Why haven’t the Flyers blown it up yet?

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
They should move that Patrick kid while they’re at it. Clearly not living up to his #2 draft position. Bust.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
wrong about Patrick. We don't have anything banked on him. When it comes to him, we're playing with house money.

You're right about Carter Hart, tho. If he's not real, then we are 100% ****ed.

I don't really care what Flyer fans 'banked on' or not. How impactful Patrick is probably goes a long way in determining if Philly gets back to contention or not.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Lol Konecny has only been in the league for three years chill.

They're waiting for their young core and prospect pool to develop.
By the time this happens, Giroux, Voracek, and JVR will be out of their primes. For as deep as the Flyers' system is in terms of NHL talent, they don't have any prospects who project to be stars.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Blaming Philly for not blowing things up? Really?

Lindros
Lecavalier
Pronger
Bryzgalov
Carter and Richards
Schenn for picks
Coaches, gms

Made their share of big moves imo
Lecavalier had 21 points for the Flyers in 64 games. That's not what I'd consider a big move.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Lecavalier had 21 points for the Flyers in 64 games. That's not what I'd consider a big move.
We must be using different stats sites. Not sure where you got 21 in 64. Thought he played 3 yrs in Phila and was coming out of good season in TB (32 pts in 39 games) but ok.

Big name still.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I believe last season only the Penguins and Tampa's top ~5-6 scorers got more points combined than the Flyers top guys.

The problem for years has not been the guys at the top (though logically they should move Simmonds)... but only being a 2 line, ~3 Dman team with inconsistent net-minding.

That is getting closer to being resolved with guys like Lindblom and Sanheim showing very well this season, Konecny taking game to next level, and now Hart in NHL, Myers on way, alongside quite a few other young guys.

Inconsistent netminding. That's very politically correct of you.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
We must be using different stats sites. Not sure where you got 21 in 64. Thought he played 3 yrs in Phila and was coming out of good season in TB (32 pts in 39 games) but ok.

Big name still.
Yeah I just looked at his last year and a half before he was traded, my bad.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
This should their official motto. Philly's goalie saga is one of the more unusual things in league history.For their sake I hope they don't rush Hart.

To be sure: Are you saying they are rushing him now? Elliott and Stolarz are on IR, Neuvirth is playing today but might not make it past the 2nd period. Pickard was plucked out of waivers.

4 Mason years= no saga at all. No saga last season. Mrazek came in late at tdl and did worse than the others.

People not following closely look at the goslies but avoid looking at dmen and coaching (especially pk) for some reason.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
To be sure: Are you saying they are rushing him now? Elliott and Stolarz are on IR, Neuvirth is playing today but might not make it past the 2nd period. Pickard was plucked out of waivers.

4 Mason years= no saga at all. No saga last season. Mrazek came in late at tdl and did worse than the others.

People not following closely look at the goslies but avoid looking at dmen and coaching (especially pk) for some reason.

No his call up made sense but they might be tempted to keep him up. My statement was referencing a larger time frame. They never seem to find their guy and of course they traded Bob.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
This should their official motto. Philly's goalie saga is one of the more unusual things in league history.

For their sake I hope they don't rush Hart.
if look at how many goalies they've gone through in the last 15 years it's actually staggering, it would'nt surprise me if they lead the league in that regard

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think their biggest problem is that their defense is just too young and likely won’t be good enough during Giroux’s peak years. If they’re patient they could have a really good defense and goalie in a couple of years. But how do you replace a player like Giroux?

Reactions: DaphneLion

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think their biggest problem is that their defense is just too young and likely won’t be good enough during Giroux’s peak years. If they’re patient they could have a really good defense and goalie in a couple of years. But how do you replace a player like Giroux?
It's why most Flyers fans wanted Hextall to make more moves this past summer with the cap space they had, to speed up the rebuild. They have so many prospects who won't get to play anyways due to not enough roster spots , they can afford to trade some for help now.

But now, it's likely too late for this season anyways. And the #3C hole could be filled by Frost next year. Myers will be up. Hart...who knows. No matter what, they need to add a reliable. vet goalie for next year...hopefully someone with 2-3 years left and then let Hart "naturally" take over the starters role. Like Vas took over for Bishop.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
if look at how many goalies they've gone through in the last 15 years it's actually staggering, it would'nt surprise me if they lead the league in that regard
Did the math on like 10 teams since 2010. 2 had more goalies. was surprised that Columbus had same exact number. This stuff is way overblown. Teams had 7 different goalies. 5-6 were quite common. Phillly had goalies with 1-2 games played.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
You draft players like Patrick, Frost, Farabee, OBrien. Giroux still producing at elite level.

Rubstov was doing great in his 1st pro year. Of course he got injured. 10 pts in 14 games.
RD Myers playing his 2nd pro year. Doing fine. Huge and skates well.
Veteran dman can be found.
And keep an eye on 3 Euro goalies Ersson, Sandstrom and Ustimenko.

Adding a guy like JVR doesnt tell me they are wasting Giroux.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Flyers problem has always been goaltending . They f***ed up bad not getting a good goalie all these years . Getting Quick isn’t as bad as ppl think he is still elite when healthy and 4 years is doable for Flyers for his contract. Y’all tripping

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Considering what appears to be the reason for Hextall being fired (being overly patient), it doesn't sound like Comcast/Holmgren had the patience for that type of tear down.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
By the time this happens, Giroux, Voracek, and JVR will be out of their primes. For as deep as the Flyers' system is in terms of NHL talent, they don't have any prospects who project to be stars.
This is a correct summation. The flyers haven’t had that wow factor prospect like and Eichel, Laine, Matthews, and such. I’ll keep McDavid out of that group since he’s on another level.

Provorov and Ghost have top pairing upside, but after that Sanheim rounds out their great Dmen. Gudas is very good too, but only paired with shitty people over the past couple years (Amac and Manning). This year he did well with Sanheim before Sanheim became our #2.

Our Wow prospects at the moment are Myers, Hart, and Frost. Myers has T4 upside, Hart looks to be a dynamic goaltender, and Frost looks to be a good M6/T6 upside player.

Frost, Myers, and a couple others seem to be on the brink of the NHL next year:

2019-2020 projected lineup:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
JVR/Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Lindblom/JVR - Frost - Rubtsov?
Raffl? - Laughton - Weise/Aube-Kubel

*Rubtsov Played very well in the AHL before season ending injury. Could make a run for a spot.
*Will we resign Raffl? Arguably the most underrated flyer. Great player with no recognition. Best puck protector on the team, but just doesn’t have the ability to finish.
*Nicolas Aube-Kubel has had his time in the team and looks to make the team next year too.

Provorov - Sanheim
Ghost - Morin/Myers/Gudas
Morin/Hagg - Myers/Gudas
Hagg/Morin

*Can Morin stay healthy? He had amazing chemistry with ghost and they apparently workout together a lot.
*Myers will surely be in the team soon.

Hart
X

They don’t need to blow their team up. Simmonds should be traded for a decent prospect or a 1st. Lindblom is wasting on the 4th line. He should replace Simmer in the T6.

On paper, a good team, however, it’s the execution needed.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Is it just me, or have the Flyers kind of stopped being as "Big Market" as when Ed Snyder was in his prime/still alive? For about a 20 year period from the moment they made the Eric Lindros trade to roughly when they signed Vincent Lecavalier, they went after everything on the market, went deep into the playoffs, spent a massive fortune on the biggest names, ran their team like a media circus, had that big bad swagger, and then it all kind of evaporated and now they're just a quietly rebuilding team, ho hum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad