Why is Connor Brown penciled into the top 9?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's our best swiss-army knife. He's playing on the Kadri line because Babcock trusts Brown's defensive abilities and that line is going to be getting tough matchups. Brown doesn't create a whole lot of offense, but we really don't need every single player in the top9 to be a 30g threat. With so much firepower I think many people lose sight of the fact that 20g production is a 2nd liner on a lot of teams. Brown is an excellent bottom sixer and having to play him on the fourth line some nights is probably the best indicator there is of this team's elite forward depth.

Kapanen seems to be just as good defensively as brown, and I think (only my opinion) Kapanen has a higher offensive ceiling

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Leads by example, works his bag off, both on and off the ice. These other guys have to practice against him and he makes them compete. Also a good hockey player. No reason he shouldn't be on the roster whether it's on the 3rd or 4th RW.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
This this this thiiiiis so much this

He's the basic meh 3rd liner while we have guys like Johnsson & Kappy that show much more potential

He's pure trash on the PP. why would we give him more time? Just to make him feel better and inflate his stats?

“Inflate his stats”...as in scoring on the PP? You know, the very thing you’d want him to do? Ok.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Don’t ask me. Guy shouldn’t be a lock anywhere but the fourth line. We have a ton of guys in the organization who does what he does. Most of them are faster or have potential to be much better

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Has previous history on a line with Kadri, so I wouldn't be surprised if things stay as they've been in preseason and he starts the season there. As with a few things, it's in pencil, so if someone else proves better, a change can be made. I'd still consider (R)W a team strength as well, even with the absence of Nylander.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He's got a lot more "offensive points" to give. He's a smart player who is great along the boards and kills penalties really well. The guy will go through a wall for the team. He's your prototypical "glue" guy who had a bit of a down year.

I don't know why some Leaf fans hate Brown and can't wait to trade him.

I also don't understand the obsession with Grundstrom or even Engvall around here either. They are good young prospects but they haven't exactly set the world on fire by any stretch of the imagination. Brown was so much better at the same age.
Probably because a lot of kids here watch southpark and have a negative opinion of "gingers". Kid works hard

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kapanen seems to be just as good defensively as brown, and I think (only my opinion) Kapanen has a higher offensive ceiling
I like Kapanen but other than his skating, he has been a bit invisible. Needs to step it up to be more valuable than Brown

Reactions: diceman934

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
He's a textbook 3rd line winger and that's just not good enough for our roster.

You seem to answer your own question. Why is Connor Brown penciled into the top 9? Because he's a textbook 3rd line winger.

I'm not the biggest fan of Brown but I don't mind him. He plays an unappreciated role.

Kadri and Brown together can play a shutdown role while also putting points on the board.

I'm not totally sold on this 4 line run 'n gun offence. I think we're going to need a defensive line. Kappy-Kadri-Brown can easily play that role. I can see Brown bouncing back and forth between the 3rd and 4th line depending on the opposing roster. Use the above line against teams like Pittsburgh, Boston, Edmonton, etc and go with a more high-octane offence against weaker teams.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I like Kapanen but other than his skating, he has been a bit invisible. Needs to step it up to be more valuable than Brown

Brown has been even more invisible though. He also needs to step it up. Brown and Kapanen have done about as much as nylander for the team this pre season

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I don't get all the hate. Isn't he exactly what we want in our bottom 6?
No such thing as bottom 6 anymore.

You need 3 lines that can do damage and a 4th line that can compete.

Brown's play last season suggests he's a 4th liner.

Reactions: Walshy7

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think he's a player who is a clear candidate to be upgraded on in the future.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
No such thing as bottom 6 anymore.

You need 3 lines that can do damage and a 4th line that can compete.

Brown's play last season suggests he's a 4th liner.

I tend to think 15g / 30p is more 3rd line production. Especially when you add in penalty killing and strong two way play.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He had 28 points last year with 15mins ATOI.

He doesn't drive play. He doesn't generate offense. His corsi numbers aren't good. He was one of the worst primary assist guys in the league. Even Matthews and Marner struggled offensively when given shifts with him. The eye test would indicate he frequently would kill offensive opportunities. He's a textbook 3rd line winger and that's just not good enough for our roster.

His preseason has been uneventful. The Kadri line hasn't looked good. He doesn't have a unique gamebreaking skill like someone like Kapenen does with his speed (not that he's been great himself)

He's just... there. Rarely impactful. You don't notice him. On some teams that might be passable but IMO we are too stacked offensively for him to be gifted minutes with Kadri.

Its too bad Johansson and Kapanen have both been disappointing because I would rather have either in Brown's spot. Hell I would have liked to see Grundstrom or Engvall get a shot with Kadri.

Thoughts?

Where is Brown Penciled in? Do you have Babcock's official roster for opening night?

I don't think he's an amazing player, but to say that Kapanen is "gamebreaking" is pretty funny.

Every team in the NHL has their 3rd and 4th liners. You'll find that they resemble Brown in many ways.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
“Inflate his stats”...as in scoring on the PP? You know, the very thing you’d want him to do? Ok.
Inflate his stats as in putting a worse option on the PP just so we can say he hit 18-20 goals and pat Brown on the back even though it hurts the team by not playing the better option on the PP. ok?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad