Why is Connor Brown penciled into the top 9?

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
First Hyman and Now Brown. It is funny but watching the game should be a bare minimum.

Brown has been terrific these past few games. Since the line switches the whole line has played very well. They will start to score but they are not getting scored against and playing against some good lines coming out even is very good.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Conor Brown has been very good this year.

He's been given extremely defensive zone starts, and maintained a 55% CF, 57% xGF... he's been a beast on the forecheck. I think he lost that in his game somewhat last year. This year, it's clear that a fire has been lit under his ass.

monkeyboy

Sep 19, 2018
What is wrong with some of you Brown has several times beat out icing calls never seen Kadri do it once He plays on the PK don't see Kadri their? How come Linhome takes face offs on the PK and leaves the ice why not Kadri? I am not saying Kadri is bad but why does everyone think his defensive play is so great when he has so many giveaways in the neutral zone.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Brown is clutch though, his goal is the one that got the leafs into the playoffs, he can play against sidney crosby or 4th liners... How many people would trust Leivo out against Crosby..

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Brown is clutch though, his goal is the one that got the leafs into the playoffs, he can play against sidney crosby or 4th liners... How many people would trust Leivo out against Crosby..
Yes we should sign Maxime Talbot he scored 2 goals in a cup final game. How long is he going to get a free pass for one goal lol. Many players can play against Crosby. Let’s not overrate his defence either. He’s a winger, and stats suggest he spends most of his time in the defensive end, not where you ideally want to be.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Yes we should sign Maxime Talbot he scored 2 goals in a cup final game. How long is he going to get a free pass for one goal lol. Many players can play against Crosby. Let’s not overrate his defence either. He’s a winger, and stats suggest he spends most of his time in the defensive end, not where you ideally want to be.
Take away that goal and you get 19 others... Talbot was a key player in his prime

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

He's been given extremely defensive zone starts, and maintained a 55% CF, 57% xGF... he's been a beast on the forecheck. I think he lost that in his game somewhat last year. This year, it's clear that a fire has been lit under his ass.

I'm viewing Brown the same way that you are - I don't expect 20 goals from him, but he contributes in other ways that earn his ice time.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

The main thing is Brown has an oiSH% of 4.3% which is crazy. Once that line starts getting a few bounces the numbers point at them putting up some goals.

Brown also has a oiSV% of 0.89 which is pretty terrible too. Ya that line is getting almost 67% starts in the defensive zone at ES. That is bonkers.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Take away Auston Mathews and Kapanen doesnt have a bunch of points so far
Yes but we’re not talking about Kasperi Kapanen we’re talking about Connor Brown. Kappy has also put up 22% of browns career high in points playing 6 games on Matthews wing. Not the best comparison to make there.

Reactions: Menzinger

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
He has had some ups and downs. This is why you watch games and such. I am really glad he is on the Leafs. Such a likable guy too.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Our team as a whole would look a lot better if people stopped dumping the puck in. However, it looks like Brown has stopped doing it or reduced it and instead of going for more controlled zone entries and has looked a lot better. Don't write him off yet.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Yes but we’re not talking about Kasperi Kapanen we’re talking about Connor Brown. Kappy has also put up 22% of browns career high in points playing 6 games on Matthews wing. Not the best comparison to make there.
Ok, so what is Brown to you a useless 4th liner with no skill? Does he belong in the AHL...

To me a young 20 goal scorer with two way abilities and atop PKer seems at the very least to be a solid 3rd line winger. Where am I wrong?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's a solid 4th liner, no idea why he gets so much hate here now lmao

He's in the top 9 because Babcock wants him there.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
15-20 - goal scorer is a bad 3rd liner nowadays?

Damn we have come far as a fan-base... feels like yesterday that I would've chopped my right foot off for a 15 goal scorer in the top 6, let alone 9.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Might eventually slide back to fourth line RW, assuming both Nylander returning and Kapanen not switching wings. Speaking more positively to team's depth there and not negatively against Brown. Can see where that might not be much of a longish term answer though (Brown as 4th line RW).

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What is wrong with some of you Brown has several times beat out icing calls never seen Kadri do it once He plays on the PK don't see Kadri their? How come Linhome takes face offs on the PK and leaves the ice why not Kadri? I am not saying Kadri is bad but why does everyone think his defensive play is so great when he has so many giveaways in the neutral zone.
Really. Maybe you should at least present facts as to Kadri giving away the puck in the Neutral zone when that simply is not true. Kadri is very good defensively. Do you not understand why Kadri would not be beating out a player for an icing? Easy answer he should not as a center be first forward out of the zone.

You can defend Brown without attacking his center. Just an FYI Kadri has registered the same amount of Giveaways as Mathews. Giveaways are a horrible stat anyways.

Connor Brown is a plus when looking at Giveaways/ takeaways.

Reactions: IPS

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
Ok, so what is Brown to you a useless 4th liner with no skill? Does he belong in the AHL...

To me a young 20 goal scorer with two way abilities and atop PKer seems at the very least to be a solid 3rd line winger. Where am I wrong?
Nah my whole point (which I said before) is that if Babs is not using the kadri line as a shutdown unit Connor Brown should not be there.

He would be a fantastic 4th liner and would make that line reliable in their own end. However the biggest strength with this team is forward depth and the third line with brown on it essentially takes it away from being a scoring threat. We’re not winning on defence, having 3 legit scoring lines is our best chance at success in my opinion.

Reactions: Menzinger

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
First Hyman and Now Brown. It is funny but watching the game should be a bare minimum.

Brown has been terrific these past few games. Since the line switches the whole line has played very well. They will start to score but they are not getting scored against and playing against some good lines coming out even is very good.

I just had a weird PM conversation with @IPS who 4 months ago claimed Brown would be terrific on the 3rd line.

But now claims Brown is pulling down the stats of that line. Of one player in particular. He felt so compelled to respond to my presenting his inconsistency that he mocked an injury to my child and called me a racist. In PM of course.

Yawn.

Watching the games with an objective viewpoint would help.

Brown is fine for his contract and expectations. Folks should leave him alone. Fans search for a scapegoat every year and believe it with such passion that emotion clouds reason. The Amygdala overpowers the Frontal Cortext. Get over it.

Here’s the weird thing dicey, I agree with you. ;)

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I just had a weird PM conversation with @IPS who 4 months ago claimed Brown would be terrific on the 3rd line.

But now claims Brown is pulling down the stats of that line. Of one player in particular. He felt so compelled to respond to my presenting his inconsistency that he mocked an injury to my child and called me a racist. In PM of course.

Yawn.

Watching the games with an objective viewpoint would help.

Brown is fine for his contract and expectations. Folks should leave him alone. Fans search for a scapegoat every year and believe it with such passion that emotion clouds reason. The Amygdala overpowers the Frontal Cortext. Get over it.

Here’s the weird thing dicey, I agree with you. ;)

If you actually paid any attention to the discussion that you mined my quote from, it was actually in regards to how our lines would be structured (if we didn't have Tavares), mostly having to do with who Marner would play with. I suggested that Matthews should play with Marner and Brown with Kadri.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad