Why is Brian Gionta Captain of the most storied franchise in Hockey?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
For nearly a decade this team has been stigmatized as small.

So let's make the face of our franchise and captain of the team the NHL's smallest midget.. !!

It was a mistake in the beginning and a bigger mistake of not fixing it.

You guys are all like ''he's the logical choice''... Come on give me a break:laugh:

You should feel embarrassed! This team has no pride anymore:shakehead
There's nobody to replace him with. Better off just letting him serve it out and then going from there... Until some of the younger guys get older we don't really have anyone. Prust maybe would be a good stopgap until somebody like Gallagher is old enough. My hope is that Subban matures enough to be captain but he's not ready yet.

It is what it is right now.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
I understand Gorges is great leader, but I always believed one of your best players should be your captain. I mean, watching 24CH, I always find it so annoying when the team is playing like s*** and Gorges is like "Common guys, we need to make a difference...we need to step it up we need to keep it tight" I mean yeah its encouraging but he isn't the one whose going to go out there and make the difference. He's usually the one whose making the mistake. I always thought a captain should lead by example on the ice, whether it be a big hit and or big goal or an important play. Gorges won't make the difference on the ice. Actions speak louder than words. I'm not saying Subban is the next captain, but guys like him, the kids, or even Markov have the abilities to change a game.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I understand Gorges is great leader, but I always believed one of your best players should be your captain. I mean, watching 24CH, I always find it so annoying when the team is playing like s*** and Gorges is like "Common guys, we need to make a difference...we need to step it up we need to keep it tight" I mean yeah its encouraging but he isn't the one whose going to go out there and make the difference. He's usually the one whose making the mistake. I always thought a captain should lead by example on the ice, whether it be a big hit and or big goal or an important play. Gorges won't make the difference on the ice. Actions speak louder than words. I'm not saying Subban is the next captain, but guys like him, the kids, or even Markov have the abilities to change a game.
I'd take Prust over Gorges as captain. And I'd see it as a stopgap which is what we kind of need there for now anyway.

I really hope Subban can be our captain someday. But he needs to mature. No way he's ready for this role now.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
I'd take Prust over Gorges as captain. And I'd see it as a stopgap which is what we kind of need there for now anyway.

I really hope Subban can be our captain someday. But he needs to mature. No way he's ready for this role now.

Prust is another good option. He goes out on the ice and wears his heart on his sleeve. He can score big goals or even fight. Gorges seems more of a talker.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
chara-vs-gionta-o.gif

Do you think in a few years Eller could be a good captain? It's nice when your captain can be a bit of a physical force out there vs a guy like Gorges or Gionta or even worse:

q7lzRav.gif

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
A lot of quality excuses given.

But really there should be no excuses, only blame. Its unacceptable. bottom line. Its the Montreal Canadiens not the Columbus BJ's.

we have lost our pride and balls...

BTW...our captain should be Prust and then Subban in the near future.
Subban is not captain material right now. Probably not ever.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal

I think Subban should be the next captain, but it'll probably be Plekanec or Markov and I wouldn't mind at all.

Rockettrudel

Jun 21, 2010
Subban is not captain material right now. Probably not ever.

Subban is the soul of this team if he was not in this team we'll probably finish 30th. He's the only player in this team who deserve to be captain and yes for me it's all about the stuff he puts on the ice.

Rockettrudel

Jun 21, 2010
I think Subban should be the next captain, but it'll probably be Plekanec or Markov and I wouldn't mind at all.

lol no way man it's the team of Subban,Galchenyuk,Eller,Gallagher,Pacioretty and Price now i dont want a guy like Plekanec and Markov as our captain their time in montreal is finish.

Rockettrudel

Jun 21, 2010

i love you man if it was real life i would kiss you

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Subban is the soul of this team if he was not in this team we'll probably finish 30th. He's the only player in this team who deserve to be captain and yes for me it's all about the stuff he puts on the ice.

Yes Subban is the best player on the ice. Yes he makes our team dramatically better. That alone doesn't make him a good captain.

He still needs to mature, once he does he will be universally respected around the league.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Hey! I'm one of those guys! :(

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Hey! I'm one of those guys! :(

Ha, but what the guy said is right. I played with "one of those guys" he said all the right stuff but he was one of the worst players on the team, if not the league. When he spoke up everyone basically ignored him because he couldn't back it up.

When a better player would speak up guys would listen.

Of course this is beer league but I would imagine the dynamics would be similar in any room.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Ha, but what the guy said is right. I played with "one of those guys" he said all the right stuff but he was one of the worst players on the team, if not the league. When he spoke up everyone basically ignored him because he couldn't back it up.

When a better player would speak up guys would listen.

Of course this is beer league but I would imagine the dynamics would be similar in any room.

Agreed, I wish Markov was more suited for the role tbh. I suspect he has the respect in the room.

I know if I was Subbna/Markov and gorges stood up spewing his ****, I'd probably tune him out.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Agreed, I wish Markov was more suited for the role tbh. I suspect he has the respect in the room.

I know if I was Subbna/Markov and gorges stood up spewing his ****, I'd probably tune him out.

This.

I hated when people told me that we weren't doing good as an unit. FFS ur the reason were not doing good ****.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

I think Markov would already be captain if this were Florida or Colorado. I just think he doesn't want all the blame from the media because he saw what they did to Saku first hand. They've been surprisingly gentle on Gionta though.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Gionta shouldn't be captain. He's temporary around here. We should pick one of the young core to be captain and let other vets be assistant captains. All talk of Markov, Gorges, Gionta being captain is ridiculous. These guys are good pros, but not NHL leaders.

At least somebody like Galchenyuk has the potential to be a top flight NHL leader. Not saying he should be made C now, but it should be soon. Can you really see somebody like Gorges actually leading the Habs to a Stanley Cup a la Chara? I can't.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Gionta shouldn't be captain. He's temporary around here. We should pick one of the young core to be captain and let other vets be assistant captains. All talk of Markov, Gorges, Gionta being captain is ridiculous. These guys are good pros, but not NHL leaders.

At least somebody like Galchenyuk has the potential to be a top flight NHL leader. Not saying he should be made C now, but it should be soon. Can you really see somebody like Gorges actually leading the Habs to a Stanley Cup a la Chara? I can't.
There's nobody from the young core who should be made leader now. They're too young. Plus once you choose a leader what if you make the wrong choice and say Galchenyuk becomes the guy you want? You going to strip the other guy of the C? Just a bad idea to do this now.

Gionta serves out his time, then it's a stopgap with Prust... then hopefully by the end of his one or two year reign one of the younger core is ready.

I don't think Max is good for it. I don't know if Subban can do it (he would be my choice if he can mature) and that leaves Eller (again probably not the right guy) Galchenyuk (way too soon to know) and Gallagher (might be the right choice down the road.)

Can't do it now though.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
A few years ago, people were saying the same thing about Gorges...

Gorges of a few years ago isn't the same Gorges anymore. He doesn't play nearly as well defensively and just seems smaller. I'm tired of constantly recycling captains and taking the safe choice. If management can't find one guy in the locker room that fits the bill then don't name anyone. When the right guy comes along we'll all know.

Markov4Captain

Dec 29, 2009
Montreal, QC
I don't get why people are so against Subban. He is the heart of the team. When he says he's going to change a game he does. He singlehandedly put us back into the Calgary game. He does everything for the team and I think he is the opposite of the selfish person people think him to be. Markov is another option I like (obvious considering my username). He's grown up with the organization, and I'm willing to bet he has everyone's respect. He doesn't need to speak up every 4 seconds a la Gorges. He knows when to make comments (i.e Calling out Price in 2008/2009 after the St.Louis shootout loss, calling out Subban during contract negotiations) but he also knows how to appreciate good players and give them credit when they deserve it. A captain doesn't always need to be loud and proud.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
I don't get why people are so against Subban. He is the heart of the team. When he says he's going to change a game he does. He singlehandedly put us back into the Calgary game. He does everything for the team and I think he is the opposite of the selfish person people think him to be. Markov is another option I like (obvious considering my username). He's grown up with the organization, and I'm willing to bet he has everyone's respect. He doesn't need to speak up every 4 seconds a la Gorges. He knows when to make comments (i.e Calling out Price in 2008/2009 after the St.Louis shootout loss, calling out Subban during contract negotiations) but he also knows how to appreciate good players and give them credit when they deserve it. A captain doesn't always need to be loud and proud.

People aren't considering Subban because he's not respected around the league (no idea if it's the same in the locker room), he's immature and undisciplined. The fact that he's good is irrelevant.

Markov would be a decent option, but he doesn't have much left in the tank. Even though he has a good start of season, he was bad last year, and I have a feeling the same will happen later in the season, and especially in the playoffs, where his lack of speed and energy will hurt him even more. My point being that I doubt he has many years left in here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->