Why is it taking so long to extend Chabot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
There has never been a more vulnerable team than the current Sens. If Melnyk would be able to match a contract that would pay Chabot 20 mil in one year I’d love to see it, but I’m not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Saying it won’t happen just because “it’s rare” is not a good argument.

Ottawa is vulnerable because Melnyk is an absolute wildcard and you really dont have an idea of where is head is at or how far he is willing to go financially. But there have been teams that are more vulnerable.

I didn't say it wasn't going to happen. I said it's not inevitable and that it is rare. But if someone were to say that it would be a much better argument than listing the names of three players.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Different players at a different stage in their careers so the example isn't parallel. Losing those players has created some doubt and it makes you aware but to suggest it is inevitable is perhaps going a little bit beyond reason.
I didn't suggest it was inevitable at all. Anything can happen. But ignoring the precedent that has been set IMO, is going a little bit beyond reason.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
So....wait another year when the cap is higher and he'll demand even more? Doesn't sound like a great plan, to me.

But hey, I can think for myself. I don't need the organization to tell me what to think about everything. :)

You think Chabot and his agent don't know this? There's literally no reason for Chabot to even entertain offers until next summer. No RFA ever signs a year early like this. Young high end players like this know their stock is rising. They have zero incentive to sign early. What are you going to do? Put a gun to Chabot's head and tell him to sign?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
You think Chabot and his agent don't know this? There's literally no reason for Chabot to even entertain offers until next summer. No RFA ever signs a year early like this. Young high end players like this know their stock is rising. They have zero incentive to sign early. What are you going to do? Put a gun to Chabot's head and tell him to sign?

Aaron Ekblad Did...

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Perhaps we should send him to Russia for some further seasoning.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
You just showed me your reliable info from twitter in the other thread. I get it.

No need to continue here.

Im no fan of Bruce Garrioch but he is the official spokesman for the team and seems fairly reliable in delivering their message, did you read the tweets and miss-interpret the originator?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Seems like the high-profile RFA's in the league today aren't typically interested in taking 7/8 year deals anymore. They want shorter deals that take them to UFA status while they are young enough [27/28] to still get a huge payday.

If I had to bet on it, I'd bet that the Sens will get Chabot signed to an extension. Probably not this summer though, and most likely only for 4 or - at the most - 5 years.

The organization just can't afford the PR hit that would come with having to trade this player or - worst case scenario - having to cut him loose for a few picks from an offer sheet.

Reactions: little BiG

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I didn't suggest it was inevitable at all. Anything can happen. But ignoring the precedent that has been set IMO, is going a little bit beyond reason.

You didn’t. Others have. Which is what I responded to.

What’s the precedent? Rebuilding and trading away upcoming UFAs that will demand significant contracts?

Sens

Jan 7, 2016

What’s the precedent? Rebuilding and trading away upcoming UFAs that will demand significant contracts?

All the Sens need to do is give White or Chabot to long term deals to change the narrative

Everything the Sens fo is cheap
48 million in salary and still paying teams picks to pay bonuses lol
Bare bones in house operation

Reactions: Gil Gunderson

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
3500 difference in seating
2018-2019 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Ottawa’s local TV deal blows away Vegas but I’m sure you already knew that too

empty seats don't bring in revenue.

Vegas played to Sellouts +, every single game, Ottawa did not.

Vegas averaged 18,318 paying fans per game, vs 14,553 fans attending (not all paying) Senator games ...........that's 3,765 more fans per game (154,365 over 41 games) at Vegas games, paying in US Dollars.

Vegas essentially had more than 10 more average Ottawa gates (14.553) over the length of the season ............. paying in US Dollars.

The American Dollar is worth at least 30-32 % more than a Canadian Dollar, and you don't have to pay an exchange rate, when 100% of your (Vegas) revenues are in US Dollars, vs having to pay an exchange rate when your (Sens) vast majority of your expenses are in US Dollars.

But I bet you already knew that.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
If Menlllnycccck wants more revenues build a new stadium, but he’s to stupid to even accomplish something the city gift wrapped for him to do.

What exactly did the City gift wrap for Melnyk?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Rebuilding and trading away upcoming UFAs, or an inability to retain top-level talent?

Skrymir

Jul 7, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
My take:

1) Had Dorion been serious about showing this city he was serious he would've done everything possible, including overpay, to try and sign Chabot to an extension this past July 1. And he may have, but it's not entirely up to Dorion.

2) Chabot is in the driving seat here. He and his agent are seeing the same jump in salaries being handed out to top RFAs that we all are. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to wait until next offseason to see where the market is for a #1 Dman in his early 20s. He could even be hoping for an offer sheet from another team to force Ottawa's hand. If he doesn't want to sign an extension right now there is nothing Dorion can do about it.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Aaron Ekblad Did...

Yes, there's been a few examples where they did sign early... But plenty who didn't. And it seems like most of the current RFA class is moving away from the 8 year deal and looking at the 4-5 year one as their ideal contract.

So I wouldn't expect Chabot to sign until after this season regardless of what team or who the owner was.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes, there's been a few examples where they did sign early... But plenty who didn't. And it seems like most of the current RFA class is moving away from the 8 year deal and looking at the 4-5 year one as their ideal contract.

So I wouldn't expect Chabot to sign until after this season regardless of what team or who the owner was.
If he doesn’t sign this off-season (I believe he will) he will not be signing with us, outside of us matching an offer sheet (which I would highly doubt we would be able to).

We can’t afford the 21 million signing bonus in the first year that it would cost him, at the minimum.Thats nearly half of our full team salary this year, where we are still circumventing paying money.

Melnyk has paid 10 million in signing bonuses his whole 15+ year tenure here, and he’s been trying to get rid of that contract for the better part of 4 years.

It sucks, but it’s do or die this summer. Chabots agent knows what would come in the form of an offer sheet this summer, we need to meet and make him happy this summer in order to make sure that doesn’t happen, as we fiscally can’t match that kind of upfront money, especially in a lockout possible year. We need to make the terms, not have them made for us like Montreal did (on a smaller scale) for Aho and the Canes. Having the big, 5 year contract with 80% bonus money isn’t viable for this team.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Maybe it's too early, but signing him long-term is pretty much the only thing they can do to slightly change the narrative about our future and instill some optimism. Until then, expecting the worst is rational and these two morons shouldn't receive the benefit of the doubt. This would barely even be a topic of discussion if this operated like a normal NHL team over the last few years.

If it's an unrealistic demand, then I guess that's too bad for them. They made their bed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad