Why is Brian Gionta Captain of the most storied franchise in Hockey?

Analyzer*

He use to care.

Now, it seems his motto is "A **** hasn't been given and won't be given, I'm rich, *****"

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I would have seen Gorges more than him. But that's about it. This most storied franchise isn't quite what it was since at least 20 years....

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He was the best choice at the time. Plus he won't even be here next year so no need to be mad.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
'Cause we don't have anyone better to be Captain.

4th Year now. 4. YEARS.

Lets put this in perspective.

Yvan Cournoyer was captain for 4 years.

How does an over the hill once upon a time midget goal scorer remain captain of the Habs, for 4 seasons. FOUR,,,!!

I will never understand this one:shakehead

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Because Gionta was playing a lot differently when he was given that C. And he used to be known for being a player who played with a lot of heart. Now he has really lost a step, on top of which, his effort seems to have dropped, too.

Other than that, he is a pretty mature guy. Seems like he would be a good mediator, and the kind of guy who would not create rifts among the players.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
We will have to face the fact that we haven't won the cup in 20 years, and that it's now completely irrelevant that the Habs are "the most storied franchise in hockey". We're just a regular team now.

Gionta is our captain because he's the best guy we had for the job. Just be thankful that our captain isn't a 19 yo kid (Landeskog), or a mediocre veteran we just acquired in a trade this summer (Ference). Or even worse (Dion Phaneuf).

And again, with that roster, who the **** should we name captain if it's not Gionta??? I like Plekanec, Paccioretty and Markov, but they are not captain material. Maybe Gorges, but Gionta is still a better option.

anonymous9739872329

May 3, 2006
Around MTL
Leadership, playoffs experience, respect for the game, character. He's not as good as he once was, but we call that aging. It doesn't change that he has the profile to be a captain.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
It's just a letter in the end. If someone wants to lead this team, by all means, I hope that player does.

MTLAzzurri

Mar 2, 2013
We havent done jack **** in about 21 years, the fact that we are the most storied franchise in hockey has absolutely nothing to do with our team today.

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
the habs have zero swag until pk is named captain next year when we trade gio at the deadline

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
Gionta is one of those guys who I think could still be effective on a really good team. He has really lost a step. And he is not as hard a worker as he used to be either. But he still has some decent reflexes and is good at batting one in or tipping the puck. This is a guy who could actually be a decent pickup for a team at the deadline.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
4th Year now. 4. YEARS.

Lets put this in perspective.

Yvan Cournoyer was captain for 4 years.

How does an over the hill once upon a time midget goal scorer remain captain of the Habs, for 4 seasons. FOUR,,,!!

I will never understand this one:shakehead
Who should've been captain the past four years?

Kostitsyn? Gomez? Bourque?

That's what happens when you don't rebuild properly and get a bunch of mercenaries to build your core with. We made things a lot longer and harder than they needed to be.

I don't see an alternative here. Markov doesn't want to be Captain (and he seems like a sullen kind of guy) so who else is there? Gorges I guess is next in line but quite frankly I hate how he acted when Subban was on his holdout so I think he's a ****** choice too.

We don't have anyone else man.

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
I'm pretty sure that he has untapped force potential.

A jedi, he will become.

bech-jedi-o.gif

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Seems like a great guy off the ice, but I've been saying for awhile now that he's no longer a top 6 forward at this level. It will be a great day when Desharnais, Bouillon and Gionta are off this team. Sounds harsh, I know, but it's the way it is.

As for the captaincy. I was good with the decision at the time, but he's regressed...a lot, and I'd move in a new direction with his contract expiring.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad