Why is Connor Brown penciled into the top 9?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If you actually paid any attention to the discussion that you mined my quote from, it was actually in regards to how our lines would be structured (if we didn't have Tavares), mostly having to do with who Marner would play with. I suggested that Matthews should play with Marner and Brown with Kadri.

Mocking a child with a concussion, my child, in a private message you initiated on a sports forum crossed a line.

I’m 100% certain that paying attention to anything you have to say is a complete waste of energy.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not sure why he is on 3rd line but maybe to get him going. He hasn't been himself for a while now but you could say the same of Kadri. Perhaps Babcock sees him as defensively responsible or even a good fit. Who do you want there? Myself I would put Johnsson.

Leafling

Oct 24, 2015
For the same reason Hyman is always in the top six. They are both gud pros!

Without his finishing ability, brown is not comparable to Hyman. This is coming from someone who didn't want Hyman in top six. Hyman is freakin relentless in the puck battles n his drive is helping that Tavares line a lot (they do have a line driver in marner there too though, so that might skew the results a bit).

To me brown needs to score more points to stay on as a top 9, if willie comes back i see lindholm or AJ pushing brown out of that 3rd line spot.

And yes kadri hasn't been his best but it feels like he's getting closer with every game

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Some might consider Kadri being more successful with Marleau and Marner then with Komarov and C.Brown.
Offensively yes, but defensively you don't see Kadri hitting -3 figures with his boring linemates. Brown is
boring. And if he's on a line with Kadri trying to split the defense and Jake Gardiner on the ice, Brown's job
is not to make a splash.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Some might consider Kadri being more successful with Marleau and Marner then with Komarov and C.Brown.
Offensively yes, but defensively you don't see Kadri hitting -3 figures with his boring linemates. Brown is
boring. And if he's on a line with Kadri trying to split the defense and Jake Gardiner on the ice, Brown's job
is not to make a splash.

Not sure I follow your point.

Kadri has a team worst -5. Brown is -3.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
He had 28 points last year with 15mins ATOI.

He doesn't drive play. He doesn't generate offense. His corsi numbers aren't good. He was one of the worst primary assist guys in the league. Even Matthews and Marner struggled offensively when given shifts with him. The eye test would indicate he frequently would kill offensive opportunities. He's a textbook 3rd line winger and that's just not good enough for our roster.

His preseason has been uneventful. The Kadri line hasn't looked good. He doesn't have a unique gamebreaking skill like someone like Kapenen does with his speed (not that he's been great himself)

He's just... there. Rarely impactful. You don't notice him. On some teams that might be passable but IMO we are too stacked offensively for him to be gifted minutes with Kadri.

Its too bad Johansson and Kapanen have both been disappointing because I would rather have either in Brown's spot. Hell I would have liked to see Grundstrom or Engvall get a shot with Kadri.

Thoughts?

Maybe Babcock didn't have a pen?

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
1 goal (empty netter) in 13 games which equates to a 6 goal pace. This after scoring only 14 last year and 20 the year before that.

Time to send him to the press box? down to the Marlies to regain some confidence? Or to Robidas Island?

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I think his parents spent his first name wrong, cleveland is the correct spelling. Dude is straight ass and is a perfect byproduct of inept coaching.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I haven't been impressed with him. In their first year I thought he was a better version of Hyman, unfortunately he's nowhere close. Hyman has been a beast, and Brown cant seem to do anything very well this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad