Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
You mean $66 million? Because yes it is.

I forgot about his new contract but Ya they signed one good player for the first time in history, they have still put up with years and years of the same garbage the sens have.
I’m not sure why you think Arizona or Carolina has had it good or better then the sens, they have not.
Unless this is a big boohoo poor us thing, How many times have those guys seen or even tried for the playoffs over the last ten years?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If you want to ignore the current facts of the situation that is your prerogative, I understand by your replies that the organization can do no wrong which I fundamentally disagree with and feel the recent evidence has more than proven my stance correct. We shall wait and see I guess, I like my chances of being proven correct here!

I have I admit that this is one of my favorite sentiments out there.

Hoping for the unhappy outcome so that one can be proven correct. Being right trumps happiness, hope, idealism, and even changing the channel.

Crabs in the bucket.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Chabot is the player that the Sens needs to go ALL-IN on and step up to the plate and put their money where their mouth is.

Waiting a day longer the cost will be higher as current RFA's set the bar higher with each contract signed.

Is Chabot part of the rebuild or part of the team that needs to be sold off cause they can't afford him? Selling him off sends the wrong message no matter the price. This one player who needs to get paid for the community to buy into their rebuild.

Waiting till the lockout or next season is going to put the Sens in a situation where they will have less control of what happens with him contract wise.

Failing to sign Chabot long term will be a final straw for a lot of fans as they will no longer have any faith in the franchise to keep their word or commitment to what they promised.

EM/PD has no choice but to give Chabot a blank check or sell this team, failure to do so send a horrible message to the fans and the upcoming players.

A bridge deal is more a less the loss of Chabot because he will command much more money and he and his agent know that so either the Sens step up to their rebuild plan or be truthful to fans that this franchise is development team for the rest of the league.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I forgot about his new contract but Ya they signed one good player for the first time in history, they have still put up with years and years of the same garbage the sens have.
I’m not sure why you think Arizona or Carolina has had it good or better then the sens, they have not.
Unless this is a big boohoo poor us thing, How many times have those guys seen or even tried for the playoffs over the last ten years?

I'm not debating that those teams have gone through longer stretches of bad teams/bad hockey. That being said, neither team has ever been quite this aggressive to get below the floor.

A Coyotes fan actually had a pretty good breakdown on the main boards a few days ago stating/showing that they pretty much always would have hit the cap floor without LTIR deals, but that they leveraged their space into getting additional assets for taking those guys on. What we've seen in Ottawa this season is the organization NEEDING the MacArthur/Gaborik contracts to remain compliant. Spending $12+ million under the cap floor in real dollars is pretty unprecedented.

Reactions: Upgrayedd and Daxi

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Chabot is the player that the Sens needs to go ALL-IN on and step up to the plate and put their money where their mouth is.

Waiting a day longer the cost will be higher as current RFA's set the bar higher with each contract signed.

Is Chabot part of the rebuild or part of the team that needs to be sold off cause they can't afford him? Selling him off sends the wrong message no matter the price. This one player who needs to get paid for the community to buy into their rebuild.

Waiting till the lockout or next season is going to put the Sens in a situation where they will have less control of what happens with him contract wise.

Failing to sign Chabot long term will be a final straw for a lot of fans as they will no longer have any faith in the franchise to keep their word or commitment to what they promised.

EM/PD has no choice but to give Chabot a blank check or sell this team, failure to do so send a horrible message to the fans and the upcoming players.

A bridge deal is more a less the loss of Chabot because he will command much more money and he and his agent know that so either the Sens step up to their rebuild plan or be truthful to fans that this franchise is development team for the rest of the league.

So in order for the Sens to sign Chabot right now, Chabot must be willing to sign.

I can't see how it is in his interest to sign right now.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
0 incentive for Chabot to sign right now.

Based on last year, what is Chabot worth? The comparable is probably Aaron Ekblad who signed a deal worth 7.5M per year, so at the very least Chabot can get that.
If he comes in this year and puts up 65+pts, you are looking at 8M+ at least. Even if he gets injured for the entire season, he isn't getting much less than 7.5M, so there is very little risk in waiting until after the season.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The AAV won't be much of the sticking point with Chabot anyways, it'll be the 10-20 mil in bonus money that will need to be paid out in year one.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
I have I admit that this is one of my favorite sentiments out there.

Hoping for the unhappy outcome so that one can be proven correct. Being right trumps happiness, hope, idealism, and even changing the channel.

Crabs in the bucket.

I'm obviously hoping for Chabot to signed. He's a great player and is the best reason we have to even moderately pay attention to this team. Signing Chabot brings a little credibility back to the org. It's a nice small victory, although for us probably the biggest victory in awhile.

But on the other hand, if things go south with Chabot it basically destroys the last shreds of credibility of the franchise and could expedite the departure of Melnyk...which in itself would be a huge victory.

So basically, if it seems like some are looking forward to the unhappy outcome, it may just be fueled by the hope that we'd be getting closer to the ultimate happy outcome.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
0 incentive for Chabot to sign right now.

Based on last year, what is Chabot worth? The comparable is probably Aaron Ekblad who signed a deal worth 7.5M per year, so at the very least Chabot can get that.
If he comes in this year and puts up 65+pts, you are looking at 8M+ at least. Even if he gets injured for the entire season, he isn't getting much less than 7.5M, so there is very little risk in waiting until after the season.

Chabot is worth between 10-11 percent of the cap on a 7-8 year term. That puts him in similar company to Doughty, Karlsson, Ekblad, and Pietrangelo. 8 years at 8.72M would be a nice number.

The big problem is that Chabot's agent has to have an idea that if they wait until July 1st 2020, someone will roll the dice with an Aho type offer sheet with low compensation. 5 years at 8.5 with front loaded signing bonuses would be more lucrative than 8 years at 8-9 million because while there isn't as much total money in the deal, it sets Chabot up to become a UFA right in the middle of his prime where he will get a lot more than 8-9 million on the first 3 years of his next contract.

That creates a situation where unless the Senators are going to give him the Aho deal right now, there's no point in Chabot signing. He'd be taking lower than what he can expect from a different team on July 1st as a free agent. At the same time, if the Sens are willing to give him the Aho deal, there's no point in them caving and giving it to him now. They might as well try to get a better deal and then only give Chabot the Aho deal if they are forced to do it by an offer sheet.

If the Senators know they cannot match that Aho deal, and Chabot doesn't re-sign this year, he'll get traded before July 1st. It would be insane for any team to leave a young star player open to be stolen for only a (probable) late 1st/2nd/3rd. It's the same reason why I knew right away that CAR was going to match the Aho sheet. If a fan like me can predict this stuff, there's no way that professionals with a lot more experience and knowledge don't see it coming. I've been harping on the possibility of a Chabot offer exactly the same as the Aho one months before the Aho one happened. CAR had to know it was a possibility, so they only let things go to July 1st knowing they'd match a worst case scenario offer sheet. The Senators especially now after seeing the Aho offer sheet must know it's a possibility.

My prediction is that Chabot will get traded at the 2020 draft after "thumbing his nose" at a 7 year 6.72M extension that would have paid him more than Erik Karlsson got after a Norris win. What a jerk! We'll trade him for a package deal that includes a good young #4 defenseman, a few draft picks, and a decent prospect. We'll play Sesame Street by citing the number of assets to validate the trade as a win. At the same time, we'll blame the league for bullying us into having to do this because of signing bonuses.

If we're really lucky, the CBA gets clarified and the signing bonus issue is closed prior to Chabot being eligible for an offer sheet. If that happens, or if Melnyk is actually willing to match an Aho offer sheet, then the threat of Chabot leaving gets nullified.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm obviously hoping for Chabot to signed. He's a great player and is the best reason we have to even moderately pay attention to this team. Signing Chabot brings a little credibility back to the org. It's a nice small victory, although for us probably the biggest victory in awhile.

But on the other hand, if things go south with Chabot it basically destroys the last shreds of credibility of the franchise and could expedite the departure of Melnyk...which in itself would be a huge victory.

So basically, if it seems like some are looking forward to the unhappy outcome, it may just be fueled by the hope that we'd be getting closer to the ultimate happy outcome.

The credibility of the owner is long gone. Signing Chabot will not change that. Empty promises of FYOUS is simply PR spin and nothing more. He did this before and here we are again.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
This will be Chabot's last season as a Senator. I am 99.999% sure of that. We all know how this team operates by now. Anyone who believes we will actually offer him a fair deal to stay here long term is fooling themselves.

Reactions: Cosmix and Rand0m

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chabot is worth between 10-11 percent of the cap on a 7-8 year term. That puts him in similar company to Doughty, Karlsson, Ekblad, and Pietrangelo. 8 years at 8.72M would be a nice number.

The big problem is that Chabot's agent has to have an idea that if they wait until July 1st 2020, someone will roll the dice with an Aho type offer sheet with low compensation. 5 years at 8.5 with front loaded signing bonuses would be more lucrative than 8 years at 8-9 million because while there isn't as much total money in the deal, it sets Chabot up to become a UFA right in the middle of his prime where he will get a lot more than 8-9 million on the first 3 years of his next contract.

That creates a situation where unless the Senators are going to give him the Aho deal right now, there's no point in Chabot signing. He'd be taking lower than what he can expect from a different team on July 1st as a free agent. At the same time, if the Sens are willing to give him the Aho deal, there's no point in them caving and giving it to him now. They might as well try to get a better deal and then only give Chabot the Aho deal if they are forced to do it by an offer sheet.

If the Senators know they cannot match that Aho deal, and Chabot doesn't re-sign this year, he'll get traded before July 1st. It would be insane for any team to leave a young star player open to be stolen for only a (probable) late 1st/2nd/3rd. It's the same reason why I knew right away that CAR was going to match the Aho sheet. If a fan like me can predict this stuff, there's no way that professionals with a lot more experience and knowledge don't see it coming. I've been harping on the possibility of a Chabot offer exactly the same as the Aho one months before the Aho one happened. CAR had to know it was a possibility, so they only let things go to July 1st knowing they'd match a worst case scenario offer sheet. The Senators especially now after seeing the Aho offer sheet must know it's a possibility.

My prediction is that Chabot will get traded at the 2020 draft after "thumbing his nose" at a 7 year 6.72M extension that would have paid him more than Erik Karlsson got after a Norris win. What a jerk! We'll trade him for a package deal that includes a good young #4 defenseman, a few draft picks, and a decent prospect. We'll play Sesame Street by citing the number of assets to validate the trade as a win. At the same time, we'll blame the league for bullying us into having to do this because of signing bonuses.

If we're really lucky, the CBA gets clarified and the signing bonus issue is closed prior to Chabot being eligible for an offer sheet. If that happens, or if Melnyk is actually willing to match an Aho offer sheet, then the threat of Chabot leaving gets nullified.

I think you make a good case here. I have no faith in the Senators org at this time, particularly the owner. The future is bleak.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
We all said that for Karlsson... then said the same for Stone

I doubt we lose Chabot.

He is there new saviour for 6 to 7 years
They could still put a spin on those moves (even though they were obvious lies). What exactly are they going to say if they lose a 22 year old #1 d-man?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Right, when have we never signed a young-un... ;)

2011+NHL+Entry+Draft+Portraits+LH-YMd3NjXvl.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They could still put a spin on those moves (even though they were obvious lies). What exactly are they going to say if they lose a 22 year old #1 d-man?

They will put the blame on the league for allowing signing bonuses to be abused by rich teams.

They wouldn't exactly be wrong, but they don't have any credibility left, and if we do lose Chabot over an Aho type contract, we'd probably be the only team in the league unwilling to make that kind of financial commitment to a young superstar.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
They will put the blame on the league for allowing signing bonuses to be abused by rich teams.

They wouldn't exactly be wrong, but they don't have any credibility left, and if we do lose Chabot over an Aho type contract, we'd probably be the only team in the league unwilling to make that kind of financial commitment to a young superstar.
It would be the first time they publicly admit they didn’t sign someone because of money. They will pretty much be telling the fanbase they can’t commit to this rebuild they’ve been hyping up all this time.

I don’t think it would surprise most people here, but it will be a disaster for the remaining STH’s.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I disagree, I would think the negative vibes that have consumed the board has increased the number of posts daily.

Chabot will likely get signed. No way of knowing now.

Do I think he is integral to the future? Yup

Is there a future? Yup

Am I the board psychic? Nope.
Does your optimism come from the belief they will pony up and pay him 10-20 mil bonus money in the first year alone plus more down the line? or, do you think he'll take a discounted contract without extensive bonuses?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

What do EM/PD do if Chabot decides to wait until next Summer, like Marner is doing this summer?

They can't force him into negotiating before he wants to.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
If they don't sign Chabot a majority of remaining fans will shift the goalposts to Tkachuk being their final straw.

and so it goes because there will always be some fans that can't be turned. Fair enough. But at least admit there is no actual line.

Reactions: Upgrayedd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad