bottom 6 minutes probably would not be a good idea and as the season develops that is likely what it's gonna come down to.

Last edited:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
His brother is better than he is. Kakko is better than he is. That being said those are two really good players who may be great players. Jack Hughes will be just fine. But he shouldn't be up here. Yet.

Reactions: John Johnson

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
His brother is better than he is. Kakko is better than he is. That being said those are two really good players who may be great players. Jack Hughes will be just fine. But he shouldn't be up here. Yet.
Glad this has been decided 6 games into his career!

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Rangers fan here. Let's not pretend that Hughes play so far has any predictive value for his NHL career. Same goes for Kakko. These kids are 18 and are in the first month of their careers. Many current stars weren't even in the league at this point.

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
He'll be fine. Not every top prospect can come into the league and do what McDavid, Pettersson, or Matthews did.

Think he'll still get around 45 points this season.

aessi

Jan 1, 2015
Bigger question is why Gusev gets played under 13 minutes when he still produces & creates more chances.

From what i have seen he is liability on his own end and needs to be sheltered just like Hughes. Would be more worried about Gusev than Hughes since he is actually 27 years old.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The Devils are a mess but my god, Hughes will be fine. Anyone that thought he was going to come in this season and put up 60+ points was wrong from the beginning. You can see from looking at him that he's a young 18. He's a child playing against the best men in the world. If anything this season should tell him exactly what he needs to work on which is defensive awareness and overall strength. He gets pushed around and knocked off the pick way too easily but he's got some serious wheels and his hands are great. He's just been used to being so much better than everyone else that he didn't have to work on the little things. This season and next offseason will test his mental toughness but if he's not weak minded he'll be better for it in the end.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
From what i have seen he is liability on his own end and needs to be sheltered just like Hughes. Would be more worried about Gusev than Hughes since he is actually 27 years old.

Gusev hasn't been sheltered one bit, he has over 70 percent defensive zone starts which is a crazy number for a forward that does not greatly resemble a defensive player. Use him offensively and he will score, as he has already when given the chance. That he's not a gritty two-way forward everyone has known for years already.

Reactions: Marv Merchants

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gusev hasn't been sheltered one bit, he has over 70 percent defensive zone starts which is a crazy number for a player that does not greatly resemble a defensive player. Use him offensively and he will score, as he has already when given the chance. That he's not a gritty two-way forward everyone has known for years already.
Zone starts have only a minor impact on shooting stats and projected performance, as most shifts are not started with a faceoff. They are only really useful for determining who coaches trust in the defensive zone, which for some reason means Hynes trusts Gusev despite how bad he has been. This has been studied and analyzed plenty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad