Why is Brian Gionta Captain of the most storied franchise in Hockey?

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
We will have to face the fact that we haven't won the cup in 20 years, and that it's now completely irrelevant that the Habs are "the most storied franchise in hockey". We're just a regular team now.

Gionta is our captain because he's the best guy we had for the job. Just be thankful that our captain isn't a 19 yo kid (Landeskog), or a mediocre veteran we just acquired in a trade this summer (Ference). Or even worse (Dion Phaneuf).

And again, with that roster, who the **** should we name captain if it's not Gionta??? I like Plekanec, Paccioretty and Markov, but they are not captain material. Maybe Gorges, but Gionta is still a better option.

Landeskog isn't just any 19 yo kid though... trust me hes way more mature than most people on this board.. but thats an obvious one I guess. :P

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
People aren't considering Subban because he's not respected around the league (no idea if it's the same in the locker room), he's immature and undisciplined. The fact that he's good is irrelevant.

Markov would be a decent option, but he doesn't have much left in the tank. Even though he has a good start of season, he was bad last year, and I have a feeling the same will happen later in the season, and especially in the playoffs, where his lack of speed and energy will hurt him even more. My point being that I doubt he has many years left in here.

I didn't know we were picking captains based on other teams' preferences. And I don't see how Subban is immature. He's grown so much, and he knows exactly what to say and when to say it. I really fail to see any immaturity in his game, on and off the ice. Those who dislike him IMO are jealous. He hasn't done anything in the past 2 seasons to warrant all the negative connotation, verging on slander, that has been said about him.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Yes Subban is the best player on the ice. Yes he makes our team dramatically better. That alone doesn't make him a good captain.

He still needs to mature, once he does he will be universally respected around the league.

I think Subban has a lot going for him. He is a game-breaker. He is passionate. I think he is really professional with the media. I could never see him making the comment Lars Eller did. But there is one area where I do kinda doubt him as captain material......at least right now. For some reason, and I have absolutely nothing to back this up, I just don't see him as a guy who is a good mediator between his own players and a guy they would all look up to as captain. A lot of people make comments about how so many captains are stereotypically milquetoast, but I think there is a reason for that. Because when you lead a group of people you have to keep them united and not offend anyone.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I didn't know we were picking captains based on other teams' preferences. And I don't see how Subban is immature.

He has matured a lot. And I think there are different kinds of maturity. In many ways, Subban was always a mature guy in ways other guys aren't. His work ethic is a good example. He is responsible. He is always about improving himself. He never came across as the binge drinking animal house sort of youngster.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Ha, but what the guy said is right. I played with "one of those guys" he said all the right stuff but he was one of the worst players on the team, if not the league. When he spoke up everyone basically ignored him because he couldn't back it up.

When a better player would speak up guys would listen.

Of course this is beer league but I would imagine the dynamics would be similar in any room.

Difference though is that despite my skill (or lack there of), my teammates choose me as captain/leader.I am aware of my lack of skill level of and always acknowledge it, but I have an infectious attitude and I always give everything I got and that's appreciated by teammates.

Also I think it's bad attitude on the part of others to not listen to a player because they lack skill and commit errors. It's a sign of disrespect. You should always be willing to listen to your teammates when they voice their opinions, regardless of the quality of player, especially when what they say is bang-on despite them being part of the problem.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Difference though is that despite my skill (or lack there of), my teammates choose me as captain/leader.I am aware of my lack of skill level of and always acknowledge it, but I have an infections attitude and I always give everything I got and that's appreciated by teammates.

Also I think it's bad attitude on the part of others to not listen to a player because they lack skill and commit errors. It's a sign of disrespect. You should always be willing to listen to your teammates when they voice their opinions, regardless of the quality of player, especially when what they say is bang-on despite them being part of the problem.

No you're right, I guess my example was of a guy who was just a poor hockey player, he was lazy, would make dumb mistakes yet he tried to tell the guy how to play hockey. Almost came off as a hypocrite?

I know guys like you, I've played with them and I'd be on your team anytime. Favorite type of player.:yo:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
It was supposed to be Komisarek until he decided to ruin his career and sign with the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->