Why is Connor Brown penciled into the top 9?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It's funny, because on almost every team he would be a definitive top 9 player and would play on some teams second line.

With the Leafs he is a 4th liner. What does that say about our forward depth?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It's funny, because on almost every team he would be a definitive top 9 player and would play on some teams second line.

he's a 3rd liner on the leafs

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

next year's camp should be interesting with our forwards. Its looks like jobs will have to be stolen from a regular if you want to make the team

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
next year's camp should be interesting with our forwards. Its looks like jobs will have to be stolen from a regular if you want to make the team

Depends what happens with Marleau, but I agree.

Dubas has a tough task getting everyone signed to good contracts, but this is a great position to be in.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
How is he a spark plug type player? He isn't fast or physical.
Yes, I still believe 20 goals for him was a fluke. Every player you mentioned is better than Brown IMO.

He's a "spark-plug" as in he provides energy, and keeps the team's motor running. "Spark-plug" never refers to speed or hitting, as I've ever understood it. He fore-checks and backchecks, he fights for pucks, and keeps the tempo high.

If you think 20 was a fluke, thats fine. I disagree. And the other players all being better is debateable (some are, sure). But my point with those comparables was that 20-ish goal, 30-something point guys get penciled into the top 9 on every team.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
He's a "spark-plug" as in he provides energy, and keeps the team's motor running. "Spark-plug" never refers to speed or hitting, as I've ever understood it. He fore-checks and backchecks, he fights for pucks, and keeps the tempo high.

If you think 20 was a fluke, thats fine. I disagree. And the other players all being better is debateable (some are, sure). But my point with those comparables was that 20-ish goal, 30-something point guys get penciled into the top 9 on every team.

I don't agree he is an energy guy at all and that is what I consider a spark plug type player. A guy everyone takes notice of when they are on the ice and that is usually due to being physical or fast. Somebody that changes the tempo/tone of the game.
Brown could be that if he ever decides to finish a check... he refuses to unfortunately though. Even in the playoffs.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It's funny, last season in jest, I kind of raised issue of why fans weren't attacking Connor Brown and everyone ran to his defense.
So much was said about Komarov being put on the power-play. Which wasn't as often as Connor Brown yet Leo had more points.
Now it seems like Connor Brown falls into the whipping boy role. Really he does his job pretty quietly going about his business.
That can be a fatal flaw in Leaf land. When they see a young player skating all over out of position, fans love it.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
This will be an interesting year for Brown. After a good first year, a lack-lustre 2nd, we'll see how he performs (with guys he doesn't have to carny on the d-side of things)

Reactions: PromisedLand

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
He is a glue guy. Jack of all trades. Does everything. just not elite at anything. His point totals are a result of him playing up and down the line up

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Versatile? How exactly is he versatile?
Does he skate well? No
Does he excel at face offs? No
Does he provide a physical presence? :laugh: No
Does he score a lot of goals? No
Does he pile up assists? No
Does he have chemistry with any of the top 3 centres? No
Does he have a good shot? No
Does he kills penalties? Yes
Does he forecheck? Yes
Is he a black hole once the puck is passed to him? Yes

Gifting a guy a top 9 spot because he kills penalties and forechecks is wrong. Trust me I like the guy as he’s come a long way as a Toronto boy who was a long shot late round pick, but to me the results on the scoresheet reflect what I’m watching on the ice .... he’s invisible

Dude Brown was mostly on the 4th line last season with the likes of Moore/Martin to begin the season.

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Komarov
JVR-Bozak-Marner
Martin/Kapanen-Moore-Brown

was how we began the season

later I think around late Dec. or early Jan Babcock switced it up due to injuries to Matthews/Komarov

but technically we ran:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Johnsson-Moore-Kapanen

then after the Plek trade during the TDL he replaced Moore

Brown was a yo-yo last season; was used like a swiss knife. A season before that he scored 20 goals. I expect him to produce 35-40 points this season with around 15-20 goals. That is pretty good for a third liner that also PKs and plays 2 way game

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This will be an interesting year for Brown. After a good first year, a lack-lustre 2nd, we'll see how he performs (with guys he doesn't have to carny on the d-side of things)

I freakin' hated the way blowzak and the float-boat jvr played. so glad they are not Leafs anymore

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
brown is a do it all and play anywhere winger, he started on 2nd line, played on 3rd last year, 4th line at times, even on 1st line, and ended the season with hyman and matthews in the playoffs

he hustles, he plays hard, he skates well, he defends well, he PKs, and has enough offense...he can play anywhere in case of injuries, and you need guys like this

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think he will be somewhere in between first year Brown and last year. If that is the case I'm okay with him being slated in the top 9.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
OP asks why he's in the top 9, then says he's a textbook 3rd line winger. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He had a bit of a tough sophomore season, he'll be better this year.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
He’s been hot garbage, creates nothing, scores nothing, can’t make a pass, can’t accept a pass, gets easily pushed off the puck ... he’s the black hole where if the puck goes to him you may as well start skating back to your zone.

How has he kept his spot on Kadri’s line while the other guys get to play musical pressbox chairs?
I get that he’s the underdog ginger gud pro who’s a hometown boy but why does he get a hallpass to suck while others are given literally NO leash? I’m done supporting this scrub.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He’s been hot garbage, creates nothing, scores nothing, can’t make a pass, can’t accept a pass, gets easily pushed off the puck ... he’s the black hole where if the puck goes to him you may as well start skating back to your zone.

How has he kept his spot on Kadri’s line while the other guys get to play musical pressbox chairs?
I get that he’s the underdog ginger gud pro who’s a hometown boy but why does he get a hallpass to suck while others are given literally NO leash? I’m done supporting this scrub.

we have a coach who when he loves you he deliberately misses your terrible play. Get used to brown in the lineup achieving nothing because "he works hard to feed his family"
translation: "he skates weird but reasonably fast and flails around alot, blocks a shot maybe 2 every 3 or 4 games"

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
we have a coach who when he loves you he deliberately misses your terrible play. Get used to brown in the lineup achieving nothing because "he works hard to feed his family"
translation: "he skates weird but reasonably fast and flails around alot, blocks a shot maybe 2 every 3 or 4 games"

He motors around tracking but has no brain for creating offense. He is a 4th liner PK guy sucking all the O out of the Kadri line and Lindy is the same.

I hope people don't reply to this citing some obscure play that looked good. Orr could sometimes make plays that looked good too.

Add: Leivo and Ennis are playing offensively but not a peep of credit. They should be with Kadri.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Brown is a good guy to get rid of to save some cap space. He still will have value as he is young ans scored 20 goals as a rookie. He look rather useless for the past 2 years.

Reactions: weems

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
At this point, on a team with a forward group and the Leafs, Brown is a 4th liner who kills penalties. He does not have the hockey IQ to make strong offensive plays. Sure he moves around the ice lots and there is alot of hustle to his game, but is it ever obvious that his season 2 years ago was a bit of a fluke. Dont see him scoring 20 goals in a season again.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
At this point, on a team with a forward group and the Leafs, Brown is a 4th liner who kills penalties. He does not have the hockey IQ to make strong offensive plays. Sure he moves around the ice lots and there is alot of hustle to his game, but is it ever obvious that his season 2 years ago was a bit of a fluke. Dont see him scoring 20 goals in a season again.

I agree with the 4th line statement, but his hockey IQ is, to me, just fine. It's his other attributes that prevent him from actioning what he may want to do - he's neither quick enough to beat most defenders outside, his footspeed is not fast enough to catch players offguard, he doesn't have the hands to beat NHL defensemen, and even if he did have a decent shot he's not often enough in a place where he has enough open ice to get a shot off. So, he works hard. That's OK - LA had a dominant 4th line of hard workers when they won the cup. I'd take Connor Brown on the 4th line any day of the week over Ennis.

Reactions: cookie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5