Why haven’t the Flyers blown it up yet?

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
So the flyers needing five new D-man, 7 new forwards, and 2 new goaltenders in one of the weakest goaltending markets, ever? Plus just getting a new GM and coach. Factor in their core forwards are 30 year olds. Yeah, this is now "quick" retool. Putting frosting on a turd doesn't make it a cake. Just like the Canucks back in that Kassian is our Lucic hey day.

What are you even talking about my guy.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Cap anchor? The guy averaged over 30 goals/year pace in Toronto last 6 yrs. How much do you pay those?

You dont pay 7 million for 1 dimensional player who is 30 and getting injured. You dont pay 7 million for a player who, doesnt create offense, doesnt back check, isnt a superb skater, and doesnt use his 6 ft 3 ft frame outside of parking it in front of the net. You dont pay a slightly better skating Tomas Holmstrom 7 million for 5 years. 5 for 5 sure, but this is an anchor contract pure and simple.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
What are you even talking about my guy.

Gudas, Morin, Folin, Andy Mac, Hagg. Really, winning with that trash? While relying on young D to carrying big minutes? Lets not go into how Ghost negates all his offense with his atrocious "defense..."

Mr. Finnish Escobar, Weal, Simmonds shadow, Weise, Weal, Knight? You going to win with this waiver fodder and rapidly declining Simmonds?

Your 6 goaltenders, now relying on a very unproven rookie in Hart to win.

Time to get Gritty's behind out of your mind, your team is trash...

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
You dont pay 7 million for 1 dimensional player who is 30 and getting injured. You dont pay 7 million for a player who, doesnt create offense, doesnt back check, isnt a superb skater, and doesnt use his 6 ft 3 ft frame outside of parking it in front of the net. You dont pay a slightly better skating Tomas Holmstrom 7 million for 5 years. 5 for 5 sure, but this is an anchor contract pure and simple.
Wow. You do hate him. He scored too many lazy goals on your team? :)

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Theyve held on to their top forwards Giroux, Simmonds, Couturier, Konecny, and Voracek for years.

They’ve had the same top scoring defender Gostisbehere for years now too.
Yeah you're right, they should have got rid of Konecny years ago, when he was 20. At 21 hes way past his prime and riding out his last contract.

Gostisbehere same thing. The guy is 25 years old, probably should have got rid of him years ago when he was a young pup at 22.

Seriously, do you even know what you're talking about? Do better.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Gudas, Morin, Folin, Andy Mac, Hagg. Really, winning with that trash? While relying on young D to carrying big minutes? Lets not go into how Ghost negates all his offense with his atrocious "defense..."

Mr. Finnish Escobar, Weal, Simmonds shadow, Weise, Weal, Knight? You going to win with this waiver fodder and rapidly declining Simmonds?

Like half the players you mentioned are regularly healthy scratches. Corban Knight has played 3 games for them this season. Samuel Morin has played 3 NHL games period, none of them in the last 12 months. You mentioned Jordan Weal twice. Two of the defensemen you mentioned are serviceable defensive defensemen that would play on most NHL rosters. Other than Simmonds, all of the forwards you named are no-expectations 4th liners.

You're on one of those awesome runs where you think you're opening the eyes of someone blinded by homeristic love, but you're actually rambling loudly about a topic you have no clue about (did you just Google search "Flyers roster" and start listing players you either didn't know or knew were bad?). There's plenty of reasons why the Flyers have been bad-to-mediocre in recent years. I don't think healthy scratches are any of them.

They've used 6 goalies and called up Hart because the top 3 goalies on the depth chart have all gone on IR at least once this season and, as is probably the case for most teams, #4 and #5 weren't exactly great.

They've got a pretty good but young and uneven roster, with some real top-end talent and some developing players mixed in with some mediocre old crap players. They've had no consistent goaltending to speak of both in playing quality and health. They had a very bad coach that they had quit on, he was fired two weeks ago and they've played much better since. That's the situation. That's not Sam Morin's fault. That's not Corban Knight's fault.

It's alright to be wrong, or to not know everything about a given subject. In those cases, you can just...not talk. It's pretty easy to do.

Last edited:

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
So the flyers needing five new D-man, 7 new forwards, and 2 new goaltenders in one of the weakest goaltending markets, ever? Plus just getting a new GM and coach. Factor in their core forwards are 30 year olds. Yeah, this is now "quick" retool. Putting frosting on a turd doesn't make it a cake. Just like the Canucks back in that Kassian is our Lucic hey day.
Seriously, what are you even on about? Couts is an absolute gem, Giroux and Voracek are tradable for a big haul, Provorov and Ghost are a really nice pair on the backend, Konecny is pretty decent, Patrick is still young and has a lot of potential and Hart looks like he could be a top goalie one day. The Flyers are in a hell of a lot better place for a rebuild than the Canucks were and even if it's not "quick", it's not like they need a scorched earth rebuild. The pieces are there.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The Flyers don't seem to be a team that likes the rebuild option. I'm not saying they should change their philosophy, but it seems like where they are and where they've been for so many years is right where that philosophy will get you. You're in no man's land.
Sure, it might seem more "honorable" but who cares about that, I would want to win a cup, and as many cups as possible.
And no, changing the draft lottery shouldn't be an option because teams like Flyers don't want to make that hard decision on a rebuild. What ever route of team building you choose, you have to be prepared to take the outcome of that decision as well.
Their philosphy and solid scouting has gotten them some really good players.

You don't have to ''blow your team up' in order to put something good on the ice. They got the 2nd overall pick a couple years ago ffs and were nowhere near the bottom.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Their philosphy and solid scouting has gotten them some really good players.

You don't have to ''blow your team up' in order to put something good on the ice. They got the 2nd overall pick a couple years ago ffs and were nowhere near the bottom.
Well yeah, we all know why that happened. They changed the draft lottery recently. Has nothing to do with the Philly team build philosophy. Which has seemed to be in place long before that.
And like I said, nobody's arguing with their type of team build. But if you choose that type of team build, be prepared for most likely a certain end result.
Mediocre. And kind of murky which way to go from here. No man's land.
"Something good on the ice"? Sure maybe. But a high chance to end up in the middle. Bottom line, no cups. And not looking like any in the near future.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Well yeah, we all know why that happened. They changed the draft lottery recently. Has nothing to do with the Philly team build philosophy. Which has seemed to be in place long before that.
And like I said, nobody's arguing with their type of team build. But if you choose that type of team build, be prepared for most likely a certain end result.
Mediocre. And kind of murky which way to go from here. No man's land.
"Something good on the ice"? Sure maybe. But a high chance to end up in the middle. Bottom line, no cups. And not looking like any in the near future.
This is the thing. It's a league of 31 teams. People seem to think if you're not #1, you have to be at the bottom in order to get there. I disagree.

Personally, I'd be much happier if the Oilers were able to field a competitive team every year without having to maintain a top 10 pick to do it. I would not at all be disappointed in making the post season every year and having a chance at the cup and being knocked out than making the post season once in 12 years. There is plenty of superstar talent drafted in the late first round and beyond every year. People seem to think you have to draft a Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid or Matthews to put you over the top but I think you'd be delusional to hinge your franchise on the hopes that the next 18 year old kid drafted 1st overall is going to be a Hall of Fame legend.

Reactions: God Bless Mr Coffee

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Patrick and Hart both being studs probably puts you guys over the top though to be real contenders.

"Patrick" and "stud" should never be used in the same sentence. Ever. And, yes, I'm a Flyers fan. He's pure snake oil.

Hart on the other hand - we have a good one with him.

To answer the OP's question: most likely because other GM's smell the desperation and are trying to offload their junk for Gostisbehere, Sanheim and Konecny. The Flyers need to play good hockey and get hot so they can make a legit hockey trade without being taken over a barrel.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
This is the thing. It's a league of 31 teams. People seem to think if you're not #1, you have to be at the bottom in order to get there. I disagree.

Personally, I'd be much happier if the Oilers were able to field a competitive team every year without having to maintain a top 10 pick to do it. I would not at all be disappointed in making the post season every year and having a chance at the cup and being knocked out than making the post season once in 12 years. There is plenty of superstar talent drafted in the late first round and beyond every year. People seem to think you have to draft a Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid or Matthews to put you over the top but I think you'd be delusional to hinge your franchise on the hopes that the next 18 year old kid drafted 1st overall is going to be a Hall of Fame legend.
Well see who's to say you will automatically stay bad if you do a rebuild? And you're making a strawman. Who said anything about those names that you pulled up? Why didn't you bring up Kopitar or Toews? It's not about individual players, it's about the direction of the team. What is the team trying to do?
Staying mediocre for years and relying on hope has a shelf life. Yes it's better to make the playoffs consistently, but again, that has a shelf life if you don't win a cup. And let's make this distinction, we're not talking about a great regular season team here, who gets past the first round consistently. Then it would be stupid to think about a rebuild.
And I'm not saying Philly should rebuild now, but, if they get to a point where there is a chance to clean house a bit, and start a rebuild, they should give it great consideration. And not try to avoid it at all costs.
How long do you go before you say, maybe I should try something different? Especially when you look and see different teams around you go on and when cups in that time span, and they didn't choose your way of team building?
And OT: Matthews doesn't belong with those other three. Even if McDavid hasn't won a cup, I think it's about individual talent here, and Matthews doesn't belong with those other three.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Serious question, do you even watch hockey? Specifically the Flyers? Did you just go through their roster and not even check to see if these guys are playing? The guys in blue are the only regulars you listed.

Morin hasn't played a game this season.
Folin has played less than half the games this season and only during injury call ups (he's the veteran #7 every team carries)
Lehtera has been a regular healthy scratch and has played 1 of the last 8 games.
Weal has also been a regular healthy scratch and has played 1 of the last 8 games.
Knight played 3 games back in October, that's all. I honestly forgot he ever played a game.
Hart has played 3 games this season and it's only out of pure necessity with 5 other goalies getting hurt. Neuvirth came back and has played the last 2 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad