Why is Brian Gionta Captain of the most storied franchise in Hockey?

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Because the Canadiens are no more special than any other team in the league, and his leadership is well documented. Not to mention that he was the best pick at the time (Gorges was barely anything more than a bottom pairing defenseman). Why is this even an issue?

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
He was the obvious choice and stop it with Gorges, I mean the guy is playing like a number 5 D right now (and last season) and he's overpaid by around 1-1,5 million...

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
A lot of quality excuses given.

But really there should be no excuses, only blame. Its unacceptable. bottom line. Its the Montreal Canadiens not the Columbus BJ's.

we have lost our pride and balls...

BTW...our captain should be Prust and then Subban in the near future.

NewHabsEra*

A lot of quality excuses given.

But really there should be no excuses, only blame. Its unacceptable. bottom line. Its the Montreal Canadiens not the Columbus BJ's.

we have lost our pride and balls...

BTW...our captain should be Prust and then Subban in the near future.

And who should be our captain when Prust is injured? :sarcasm:

Im fine with Gionta, hard work player respected from everyone..

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Cause he has the right personality for it, quiet, respectable, all that ****.

Perfect leader for a quiet, mediocre team. But not the guy to take us to glory.

In my opinion Plekanec deserved it more. Plek never stops, and he does so many things on the ice and he's been with us since the start.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Pretty much every NHL team has the C on their top player, Habs are one of the few that don't even have a letter on the jersey of our best players

That's poor succession planning

2014 Gorges C, PK A, Pacs A, Gallagher A with the expectation one of the last 3 will replace Gorges and be our C for a long time

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Can someone please help me understand why he is the chosen one.

With all due respect, if you can't understand something as obvious as this decision, I don't think anybody's explanation will do you much good.

He arrived in Montreal has a highly respected veteran player who had won a Stanley Cup and built a solid reputation as a hard worker.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
For nearly a decade this team has been stigmatized as small.

So let's make the face of our franchise and captain of the team the NHL's smallest midget.. !!

It was a mistake in the beginning and a bigger mistake of not fixing it.

You guys are all like ''he's the logical choice''... Come on give me a break:laugh:

You should feel embarrassed! This team has no pride anymore:shakehead

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Seems like a great guy off the ice, but I've been saying for awhile now that he's no longer a top 6 forward at this level. It will be a great day when Desharnais, Bouillon and Gionta are off this team.
Don't forget Briere!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Because stripping a capitain from capitaincy isn't a good idea.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I swear if someone says Gorges again, I'm going to puke in my mouth! I don't like Gionta either but let's not downgrade ourselves by putting Gorges instead.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
I swear if someone says Gorges again, I'm going to puke in my mouth! I don't like Gionta either but let's not downgrade ourselves by putting Gorges instead.

I like Gorges for stepping up and taking Gally into his home. But other than that you can't put a C on a guy who sets examples by only dumping the puck behind the net and only shoots when Gramdma is around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad